• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 1250 GS 6000 Mile Service

My dealer charged $389

Oil, filter, & gasket were $84

Labor was 2.5 hrs @ $114/hr

Shop supplies $14

tax $6

What was posted about the checklist was similar to my invoice.

Hope this makes your $285 have less of an impact. :beer

Hopefully it will cover how to clear the maintenance reminder warning from the TFT.

This requires a GS-911 tool or some type of scan tool.
Since we have two bikes and a long ways from our dealer it was worth it to me to buy the tool.
Since you have a dealer close by I would ask how much they charge to clear the service reminder.

Last edited:
That was my thinking too! That they actually did the annual service along with the 6K and actually did more than you suspect. Honestly less than $300 for a 6K service sounds very fair to me. I do my own oil and save about $100.

No the valve adjustment and other things are done on the 12,000 mile service according to the maintenance schedule that came with the bike. The maintenance schedule says oil change and check air filter for the 6,000. I think they may also check fault codes and update firmware if needed.

This requires a GS-911 tool or some type of scan tool.
Since we have two bikes and a long ways from our dealer it was worth it to me to buy the tool.
Since you have a dealer close buy I would ask how much they charge to clear the service reminder.

Resetting the service reminder is listed on the BMW Maintenance Schedule. If they quote a price for a “6000 mile service”, then it should be included. If they price in an ala carté fashion then expect to pay for it as a discrete item. My dealer does not charge for it as separate item.

Four quarts of Advantec oil at $17.50 each; oil filter at $19.97; gasket ring at $0.76 for a total parts cost of $90.73.
Labor was $133.35

"Shop Supplies". $33.34

Tax $27.11

Total: $284.53

$33.34 for shop supplies....techs must wipe their hands on fine linen shop towels after spraying 3 grams of cleaner and wiping out the funnel. I'm all for paying a fair price, but buyer beware.

$33.34 for shop supplies....techs must wipe their hands on fine linen shop towels after spraying 3 grams of cleaner and wiping out the funnel. I'm all for paying a fair price, but buyer beware.

Probably the bulk of this charge is disposal of the used oil and filter. Probably some of the changes help amortize the cost of the wall of BMW specific tools the shop needs to function.
Running a business nowadays is difficult. Making a living as the owner of a business nowadays- even more difficult.
OM

Probably the bulk of this charge is disposal of the used oil and filter. Probably some of the changes help amortize the cost of the wall of BMW specific tools the shop needs to function.
Running a business nowadays is difficult. Making a living as the owner of a business nowadays- even more difficult.
OM

+1 Omega Man .... and trying to hire and keep expert techs. :thumb

All reasons why I try and give my local dealer my tire, battery and accessory business too. I do the simple maintenance and let them do some of the other stuff like valve adjustments, brake flush, etc.

Resetting the service reminder is listed on the BMW Maintenance Schedule. If they quote a price for a “6000 mile service”, then it should be included. If they price in an ala carté fashion then expect to pay for it as a discrete item. My dealer does not charge for it as separate item.

The OP was asking about clearing the service reminder if he did his own service.

The OP was asking about clearing the service reminder if he did his own service.

Thanks, I did not catch that. I suspect a dealer will charge 1/2 hour of labor for that service. That is most of the cost of setting up MotoScan on a smart phone so it can be done on home.

Thanks, I did not catch that. I suspect a dealer will charge 1/2 hour of labor for that service. That is most of the cost of setting up MotoScan on a smart phone so it can be done on home.

It should be part of ANY service but I’ve had the just reset it for me.

I really have an awesome dealer

Truck

Looks about right (in this day and age) to me.
OM

I just got an offer via email from the Ford Dealer offering to change the oil in my truck for $49.00. That's oil, filter and labor. How much was the same service on the bike? Two hundred what! Just saying.

I just got an offer via email from the Ford Dealer offering to change the oil in my truck for $49.00. That's oil, filter and labor. How much was the same service on the bike? Two hundred what! Just saying.

Apples and oranges.

Yes ... I can get the oil changed on my Chevy truck (6 qts full synthetic), filter and tire rotation for $49 or less. it's really not a fair comparison.

To make a fair comparison it seems that you would have to see how much the Ford dealer would get to service the bike and how much the bike shop would get to service the Ford. ;)
OM

Oil Change

Apples and oranges.

Yes ... I can get the oil changed on my Chevy truck (6 qts full synthetic), filter and tire rotation for $49 or less. it's really not a fair comparison.

How is it apples and oranges. You unscrew the drain plug, the old oil comes out. You change the oil filter. Put the drain plug and a new crush washer and oil filter back on. You pour the new oil in.

Back