• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Optically clear sun glasses

I have a pair of Zeiss binoculars that I bought in Soviet controlled East Berlin in the 1980s for $20US. An American dollar paid under the table was worth many East Marks.

I have a pair of Zeiss binoculars that I bought in Soviet controlled East Berlin in the 1980s for $20US. An American dollar paid under the table was worth many East Marks.

Have you been back to East Berlin since? The transformation since 2001 has been incredible.

Prior to my last eye exam I had prescription glasses and a pair of sunglasses with the same prescription. This time I opted for prescription glasses with Transitions brand self darkening. They work very well for riding. They do not, however, darken very much when driving because of the UV blocking in the windshield.

Paul the next time you get new glasses get Transition XTRActive instead of regular Transition.
XTRActive will darken in a car or behind a UV faceshield.
I switched to XTRActive earlier this week and they work good in the car.
I was told the XTRActive would not get perfectly clear inside like Transition but I can not see a difference between the two when setting both side by side.
https://www.transitions.com/en-us/products/transitions-xtractive/

This link shows the different Transition products. Click on Menu then Products.
https://www.transitions.com/en-us/

Here my glasses sitting on the dash.
Transition Signature on the left and Transition XTRActive on the right.
XTRActive on Rt (1).jpg

Since I wear prescription lenses the sunglass frames I prefer, Costas, no longer have the supplied non prescription Costa lenses. Instead of Costa the lab my optometrist uses inserts lenses of unknown manufacturer except they are the best that $600 or so can buy. I don't ask the brand but it helps that my optometrist for the last 30 years is my brother so the $600 is retail, not my cost. And yes to polarization for the last 30 years though the advent of drop down sun visors has pretty much eliminated my need for sunglasses when riding. I wear clear prescription lenses when riding.

Back