• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

proper aspect ratio choice for tires on 2004 R1100s

carfont

I am ready to put new tires on my '04 R1100s. I've read several reviews of tire options and think I'm going to try the Dunlap Roadsmart III tires. My existing Michelin 2GT are 120/70ZR17 front and 160/60ZR17 rear.

Should I consider wider or taller tires? Should I consider lower profiles? This is my first motorcycle, my first tire change, I don't want to make a mistake that I have to live with for 10K miles. I'm sure over the years other owners have experimented with these size/configuration issues and perhaps shared a consensus as to what works best.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/responses.

Carfont

Stock size is 120/70-17 front and 170/60-17 rear. Unless you have the 5.5 inch rear wheel where the size is then 180/55-17. Those are the tire sizes you should use because those are the ones which work best.

You will be very happy with the Dunlop Roadsmarts.

Tires

Stock size is 120/70-17 front and 170/60-17 rear. Unless you have the 5.5 inch rear wheel where the size is then 180/55-17. Those are the tire sizes you should use because those are the ones which work best.

You will be very happy with the Dunlop Roadsmarts.

As BC1100s says, stay with the stock sizes. I run the same sizes on my '04 RT and recently switched from Michelin's to Dunlop's.

So far, the Dunlop's have worked very, very well. And they were over $100 cheaper when Dunlop was doing the rebate thing.

R1100s aspect ratio of tires

Thank you both!

I am pretty sure I do have the 5.5 inch rear wheel, so the 180 width tire would be appropriate. I will replace both tires with confidence now. I really value being able to ask these questions and get reponses from other owners with experience.

Respectfully,
Carfont

Confirm your rear wheel size - its cast into the wheel near the hub or on one of the spokes - and get the appropriate tire. And don't forget to use, and frequently check, the factory-recommended tire pressures. It makes a huge difference in handling and tire life.

Tire’s and pressure another great thread starter, you probably have the 5” wheel which is the 170 rear I’ve done Michelin’s which are great but pricey I have Avon’s on my 11s right now the front is not holding up as well but I’ve been riding it pretty hard since I got my GS which is now my everyday bike Dunlop is a great American made tire. I’m assuming you’re going to be riding the sierras (mosquito ridge road one of the greatest roads) I would lean towards a sportier tire unless it’s going to be a commuter but if it is going to be a Sunday morning bike you’re going to want sticky over mileage. I don’t care what they say you can’t have both, I would lean Dunlop. If I ever got 10k out of any tire I would change my name to Michelin.

Back