• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Optically clear sun glasses

Maui Jim built their brand on top of the line polarization. I have not had any issues wearing them in any circumstances and my old school screens on my bikes are a non issue. Colour clarity and lens clarity is excellent. I think I still have a pair of old Serengeti;s with a broken arm, maybe I could get it fixed?

The best sunglasses (distortion free) was (were?) a pair I had made for me at one of these "1-Hour Glasses" centers. I asked them if they could really grind a pair in one hour (I had a flight to catch, and only had 1 hour to fill). I told them I didn't want "corrective lenses", just zero prescription, no distortion. They said "Sure. Pick out your frame from these. Let's take a few measurements to make sure the frames will fit. See you in 50 minutes!" The pair lasted for years, until I left them on the instrument panel of the Triumph Trophy I was riding. They slipped off the panel, hit the street, and I heard the "crunch' when the car behind me ran over them! Since then, I've dropped back to using a pair of Lazers, which are pretty good, but not as good as the 1-Hour specials.

Bear in mind that polarized lenses (which remove glare) make it difficult/impossible to see the sheen of an fuel spill, oil patch or damp pavement.

That said, I've managed to survive for a number of years while wearing them. :)

Shades

All my helmets have the drop down sun shield so I do not need sunglasses when I ride. However before most trips or vacations, I go to the wall place go to the sporting goods section than to the angling section and find the display of fishing glasses, lots of different styles and colors both lenses ( which are polarized) and frames prices range from $5 to $20 they work well and if they get broken, scratched, or lost then stop at the next wall store and spend another $4.98 and your back in business

I go with clip-on dark non-polarized "flip-ups" style sunglasses which I wear every time I step outside. I flip them up when I go inside. Reason for non-polarized was difficulty seeing the dash on my wethead GS. I found a pair on Amazon but am having difficulty finding a similar pair for when these wear out.

My glasses are tri-focals. I never get those progressive-grind types - tried a pair and couldn't stand them. I can't handle looking at something and seeing blurry stuff.

I don't have any trouble seeing changing road or offload conditions such as wet pavement or ice with my polarized sunglasses. I'm guessing not all polarizing is the same. Makes me think you get what you pay for?

I don't have any trouble seeing changing road or offload conditions such as wet pavement or ice with my polarized sunglasses. I'm guessing not all polarizing is the same. Makes me think you get what you pay for?

What kind of face shield do you have?

Distortion Free / Optically clear sun glasses

I have a light grey / mellow smoke shield on my Shoei RF helmet. I'm riding an RT1100 so I ride with the sun glasses on and helmet shield up most of the time. For sun glasses I have been using iGogs, with either a light orange/rose tint for day riding or clear for night riding. I like the light orange/rose tint. When the sun is real bright I just flip down the tinted shield for more protection. I like the iGogs fit but they do have a slight distortion for reading road signs so if I could find a similar fitting sun glass with the same tint and no distortion I like to try them.

Prior to my last eye exam I had prescription glasses and a pair of sunglasses with the same prescription. This time I opted for prescription glasses with Transitions brand self darkening. They work very well for riding. They do not, however, darken very much when driving because of the UV blocking in the windshield.

I also stopped buying extra sunglasses when helmets started featuring the drop down visor. My normal non riding glasses are photo grays, so no dedicated sunglasses needed. Seems like I was the last to learn there is lately a version of photo grays that will turn dark behind a car windshield and I assume a helmet visor. The original stuff wouldn’t.

One maybe esoteric advantage is the times riding in mountains when suddenly you have to ride through a tunnel. That’s sometimes no fun wearing sunglasses but easy peasy to move up that internal visor. It’s pretty scary when you can’t see potholes or any road irregularities and since you’ve just come from sunlight it’s worse than night driving.

I have the drop down visors on a few helmets but pretty much never use them. Once in awhile if it's crazy bright I'll put it down over my glasses.

Be carefull with polarization. Some bikes instruments (early Kbike gear indicators and clocks for example) disappear when wearing polarized lenses.

Plus wearing polarized lenses behind most helmet visors, whether they are clear or tinted, will give you the wavy/colored lines. :groovy

Bear in mind that polarized lenses (which remove glare) make it difficult/impossible to see the sheen of an fuel spill, oil patch or damp pavement.

That said, I've managed to survive for a number of years while wearing them. :)

Same here. IMO, the benefits of polarized lenses far out weigh the negatives. I have never had problems seeing a wet or icy patch of road. The worst issues are ghosting on the windshield, and it makes it tougher to see the dash and GPS, but in years of riding I have adjusted to it and highly recommend polarized lenses.

I also wear top of the line helmets with very good visors, no issue whatsoever looking through them with polarized lenses. My GPS is so old there's no issue looking at that either but I only use it for speed, time and bearing not navigation. No issue in any cars I drive looking at displays either.

My wife used to wear Serengeti Drivers for motorcycle use.
https://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/en-us/uv-solar-lens/drivers-gradient

This brand came immediately to mind... I used to have prescription versions of these, which were quite expensive. After I lost the third pair in the ocean, I started going to Walmart and buying prescription lenses supplied by Leitz or Nikon. These are quite good and about half the cost of Serengetis.

But if you don't need prescription lenses, or you wear contacts, the Serengeti Drivers are the best you can buy, imo.

I also wear top of the line helmets with very good visors, no issue whatsoever looking through them with polarized lenses. My GPS is so old there's no issue looking at that either but I only use it for speed, time and bearing not navigation. No issue in any cars I drive looking at displays either.

With polarized lenses, you should see the photoelastic stress fringes in any piece of molded clear plastic.

Back