• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake light fault, Bike won't start - 2019 GSA

passedetp

Good evening, the bike has been running great with no issues, but today it wouldn't start after I stopped at a Harley dealer of all places.

Once I hit the starter button, it would cycle three times and the TFT would flash on and off three times then show a warning for brake light fault. After a few more tries, it then showed a fault for the fall sensor and then the traction sensor.

After about 40 minutes, it finally fired up and I got it home. I threw on my GS911 and found no faults on the bike. What the !@#$?

Now it fires up like it always has - no issues.

Has anyone dealt with this on the 2019's? The bike has 8400 miles on it and has been running like a top. It was a little cold today - in the twenties, but I don't think that could be the factor. No other significant changes to the bike in the last month.

Thanks in advance,
Austin

If it is not the battery, it could be a loose connector at the ECU or another module. Start wiggling wires to see if you can reproduce the issue.

Gents,
I appreciate the responses. I installed a Hex EZCan in November and intend on digging into the bike again to check connections once I get a free weekend.

So far, the issue hasn't come back. It is the winter time and i am not riding everyday - or as often as I'd like. The bike does sit for days at a time. A part of me thinks it could be the battery voltage, but that is just shade-tree mechanic assumptions.

Regardless, I've been keeping an eye on it and the past few days of riding haven't been burdened with the issue.

Thanks again.

Take care,
Austin

I am thinking it might have been bad juju waves coming from the HD dealership building. That happens sometimes, or so some people are saying. I might be wrong of course, so feel free to offer a better explanation.

Firmware

I had the same issue with a 2014 GSA I purchased brand new. The battery kept draining. Under the warranty, they had it in the shop for days and could not figure out why, after fully charging the battery, it would start to drain and would not start after a few hours. Finally the dealer called BMW Motorad, and they were instructed to totally delete and reinstall the bike's computer firmware. After they did that, I had no issues. I am not saying this is the issue with your bike - I just wanted to relay this experience just in case.

I am thinking it might have been bad juju waves coming from the HD dealership building. That happens sometimes, or so some people are saying. I might be wrong of course, so feel free to offer a better explanation.

Hahaha. Yeah, I haven't felt that awkward in awhile - BMW bike at a Harley joint and the damn thing isn't starting. Also the same place I walked out of when they quoted me for a new Street Glide that didn't have half of what this BMW has.

Still happy with a GSA - even if it didn't start at the worst place a BMW can break at.

- Austin

I had the same issue with a 2014 GSA I purchased brand new. The battery kept draining. Under the warranty, they had it in the shop for days and could not figure out why, after fully charging the battery, it would start to drain and would not start after a few hours. Finally the dealer called BMW Motorad, and they were instructed to totally delete and reinstall the bike's computer firmware. After they did that, I had no issues. I am not saying this is the issue with your bike - I just wanted to relay this experience just in case.

Like I said earlier, I haven't had any other issues with it. I think the "bad juju" thing may be it. I've been keeping it on a battery tender and watching the voltage - no quick discharges as of yet.

Thanks for reaching out. It'll be another option for me if it happens again.

Take care,
Austin

... it would cycle three times and the TFT would flash on and off three times then show a warning for brake light fault. After a few more tries, it then showed a fault for the fall sensor and then the traction sensor.....Austin
Random faults are indicative of a ground issue so in addition to wiggling wires check all the grounds you can find, starting with the battery ground (both ends). Good luck. It once took me almost 2 years to figure out why our K75s would very occasionally stumble on acceleration. That was an electrical connector under the tank. Not one you'd ever move during service either. Electrical issues can be elusive critters. :)

Back