Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DrNeo's F800GS Alaska/LDR bike build

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I’m curious as to the symptoms for the SH bearings?
    Thanks.
    OM
    OM - a solid notch in the dead center of the steering range. With the tire off, I could slowly rotate the bars until the center, where the steering would solidly "lock" into the notch. I could just start to feel it while riding the bike on the road, but with the front tire off the ground, it was also noticeable.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    OM - a solid notch in the dead center of the steering range. With the tire off, I could slowly rotate the bars until the center, where the steering would solidly "lock" into the notch. I could just start to feel it while riding the bike on the road, but with the front tire off the ground, it was also noticeable.
    Thanks. I will check my ‘09 F800GS
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Thanks. I will check my ‘09 F800GS
    OM
    A little easier to understand on how to check:

Steering head bearings can be loose and you still might not feel any movement like in the video. The video is pretty extreme!!

I have tightened the steering head bearings on pretty much every motorcycle I have owned. Like the video i get the front wheel off the ground and tighten the bearings until I slight drag when moving the handle bars left to right, then back the nut off about 1/3rd of a turn, tighten all the hardware down and take another feel. If there is any drag the bearings are still too tight. They can tighten up when the top triple tree nut is tightened, so you might have to back of the adjuster nut farther. It doesn't hurt to give the triple trees a couple taps with a rubber mallet before you tighten up the pinch bolts to "settle" the parts together. Any notchy feeling, replace the bearings.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    A little easier to understand on how to check:
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Steering head bearings can be loose and you still might not feel any movement like in the video. The video is pretty extreme!!

I have tightened the steering head bearings on pretty much every motorcycle I have owned. Like the video i get the front wheel off the ground and tighten the bearings until I slight drag when moving the handle bars left to right, then back the nut off about 1/3rd of a turn, tighten all the hardware down and take another feel. If there is any drag the bearings are still too tight. They can tighten up when the top triple tree nut is tightened, so you might have to back of the adjuster nut farther. It doesn't hurt to give the triple trees a couple taps with a rubber mallet before you tighten up the pinch bolts to "settle" the parts together. Any notchy feeling, replace the bearings.
    Nice!
    Added to the “Tag Cloud”.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Alright - new bearings and seals for the front wheel: check!

The bearings weren't too bad, but the seals had seen better days. The previous owner did use a pressure washer on the bike, so that was my main concern, but I found plenty of grease. The seals came out super easy with the 20mm Motion Pro seal driver.

A thread on the rear wheel bearing change- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...gs-on-a-F800GS
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Well, it's been a whirlwind of the last 2 weeks. I now have the MCcruise installed, along with the CanSmart controller, and the Scottoiler.

The last couple days has been spent either answering text messages about the status of spread of Covid-19 or using zip ties to wrangle this amazing amount of wiring. The soldering iron has been getting a workout too as I made modifications to this mess.

I ordered a couple stainless steel wheel spaces from Germany after taking a better look at the ones that were original. (No picture yet). The original were just starting to show wear marks where the seals contact the spaces. The SS spacers are cheaper than the seals, so I thought I'd order them. I also found that I the parts fiche is wrong/misleading when I ordered one side of the front wheel seals, so Max BMW to rescue.

I hope to be posting the bike all put together soon! Then the testing begins!

What an embarrising mess..

Well, it's been a couple more weeks of working on the F800GS. I was able to wrangle all of the extra wiring into the appropriate spots and, so far, they haven't electrocuted me.

Here's a shot of the old wheel spacers - the new ones are stainless and perfectly matched up.

Since the bike was on the lift anyway, I flushed the brake fluid. It's so easy with the MityVac that I generally bleed all my bikes one time per year. I did this previously back in the fall, but it came out darker than I expected.

Last year, I got tired of the little plastic container from the MityVac always twisting and falling over, so I took 5 minutes and some scrap wood to make a stand. It's ugly, but it further reduces the time needed to bleed brakes.

With the bike back together, I've now done a couple short trips around town and a couple short trips in the backroads of Minnesota. The long-range cruising and comfort testing will have to wait for a while. All of the systems seem to work out currently!

The MCCruise takes a little fineness (because it's vacuum operated), but has worked out great in my limited testing. I did have to lubricate the throttle cables that it came with it to reduce the extra pull. After a couple of heat cycles they now seem to be sliding much better than before. Overall, I'm very happy with the system!

Who is the manufacturer of the upper crash bars on your 800 GS?

Quote Originally Posted by 1trvlr View Post
    Who is the manufacturer of the upper crash bars on your 800 GS?
    Those are Touratech upper crash bars