Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: R 1250 GS 6000 Mile Service

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Coffee and donuts....
    Yes ... my local dealer has donuts and coffee every Saturday .... and lunch every Saturday at noon !
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Yes ... my local dealer has donuts and coffee every Saturday .... and lunch every Saturday at noon !
    No lemonade?
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    No lemonade?
    Hmmm NO ... I will have to tell them to work on that !!
    Ed Apelian

Resetting the service reminder is listed on the BMW Maintenance Schedule. If they quote a price for a “6000 mile service”, then it should be included. If they price in an ala carté fashion then expect to pay for it as a discrete item. My dealer does not charge for it as separate item.
    The OP was asking about clearing the service reminder if he did his own service.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The OP was asking about clearing the service reminder if he did his own service.
    Thanks, I did not catch that. I suspect a dealer will charge 1/2 hour of labor for that service. That is most of the cost of setting up MotoScan on a smart phone so it can be done on home.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Thanks, I did not catch that. I suspect a dealer will charge 1/2 hour of labor for that service. That is most of the cost of setting up MotoScan on a smart phone so it can be done on home.
    It should be part of ANY service but I’ve had the just reset it for me.

I really have an awesome dealer
    Ed Apelian

Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Looks about right (in this day and age) to me.
    OM

I just got an offer via email from the Ford Dealer offering to change the oil in my truck for $49.00. That's oil, filter and labor. How much was the same service on the bike? Two hundred what! Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by apbehnen View Post
    I just got an offer via email from the Ford Dealer offering to change the oil in my truck for $49.00. That's oil, filter and labor. How much was the same service on the bike? Two hundred what! Just saying.
    Apples and oranges.

Yes ... I can get the oil changed on my Chevy truck (6 qts full synthetic), filter and tire rotation for $49 or less. it's really not a fair comparison.
    Ed Apelian

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    To make a fair comparison it seems that you would have to see how much the Ford dealer would get to service the bike and how much the bike shop would get to service the Ford.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Apples and oranges.

Yes ... I can get the oil changed on my Chevy truck (6 qts full synthetic), filter and tire rotation for $49 or less. it's really not a fair comparison.
    How is it apples and oranges. You unscrew the drain plug, the old oil comes out. You change the oil filter. Put the drain plug and a new crush washer and oil filter back on. You pour the new oil in.

How is it apples and oranges. You unscrew the drain plug, the old oil comes out. You change the oil filter. Put the drain plug and a new crush washer and oil filter back on. You pour the new oil in.
    But besides changing the oil and filter, does the Ford service writer talk to you about your truck and tell you what all he did to it and did you have great donuts and a nice chair to sit in with TV on and newspaper waiting for you? Sure he did. And did he give you a van ride home or to work and come back to pick you up at end of day (or to the local fitness center for a workout)? Sure he did. Did he give you a "Free Safety" inspection (check your battery, tire tread, light bulbs, belts, fluids) and offer to wash it for the same $49.00? He probably did...my Honda (car) dealer does all that for $12.95 (if you purchased your car from them), for term of ownership. I imagine the motorcycle dealer would only charge you $250.00 to $300.00 for that same service (minus the customer service car ride to home/work and back and wash of course). It is definitely apples and oranges, in one case you buy just an apple. In the other, you must purchase a portion of the entire orchard.

https://www.donayreshonda.net/about/oil-change/
    MOA #46783

Everyone should realize that BMW motorcycle service intervals are ridiculously short simply and only because it covers BMW’s liability to have a trained professional inspect your bike as often as possible. The likelihood of driver injury is significantly greater compared to BMW’s cars.

This is altogether not a bad idea ... it’s certainly not “just an oil change.” Since the intervals are so short, our bikes are the only modern German vehicles I’m aware of where non synthetic motor oil is still permitted. And ... yes I understand it’s a little different with wet clutch bikes using engine oil in transmissions, but these intervals predate that change.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    To make a fair comparison it seems that you would have to see how much the Ford dealer would get to service the bike and how much the bike shop would get to service the Ford.
    OM
    Not possible...bike lifts just can't get those Ford trucks up in the air.
    MOA #46783

OK ... I hate this is beginning to seem like an "oil thread" ... but ... The Ford dealer is a mass production shop that does dozens if not hundreds of oil changes a day. They are a volume dealership churning out as many as they can. I suspect you don't know (and maybe don't care) what tech did the oil change and I suspect it may be a jr. tech so he/she is not experienced in the same manner as a BMW Master Tech would be. Also, remember the OP was discussing the 6K service and not just an oil change. If you look at what that includes it is much more than just draining the oil and spinning off the filter. OH ... and while not a lot .. .on a BMW motorcycle to do an oil change there is many times body work or skid plates to remove. On a Ford there is a drain plug and fill plug. BMW dealers are low volume shops just by the nature of the product and they have overhead. There is always a BMW Master Tech wrenching on my bike and he is making a hell of a lot more than the kid changing the oil at the Ford dealer and for ME I like it that way as that Master Tech tells me about what he saw on the bike, brake wear, Tire wear (not just do I or don't I need tires), and other items he may or may not see and yes there have been times when they have noticed things I never would, nor would the kid changing the oil at the Ford dealer. And my BMW motorcycle is for ME (maybe not everyone) my "baby" ... my pride and joy ... my toy and my hobby. Also, I am trusting the person working on my bike with my life. No an oil change is not a life or death issue but that Master Tech is looking over my bike and making sure it is safe with no issues so that I will hopefully live to ride another day. I have a relationship with the Tech, the Service Manger, and the dealership. I DO NOT have any of that with my Ford (actually for me it's a Chevy) dealer. And honestly for me that is fine. My interaction with the Chevy dealer is a transactional business. There are half dozen Chevy dealers near me that can all provide the same $49 oil change / tire rotation. There is ONE BMW dealer 10 miles from my house and the next one is 100 miles away. The relationship I have with my motorcycle is different than the relationship I have with my Chevy truck and the relationship I have with my BMW dealer is different than the one I have with my Chevy dealer. Every time I go in for service at the 2 Chevy dealers I most frequently use there is a new service writer and I never see the tech. BMW motorcycles are a premium product and I expect premium service and I get it. But that is just me. I do my own oil changes and most fluids and filters. But anything else I trust my local dealer who has always been honest and fair.
    Ed Apelian

There is no excuse anyone on this forum can make on the cost of a oil and FD change. NONE

It is a pure rip off.

You might want to dream and say the dealer goes over the bike and blah blah. Talk to a mechanic some time. Your lucky if they even eye ball your brake fluids and you antifreeze. Now there are good techs out there but far and few between.

You are drinking way too much Kool-aid if you think every dealer is doing the 600 the way it is written up on the 600 mile service sheet.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW