• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 1250 GS 6000 Mile Service

apbehnen

Just got back from having my R1250 GS serviced at my local BMW Motorad Dealership. I brought it in for the 6,000 mile service which is an oil and filter change. I almost fell on the floor when they handed me a $285 bill (which included the 9% sales tax). When did it get so expensive to change oil. I dread what it is going to cost me for the 12,000 mile service which is an oil change, valve adjustment, etc. If I knew the torch values for the oil drain plugs and oil filter, I would start changing it myself.

Oil changes are straightforward on this bike. Correct tools, parts, level of attention, and attitude will get you there.

Best of luck !

Just got back from having my R1250 GS serviced at my local BMW Motorad Dealership. I brought it in for the 6,000 mile service which is an oil and filter change. I almost fell on the floor when they handed me a $285 bill (which included the 9% sales tax). When did it get so expensive to change oil. I dread what it is going to cost me for the 12,000 mile service which is an oil change, valve adjustment, etc. If I knew the torch values for the oil drain plugs and oil filter, I would start changing it myself.

There is a lot of help to get you through these maintenance tasks. Have you looked through here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70623-Wetheads-Accessories-Mods-and-DIY-s
Torque values are simple and someone is sure to post those values. I’m prone to using what has become known as “mechanics feel”.
Good luck.
OM

I suspect this is similar for the R1250, but here's what A&S Cycles has on their site for the 6000 mile check on the R1200GS:

https://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSchedules/R1200GS_6K.pdf

How does that compare with your bill sheet? Seems like they would mention all that was done.

That was my thinking too! That they actually did the annual service along with the 6K and actually did more than you suspect. Honestly less than $300 for a 6K service sounds very fair to me. I do my own oil and save about $100.

One can purchase recommended grade Castrol oil on Amazon for...6 quarts for $50.00 https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Powe...ll+synthetic+motor+oil&qid=1578539418&sr=8-18

A real official BMW oil filter for about $20.00 at any dealer....and a new (not that ya need it most of the time) $2.00 metal washer for drain plug.

So $55.00 on an oil change. Then learn how to check for loose nuts and bolts, eyeball pads, look for leaks, check for burnt out bulbs/LEDs and check air pressure...all this for whatever you want to charge yourself hourly...LOL.

At least every other service (minor) for under $60.00. For major service learn to change air filter, rear drive fluid, brake fluid, spark plugs and check valve gap. These are not difficult procedures. If ya think a valve needs adjusted take it in, unless you want to take that on also. I would see dealer for software updates every 12,000 or so. However, you can certainly take some of the sting out of ownership by doing what you can at home.

BTW, I've been told a 12,000 mile check on my F850GSA would be $650 to 725 depending on valve gap needs or not. We'll see about that.

The 12K service on my 2016 RT was $447 which includes Tax of $30 and the following

• Valve Check (had them re-use the gaskets)
    New Spark Plugs
    New Air filter
    Final Drive fluid swap
    All required checks and software stuff

I did may own oil and filter.

Was happy with that cost.

I do my own maintenance in general but 285 sounds about right. 1.5-2 hrs labor at 90/hr and close to 100 in parts at list. My dealer is kind enough to let me know the cost of the first service on a new bike in advance -- largely, I suspect, because he knows I do my own work (including tire mounting/balance) and expects me to complain (which I don't). Also note that most manufacturers set labor times for most jobs so the dealer charges you that amount for labor regardless of whether the tech took less or more time to do it.

And, if you have a Triumph triple and are tempted to save money by checking the valves at 12k yourself (on the theory that they likely don't need adjusting and at least you'll save money by taking everything apart and letting the mechanic just change the shims) resist that urge and poney up whatever they want.

Oh ... and just a comment on hourly labor rates. I used to be one to complain about the rising cost of labor rates at my BMW dealer which today are $135/hour. BUT ... I have gained a lot of wisdom over the years and learned that in some cases you truly do get what you pay for and at a BMW dealer we own premium brands and expect premium service which is truly what I receive. But most important is that because my dealer pays his service team well they not only stay at the dealer for many years but he is able to recruit experienced techs from all over the country. His techs have relocated from NY, NJ, RI and CA to work at his dealership. In addition I am able to 1) schedule an appointment WITH the tech I desire (since 2000 there have only been 3 techs who have worked on my bikes), 2) I can nearly always wait for my service in a very nice waiting area and 3) in most service visits the TECH will chat with me about what he did, what he found and his general observations. All of this allows me to build a relationship with the superb Service Manager and the techs who not only know my bike but know and understand ME. They never try to "sell" me anything and also understand that I do about 1/2 the service myself most times i.e. fluids and filters. I truly believe that they treat me fairly and I get the premium service I expect. Could I get some of the services done for less ... probably but for me my dealer is like family.

And, if you have a Triumph triple and are tempted to save money by checking the valves at 12k yourself (on the theory that they likely don't need adjusting and at least you'll save money by taking everything apart and letting the mechanic just change the shims) resist that urge and poney up whatever they want.

I owned a Triumph Trophy SE... OMG what a pain to service!

6K mile service

Break down the bill, please. What is the labor rate? Time billed? Cost of oil and filter?

I think its worth asking what else was completed or checked during that service. The oil change is one thing, a valve gap check is also reasonable at 6K and might consume some additional time.

To the original poster: if you know which direction to turn a fastener to loosen or tighten, you can handle an oil change on these bikes. Everything you need access to is accessible, and with a little bit of information (see above links and documents), you can do this! A shop manual would also be a wise purchase. My bike hasn't been back to the dealer in 100,000 KMs (I do it all) - mind you, I'm probably a little more prepared than the average shade tree mechanic (but I'm no certified BMW mechanic).

Gather thine courage... You can do it!

You should be ashamed of yourself. How can you be a BMW owner and be shocked by a $295 oil change! Did the service manager chuckle when he handed you the bill, or did he keep a strait face?

When/if you have the dealer do the 12K service, be prepared for there to be a line item for new Valve Cover Gaskets (which are not cheap and can be used many times). You have to ask to re-use the existing ones, and most dealers that I've dealt with have accommodated this request.

I started doing my own serve beginning with the 18K service (which is just an oil change, because its the same as the 6K service). I invested in a GS-911 since it allows you to reset the service indicator along with most every other service item on the bike.

I should hit the 24K service around March, and along with the Oil and filter, Air Filter, Valve clearance check, spark plugs, and final drive fluid change, I'll do the brake fluid change, brake pads (they're getting low) and have the battery load tested.

For documentation, I print out the BMW service schedule and tick off each completed item along with the date, odometer reading, and receipts for the parts used. You never know when/if you'll need some sort of proof that you did the service and when.

I started doing my own serve beginning with the 18K service (which is just an oil change, because its the same as the 6K service). I invested in a GS-911 since it allows you to reset the service indicator along with most every other service item on the bike.

I should hit the 24K service around March, and along with the Oil and filter, Air Filter, Valve clearance check, spark plugs, and final drive fluid change, I'll do the brake fluid change, brake pads (they're getting low) and have the battery load tested.

I recommend Speed Bleeders, they make the job of brake fluid change fast, easy and a 1 person job. I'd reach out to the folks at http://speedbleeder.com/ The site doesn't list any 1250's. I helped them get the correct sizes for my 14 RT Wethead. They are great people to work with.

Breaking down the bill

Break down the bill, please. What is the labor rate? Time billed? Cost of oil and filter?

Four quarts of Advantec oil at $17.50 each; oil filter at $19.97; gasket ring at $0.76 for a total parts cost of $90.73.
Labor was $133.35

"Shop Supplies". $33.34

Tax $27.11

Total: $284.53

Four quarts of Advantec oil at $17.50 each; oil filter at $19.97; gasket ring at $0.76 for a total parts cost of $90.73.
Labor was $133.35

"Shop Supplies". $33.34

Tax $27.11

Total: $284.53

Looks about right (in this day and age) to me.
OM

Thanks

One of the forum members has videos for the new Shift Cam motors, but according to his tech links the torque values will be posted when available.

Hava a look here at what he posted https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?96324-R1250-Shifthead-(Shiftcam)-Service-Video-now-available!

This is awesome. I did most of my own service on my 1150 gs. It was pretty straight forward. The new shift cam motor makes me a little nervous since the bike is under warranty and I don't want to be blamed for screwing anything up. I should be able to handle it with this video. Hopefully it will cover how to clear the maintenance reminder warning from the TFT.

Back