• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camping Trailer

patg

I would like to hear comments or thoughts related to pulling a trailer with pop up tent on a trip this summer. I live in northwest CT and plan on riding my 2014 RT out to the rally in Great Falls this June. Figure while there I'd tour some (celebrate the 50th anniversary of my 21st birthday). There are great things to see out there: Mont Rushmore, Devils Rock, Deadwood, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, all before thee Great Falls Rally. Figure I'd ride to the Pacific coast than back home across the Tan Canada Highway.

Given the length of the trip (my preliminary route is 7000+ miles) and the time I allocated (6 weeks), I will need to haul a fair amount of gear. My thought is that a pop up tent/camper would provide the hauling capacity and portable lodging for the trip.

My questions and request for guidance are:
1. any thoughts or comments on pulling a pop up camper behind a 2014 R1200RT.
2. I found two retailers, Kampact Kampers from Myersatown PA and Solace Motorcycle camping trailer from Greenville SC. I lean toward the Kampact Kamper (they are close enough that ride down and collect the trailer). Does anyone know these trailers? Thoughts?
3. Are there any other trailers available?
4. Are there any used trailers available?
5. Is there a resale market for used trailers if I choose to sell the trailer after the trip.

I look forward to your comments. Patrick

I'd just add that you'll be camping by yourself (I presume) which means a smaller trailer will do just fine behind a 'well-prepped' RT! I too am a retiree. We bought a somewhat larger trailer - a gently used Time Out Deluxe {about 380 lbs w/o any internal or external extras}. We then bought a used K-GT to pull it to Alaska. We had Morton's BMW in VA marry the hitch to the bike and the trailer to the hitch. We're headed to Great Falls by way of AK, the Arctic circle, Chicken, and D2D in Dawson City. I think your RT should manage a smaller trailer very handily, assuming you get some practice-time locally, and then don't overload it on your excursion...
I've had our trailer up ~90mph on the Interstate; it behaves very well - - behind 'The Beast.' I've also pulled it slowly up steep & twisty backroads. You'll need to get some weight/contents up toward the towing hitch for the best handling. U just have to willfully match your driving to the road conditions around every hairpin curve (that you can spot on the zoomed in GPS)... Motoring Will Be Very Different with Four Wheels! Stay Focused...

Give it a Go! You'll appreciate it when you get to where you're going. :thumb
Ciao, HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

First things first welcome to the forum.

I've got a Kompact Kamp Mini Mate that I haul behind a 2018 R1200RT. My mini mate sets up in minutes, you've probably already seen the videos on line, yes it's just that easy. When open there is plenty of room for myself as I travel alone, however I don't think there would be an issue with two. I have the awning and add-a-room packages, I think these are worthwhile enhancements especially if you encounter inclement weather it just gives you a little more space for wet gear and somewhere to stretch out. There is a used market for these campers but they are few and far between and seem to be bought up quickly when offered. They seem to hold their value well if cared for. Maintenance is easy, grease wheel bearings in the spring and again in the fall, wipe things down with exterior awning protectant and wax the gelcoat and your good to go, two saturday afternoons. I do not have a ton of miles on my camper as I purchased it at the end of the riding season, only logging some simple back road miles before putting things up for storage, however it was not even noticeable behind the bike. There are a few other folks here who haul MM's with RT's and those I've talked to have had no issue with this camper telling me it pulls flawlessly and you will not know it's there. I did hear a pretty funny story from one guy about an incident at a gas pump when he cut it a little close but no damage done.

There's a guy from Newfoundland who has done a bunch of video of his mini mate travels and the many modifications he's made to his rig. Here is a link to his channel well worth a watch Old Guy on a Bike.

I purchased my hitch from Dale at Open Road Outfitters, easy guy to deal with. He also has a lot of experience with the mini mate and can fill you in as well.

It's a big decision, I live a distance from you but your welcome to come up and have a look at my setup if you'd like.

Good luck with your choice, I'll be in Great Falls myself, very much like to see your rig and hear about your travels.

Back