• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 1250 GS 6000 Mile Service

I apologize for getting anyone all worked up. I just thought $284 was expensive for an oil change that's all. It is just $15 short of $300. From now on, I think I will do the 6,000 mile oil change interval service myself and bring the bike to the BMW mechanic to do the more comprehensive $12,000 mile service. You all must make a lot more money than I do.☺️

No, not at all. All part and parcel of owning a BMW with it's 40% snob appeal premium pricing. I do not have more money, as with age comes that "fixed income" demographic. However, there's more to gain than $$$ when it comes to wrenching on ones bike.

No, not at all. All part and parcel of owning a BMW with it's 40% snob appeal premium pricing. I do not have more money, as with age comes that "fixed income" demographic. However, there's more to gain than $$$ when it comes to wrenching on ones bike.

My BMW did not come with that premium package. But totally agree that wrenching, cleaning and maintaining a motorcycle helps you bond with the bike and if you've read "Zen" then you understand. Sure I like to save a few $$ when I can but I also truly enjoy working on my bikes. It is kind of therapeutic.

That being said I also enjoy spending time at my dealer, talking to the Service manager, techs, parts manager and the great sales guys along with the owner. For me it is all part of why I enjoy the BMW ownership experience which very few other brands offer.

If I couldn't afford the services my dealer provides for the GS, I really can't afford to own the GS. I've never been a wrencher, I've never cared to be a wrencher.

I was a professional in my business, actually in two businesses. People paid me for my services. I in turn pay other professionals with the funds I've made as a professional from others who either didn't care to, didn't know how to do what I did professionally.

Dad used to work part time for a caddy dealership. He told me those people didn't care how high the price of gas was. If they couldn't afford the gas, they couldn't afford the caddy to begin with and would buy a smaller vehicle that got better mileage.

Moral of the story, I expect to pay someone what they are worth [ to do the job right ] when I either can't or don't want to do it myself. :thumb

If I couldn't afford the services my dealer provides for the GS, I really can't afford to own the GS. I've never been a wrencher, I've never cared to be a wrencher.

I was a professional in my business, actually in two businesses. People paid me for my services. I in turn pay other professionals with the funds I've made as a professional from others who either didn't care to, didn't know how to do what I did professionally.

Dad used to work part time for a caddy dealership. He told me those people didn't care how high the price of gas was. If they couldn't afford the gas, they couldn't afford the caddy to begin with and would buy a smaller vehicle that got better mileage.

Moral of the story, I expect to pay someone what they are worth [ to do the job right ] when I either can't or don't want to do it myself. :thumb

Wow, I feel like you are trying to insult me. What I hear you saying is in society, I don't hold as much value as you, because you may earn more than me. Therefore I should stay in my place and buy a bicycle instead. BMW Motorcycles are only for us elite people with money. Thanks, that is real compassion and motorcycle friendship.

Wow, I feel like you are trying to insult me. What I hear you saying is in society, I don't hold as much value as you, because you may earn more than me. Therefore I should stay in my place and buy a bicycle instead. BMW Motorcycles are only for us elite people with money. Thanks, that is real compassion and motorcycle friendship.

Actually, brownie’s comment has been the mantra of the high-end car industry forever. It has been skewed a bit by “all inclusive” maintenance packages now in lease agreements.
OM

I wasn't trying, nor was I, regarding insulting you. You hold value to me if I require/want your services. I held value to others when they required/wanted my services. I worked 60-80 hrs a week in my profession, I didn't have time nor the inclination to educate nor fiddle with something mechanical.

And yes, you read my post wrong regarding bmw's only being for the elite with money. So, let me expound on that for clarification.

1. Can I afford a second vehicle along with the family cage [ a motor in this case ]
2. If I can afford a bike, how much can I actually afford monetarily
3. Once I've determined what I can afford to spend initially to get it home,
4. Through research, can I afford the maintenance schedule and any unexpected repairs during it's lifetime because I rely on others expertise
5. How much discretionary income do I have yearly, against the above first 4.

That's how the vast majority make purchase decisions if they are prudent and not caught up in impulsive buying. An analogy, if you will. I would like a 5K square foot home on 50 acres, a cook, a maid, and a Bentley. I run through the first 4 above and decide, no, I can't afford that, so I live in a smaller home on less land, cook and clean myself, BUT, I have 2 cages and 2 bikes instead of the Bentley. If I couldn't afford 2 cages and bikes, and maintenance for them, I wouldn't own them. I started on a used Honda 150 dream in HS because that's all I could afford.

In 50 years of motoring cages and two wheels, I've spent a fortune on mechanics, literally. It is what it is. I accept the fact people get paid good money/charge good money for their services cause I can't or don't want to do that myself. It stings when I get my bills for service too like everyone else I imagine.

Where motors are concerned, consider me an end user having to pay someone else for the opportunity to ride and enough disposable income to afford what I have [ or I wouldn't have it ].

Omega Man recognized the long held mantra, dad just happened to mention it to me after I complained about gas prices during the embargo in 72/3.

Actually I am not at all offended by brownie's post and I agree. It's like buying a premium brand anything ... like a car ... I know owning a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche will most likely cost more to maintain, service and insure. You factor in all those costs when making the decision to buy or not. In addition I know one good riding buddy who has BMW bike, Porsche 911 and 2 jet ski's. He is a professional and works 60+ hour weeks. He has no time nor desire to wrench on his toys. BUT ... he certainly has the disposable income to have that done by the respective dealers. He knows and understands that cost going in.

We all have he ability to select where we spend our $$. While I could certainly afford paying the dealer to do all the service on my bikes I chose to do a lot myself because I enjoy it and have the time to do so.

It is simply about understanding the choices we make. Neither is right or wrong but just understand the risks of any choice.

There is a threshold for everyone and it's not about affordability. Affordability is a priority issue based on resources and needs. However, paying more than what appears reasonable for a given task is the threshold most grumble about and/or make decisions on. This and the art of self satisfaction is what drives most DIY practitioners. If one had to pay $150.00 for a simple oil & filter change for their Ford/Chevy/Whatever truck, I dare say most would or at least consider DIY.

I am fortunate that I'm retired, have time and funds to decide which path I care to choose. For me, putzing around the garage, with four $8.00 quarts of Castro 5W40 synthetic oil (delivered to my door step by Amazon), a $20.00 filter and $1.00 gasket for 30 minutes...beats the heck out of a 6 hour round trip visit to the nearest BMW dealer, where I'm ask to spend $17.50 a quart for oil ($70), $20 filter and $1.00 gasket plus $10.00 for shop supplies (cost of pair rubber gloves and one shop towel I assume) and a donut (free???). Let's say, after a two hour wait, I'm billed for 45 minutes labor ($75.00 would be cheap)...for a grand total of $176.00. Of course, that doesn't count the $15.00 spent on gas and a full day...for an oil change.

So $53.00/30 minutes vs $191.00/8 hours. Thresholds & Choices...we all have them, we all make them.

There is a threshold for everyone and it's not about affordability. Affordability is a priority issue based on resources and needs. However, paying more than what appears reasonable for a given task is the threshold most grumble about and/or make decisions on. This and the art of self satisfaction is what drives most DIY practitioners. If one had to pay $150.00 for a simple oil & filter change for their Ford/Chevy/Whatever truck, I dare say most would or at least consider DIY.

I am fortunate that I'm retired, have time and funds to decide which path I care to choose. For me, putzing around the garage, with four $8.00 quarts of Castro 5W40 synthetic oil (delivered to my door step by Amazon), a $20.00 filter and $1.00 gasket for 30 minutes...beats the heck out of a 6 hour round trip visit to the nearest BMW dealer, where I'm ask to spend $17.50 a quart for oil ($70), $20 filter and $1.00 gasket plus $10.00 for shop supplies (cost of pair rubber gloves and one shop towel I assume) and a donut (free???). Let's say, after a two hour wait, I'm billed for 45 minutes labor ($75.00 would be cheap)...for a grand total of $176.00. Of course, that doesn't count the $15.00 spent on gas and a full day...for an oil change.

So $53.00/30 minutes vs $191.00/8 hours. Thresholds & Choices...we all have them, we all make them.

EXACTLY! YES!

I totally agree! And that is the choice I make. The "reasonable" price for a BMW oil change at the vast majority of dealers is just as you outlined. That is "reasonable" since that is what they all charge. We then get to choose to opt for the DIY plan which I do and love doing. The difference for me is I am 9 miles from my dealer or less than 10 min. But hey I feel very blessed about that.

Did you ask for your MOA discount?

My local dealers offer a 10% discount on parts to BMWMOA members if you ask for it. Not a lot but it's something. No discount on labor but I did receive a coupon in the mail recently off labor this time of year since their shops aren't busy now.

After getting my bikes back missing fasteners, having disconnected hoses, and mauled electrical plugs I decided that I care more about my bike and my own safety than they do, so I do as much of my own maintenance as possible. That includes tires, balancing and all the other regular maintenance. I leave the recalls, warranty work and anything I don't wanna mess with to them. That hasn't been much thank goodness.

I think everybody spends their money differently and there should be no disrespect in what people decide is valuable to them or not. Do whatever pleases you and have a nice day. Then go riding, that is the point, isn't it?

:scratch:scratch This thread is getting too philosophical! We all make choose of what is important to us. Agree :thumb

Well now, that might be construed differently based on multiple factors of varying degrees...but I do digress....yes let’s not vet too philosophical, but perhaps remain factually direct or agree to not type anything...agree? However, we do need a quorum...I yield back my remaining time

My local dealers offer a 10% discount on parts to BMWMOA members if you ask for it. Not a lot but it's something. No discount on labor but I did receive a coupon in the mail recently off labor this time of year since their shops aren't busy now.

After getting my bikes back missing fasteners, having disconnected hoses, and mauled electrical plugs I decided that I care more about my bike and my own safety than they do, so I do as much of my own maintenance as possible. That includes tires, balancing and all the other regular maintenance. I leave the recalls, warranty work and anything I don't wanna mess with to them. That hasn't been much thank goodness.

I think everybody spends their money differently and there should be no disrespect in what people decide is valuable to them or not. Do whatever pleases you and have a nice day. Then go riding, that is the point, isn't it?

Gee, one would think that “Master BMW Tech” would be more professional and caring. Felt your bewilderment more than once.

Gee, one would think that “Master BMW Tech” would be more professional and caring. Felt your bewilderment more than once.

Agree! Everyone I've done business with is. And they are more experienced than me ... or most DIYers

Bought my GS from a BMW dealer and have never returned for service there. I have a master mechanic on Beemers work on my bike, and no one else. He charges me 90.00 an hour for labor, and when he says the work is done, it's not only done but done correctly the first time, every time. He has other mechanics that could do the work, the deal we have is he works on my bike, no one else.

He's worth every penny I pay him in confidence the bike is tip top under his watchful eyes/hands. He gives me his old rate because no one touches my GS but him, including tires, tire changes, oil changes and scheduled full services. If he says it's done, it's done. Dealers, on the other hand, I don't trust them for the fact their mechanics are turned over far too often to have the knowledge my own mechanic has.

Bought my GS from a BMW dealer and have never returned for service there. I have a master mechanic on Beemers work on my bike, and no one else. He charges me 90.00 an hour for labor, and when he says the work is done, it's not only done but done correctly the first time, every time. He has other mechanics that could do the work, the deal we have is he works on my bike, no one else.

He's worth every penny I pay him in confidence the bike is tip top under his watchful eyes/hands. He gives me his old rate because no one touches my GS but him, including tires, tire changes, oil changes and scheduled full services. If he says it's done, it's done. Dealers, on the other hand, I don't trust them for the fact their mechanics are turned over far too often to have the knowledge my own mechanic has.

That sounds like a great set-up. Pretty much exactly the deal I have with my dealer. There is only one tech who works on my bike so when I make an appointment the Service Manager schedules it with him. And HE does ALL the services on my bike even tires. And I always chat with him before and after the service. And I always can wait for the service to be done. The only difference is the labor rate ... it's $135/hour but there are almost always specials that give me 10% or more off my service ... such as weekday service appts., winter service appts. etc. If had a set up like yours I would probably take full advantage of it as well.

While some may think this is horrifying, I like to give/leave a “tip” for the person that worked on my equipment.
I have found a little appreciation goes a long way.
OM

While some may think this is horrifying, I like to give/leave a “tip” for the person that worked on my equipment.
OM

Funny you should mention that ... at Christmas the Service Manager, my Tech and the Parts Manager all get a "Christmas Tip" from me.

Fred Rau wrote a nice article in MCN a few months back talking about just this topic and how he always tips the folks at his dealership.

OM

I tip my mechanic in food [ lunches ] and at Xmas he gets a gift certificate to take his better half out to eat. He doesn't expect it, but he knows I appreciate his workmanship and attention to detail on my bike. :thumb

Back