• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Optically clear sun glasses

oldcarman

I've been doing a lot of reading on who makes really high quality, optically clear sun glasses that are also good for riding motorcycles. Many of the inexpensive sunglasses have cheap acrylic acetate lenses that are not optically clear and may have a slight distortion. Polycarbonate lenses are stronger and more clear and cost a little more. You can also buy high quality glass lens for sport riding and driving. Any thoughts on who makes a really good quality, optically clear sunglasses for motorcycling with a helmet? Thanks, Jim / oldcarman

It would depend on how much you'd like to spend, I think. You could try an online glasses manufacturer like Zenni or Clearly and see what they offer.

My wife used to wear Serengeti Drivers for motorcycle use.
https://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/en-us/uv-solar-lens/drivers-gradient

Our Gradient Drivers lens was invented to help both pilots and drivers to read their instruments and see the world in perfect clarity. This lens is darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. Protecting your eyes from above while providing a clear view of the dashboard below. For pilots, our non-polarized Drivers Gradient finish is the preferred choice — capturing details at great distances without obscuring their view of the digital instruments in front of them.
Overcast to medium light conditions. Ideal for Driving and Everyday use. Available in polarized and non-polarized ultra-light mineral lenses.

Our mineral lenses are made with borosilicate optical glass, coming from Corning®.
Every pair of Serengeti® mineral lenses is unique and comes to life through an intense hydrogen-firing process. Plus, the lenses are chemically tempered to ensure scratch and impact resistance, then ground to perfection.
All this process allows our mineral lenses to withstand extreme temperature changes and gives the best visual acuity you could ever experience.
A full 20% thinner and lighter, our Borosilicate mineral glass lenses are finer than any other lens.
An anti-reflective coating is added to the backside of the lens, cancelling the scattering light that causes reflective glare.

PhD™ 2.0 lenses are composed of a urethane-based monomer and are made from a cast molding process. This gives PhD™ 2.0 lenses the advantage of crisper optics than injection-molded polycarbonate lenses (PC Abbe number: 29-31 vs NXT® Sun Abbe number: 43-45).
The PhD™ 2.0 lens features Serengeti 3 in 1 lens technology: Polarization, Spectral Control® and Photochromic technologies. With a lower temperature sensitivity allowing high performance in any climate, Photochromic technology ensures that the lenses darken faster and deeper even in hotter environments.
A renewable backside anti-fog treatment prevents fog, keeping the vision clear even in case of quick temperature change - like when exiting a car with air conditioning

Last edited:
Take a look at Oakley sunglasses. I have used them for the past couple of decades, on and off the bike. They are very comfortable, crystal clear and durable.

Below are links to a couple of different styles I have used.

I used a set of Oakley Ballistic M Frame 2.0 for years. They were a three lens set which came in very handy for different riding/lighting conditions.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/oa...e-black-frame-and-clear-tr22-and-tr45-lenses/

Recently I went with a a set of Oakley Speed Jacket.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/oa...e-and-prizm-tr22-prizm-tr45-and-clear-lenses/

This is also a three lens set.

The M Frame and Speed Jackets are lightweight and they stay in place. Both frames are designed to be worn under a helmet.

Optically clear seems to be more of a marketing term than a technical one. To me (physics major), optically clear means transmits all visible light without change (no attenuation or distortion). So an optically clear lens would be perfectly clear, not tinted.

I think he wants a sunglass lens that serves the sunglass purpose without optical distortion, or in other words a distortion free lens. I wear glasses. My prescription is progressive tri-focal. I can get sunglasses with this same prescription from the optical company where I buy my glassses (Zenni). I suspect such an optical company can provide a non-prescription distortion free lens.

Optically clear seems to be more of a marketing term than a technical one. To me (physics major), optically clear means transmits all visible light without change (no attenuation or distortion). So an optically clear lens would be perfectly clear, not tinted.

The optically clear sunglasses are found near the pure spring water.

Personally, I've always found Ray-Ban to be the most optically clear. I have Oakley's and Maui Jim's for recreational use, but always grab the Ray-Bans for driving or riding.

It's been a long time since I've worn Serengeti's but that little blip makes me want to look at them again. I have worn many high quality sunglass brands out there over the years and in my opinion Maui Jim produces close to the best on the market. I feel that Oakleys are more about the hype than the lens quality, I've owned a number of pairs but will not use them now. In my opinion all brands bought by Luxotica went downhill a bit afterwards including Ray Ban and Revo, I still own a pair of pre Luxotica Revo's circa 1988 and they are great but the old lens technology means they are thicker and heavier glass. I own 6 pairs of Maui's and their rose lens is my favourite, I have 3 rose and 3 amber, I do not like grey lenses. I only buy their glass lenses as glass produces the best quality. More recently Maui started offering custom builds with choice of frame and lens and now you can get them with built in cheaters-I bought a pair of the bifocals and they were a game changer for me for sure. Good luck in your search.

Be carefull with polarization. Some bikes instruments (early Kbike gear indicators and clocks for example) disappear when wearing polarized lenses. DAMHIK! You'll want to check before shelling out big money for expensive lenses. I caught it with some cheap one thank goodness.

:dance:dance:dance

Distortion Free / Optically clear sun glasses

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I am checking out each on-line. And "Distortion Free" is the more accurate term and the one I was thinking in my head, but Optically Clear is what came out when I began typing. I also sent this question in to Rider Magazine to see if their editors would be interested in doing a story on sun glasses / distortion free lenses.

good Stuff,

oldcarman / jim

Be carefull with polarization. Some bikes instruments (early Kbike gear indicators and clocks for example) disappear when wearing polarized lenses.

Serengeti mentions non polarized lens work best with digital dashes.
My wife always bought the non polarized lens because we were told you can spot wet spots or water on the road better with non polarized lens.

Take a look at Oakley sunglasses. .
I wear prescription glasses and for the past 6-7 years I’ve purchased Rx sunglasses directly from Oakley through their Oakleysi.com site. It’s discounted for first responders and vets.

I always thought they wouldn’t be that much different, but I was wrong. Their clarity and lens tints are the best I’ve ever worn. I generally get bronze-based tints with polarization because it tends to make brown things (deer) stand out against greens.

Can’t speak to their non-Rx lenses, but I’ve become a firm proponent of the Rx stuff.

+2 (or+3?) On the Serengeti glasses. High quality lens and frames. I've had mine (non-gradient variety) for 10 years. Excellent eye coverage. They easily fit inside my Arai, Bell, and HJC full-face helmets.

Be carefull with polarization. Some bikes instruments (early Kbike gear indicators and clocks for example) disappear when wearing polarized lenses. DAMHIK! You'll want to check before shelling out big money for expensive lenses. I caught it with some cheap one thank goodness.

:dance:dance:dance

If you're wearing them behind a face shield, it's the psychedelic era......

I got a special set of glasses last year, just for riding. The frames are Porsche Design, with bayonet arms, so I can slip them on under my helmet. The lenses are clear and non progressive, and I have a sun visor in my helmet. I bring along a set of progressive colour matics, for when I'm sitting out on the patio.

Last edited:
The serengetti has a color that is amazing! Oakley is good too...I'd avoid polarized- love the idea but practically they don't do it- for the reasons mentioned.

Back