• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suzuki DR650SE vs BMW G310GS

One of the reasons I bought the DR, instead of an F650 or a Kaw KLR was that the DR is air cooled. Just like all of the BMW's I have owned.

Being the DR 650 was introduced around 1990 it doesn’t surprise me there is more information/experience with the 650 vs the 310.
OM

The only negative in my mind of the DR650 is the weight, if you really plan a lot of off-road riding. With fuel (especially if you add a longer range tank), it's pushing 400 lbs. While that may not seem like a lot based on the weight of most BMW's, if you're picking it up a few times (riding off-road, you WILL be picking it up) on a steep dirt road with poor footing, you'll know what I mean. For comparison purposes, there are several guys on ADV Rider currently doing RTW rides on KTM 500 EXC's...they are about 265 lbs with full fuel load. My off road bike of choice is a KTM 350 EXC, although it wouldn't likely be the bike I would want if I needed to do a lot of pavement. I'm fortunate to have virtually unlimited forest road riding about 2 miles from my house. It's around 250 lbs.

I’ve ridden a dr650 around the White Rim and was glad to have the torque for the Hogback and sandy sections. Also had it over Imogene and again was glad for the power at higher elevations, where a Klr250 was not enough. I’ve ridden it over 400 miles in one day and yes, the stock seat is narrow but also flat so you can move around on it and are not locked into one position.

My first DR650...loved this bike...1990 I paid $750 for...lol Guy sold it cheap because he could never get it started...I knew "the trick"...fixed it up and rode it for a year and half and sold it for $2000 :)

Wow, at that price I would never pick at nits! I am pretty sure this bike would do in any case. I have briefly looked at lower displacement Suzuki's but they cost about $1000 CAD more (new) than the 650.

Apples and Oranges

Reading thru these posts........no one has championed the G310. Interesting.

I like my 310GS a lot but it does not work for me in deep sand. I like the 310GS enough that I plan on going on a long adventure like trip (if the wife waves the green flag) this year. The Haul Road is calling. But that does not make the GS a deep woods Michigan sand bike. Its the geometry of the bike holding it back. Lots of people ride the 650 DR but I don't see them out on the ORV trail I maintain. I rode for many years a DRZ 250 with a Baja Design kit. It worked well enough to ride 30 miles to the Jack Pine Enduro, ride the Jack Pine and ride home. But that bike is significantly lighter than a 650 DR. If the interested rider is tall enough, I would take a look at the G650X Challenge. Great bike for people tall enough. I kept on falling down because where I need to dab was just a little soft so I would fall down. i miss serious woods riding and happen to live in the middle of off-road heaven with a 500 mile off-road loop that covers the northern tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan. I have been thinking about the fuel injected KLX 250 that comes with a reasonable saddle height and is easily lowered. Additionally, I don't think you need the extra power for the woods when many times you are changing direction every 30 feet, but if you do, there seems to be some people with 300cc and 351cc big bore kits for the KLX. The bike comes with a wet weight of 305lbs which I think the 650DR comes in at 365lbs.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I rode and owned a KLR 650 for years and they are great bikes, however too big (heavy) for me to enjoy. I just recently traded it for a Yamaha XT250 and I really like it. Yes it is tall but so light and flickable, I don't even notice. I just do the right or left slide off to get one foot down. I also like the weight and know that if alone I can pick the bike up if I drop it. Really takes the worry out of the equation for me, therefore much more enjoyable. I can ride 65-70 (if necessary) easily, but a larger person might find it unsuitable. I would not hesitate to ride this little bike anywhere. Lighter is ALWAYS better. I really like the looks of the 310 GS, but it just isn't right for me. This 250 has been around (or a version of it) for years, so I think all the bugs are worked out by now. One of the best m/c trades I've made. :)

I rode and owned a KLR 650 for years and they are great bikes, however too big (heavy) for me to enjoy. I just recently traded it for a Yamaha XT250 and I really like it. Yes it is tall but so light and flickable, I don't even notice. I just do the right or left slide off to get one foot down. I also like the weight and know that if alone I can pick the bike up if I drop it. Really takes the worry out of the equation for me, therefore much more enjoyable. I can ride 65-70 (if necessary) easily, but a larger person might find it unsuitable. I would not hesitate to ride this little bike anywhere. Lighter is ALWAYS better. I really like the looks of the 310 GS, but it just isn't right for me. This 250 has been around (or a version of it) for years, so I think all the bugs are worked out by now. One of the best m/c trades I've made. :)

Thanks for this - yes I think the BMW is the best looking bike as well. Weight is my major concern. Yes, I could lift any of these bikes but I really think being lighter and easy to ride is what I am looking for. I have no plans to sell my RT which will be my primary long distance machine.

In the last 2 issues of Owners News there was a comparison test between the GS310 and the 1250 GS
Those girls gave the 310 a very high rating , especially the price.
That's a lot of bike, that 310, for the price in IMHO
Nick

I rode a DR 650 for 12,000 km from Lima to Ushuaia on probably 30% gravel roads. It is a stone axe that gets the job done. I used a Corbin seat and a small windshield/fairing. Over sized gas tank is recommended. It is truly a bullet proof bike with regular maintenance. A little challenge with performance with alternating between high altitudes and sea level riding. Someone with more mechanical abilities could easily overcome that issue.

Biggest challenge on that trip with a smaller bike is the wind in Patagonia.

Others have used the DR650 for some serious riding.

https://advrider.com/lucy-vs-the-am...utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=01_09_2020

Is there something like the DR650, but with fuel-injection and liquid-cooled? Equally well-regarded with a reputation for being bullet-proof, easy to maintain, and a reasonable price point for purchasing? KTM, Honda, KLR?

Is there something like the DR650, but with fuel-injection and liquid-cooled? Equally well-regarded with a reputation for being bullet-proof, easy to maintain, and a reasonable price point for purchasing? KTM, Honda, KLR?

KTM/Husqvarna have the 690/701... lots of world-tourists on those.

Personally, I think the older F650 singles are also an exceptional choice. (Rotax motor)

I have a G650 Xchallenge that runs and runs and runs.... (Rotax motor)

There is a bike called CCM in the UK that gets rave reviews.

The now-discontinued KLR, as you mention, is another good-ish choice.

I rode a DR 650 for 12,000 km from Lima to Ushuaia on probably 30% gravel roads. It is a stone axe that gets the job done. I used a Corbin seat and a small windshield/fairing. Over sized gas tank is recommended. It is truly a bullet proof bike with regular maintenance. A little challenge with performance with alternating between high altitudes and sea level riding. Someone with more mechanical abilities could easily overcome that issue.

Biggest challenge on that trip with a smaller bike is the wind in Patagonia.

Others have used the DR650 for some serious riding.

https://advrider.com/lucy-vs-the-am...utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=01_09_2020

Funny...I was just about to post her link. :)

Great info from Lucy. She has the weight at 324 lbs which might be an older bike. The specs now say 366.

KTMs etc. are waaay out of the price range for me.

I've done a little time on a DR and have many friends with them, as previously stated old technology and tons of aftermarket support. I had fun when I was on one but I was missing my KTM. Like the KLR its days may be numbered in the new world of emission control. I haven't spent time on a 310 but it has plenty going for it. Jenny Morgan took one and did a long term flog on it and wrote an excellent RR detailing how it worked for her. She's a very experienced offload racer and rider and she knows what she's talking about. Here's a link to her RR: https://advrider.com/f/threads/beemer-beemer-chicken-deener.1294883/

The 500 class is definitely more offload capable, I have a KTM 525 that goes very nicely and I've had it over 100mph no problem. That being said in the 650 class the KTM 640 Adventure is still considered one of the best adventure machines ever built and I have to say I love mine. Too bad the last production run was 2006.

This is one awesome do anything machine. It's my favourite that has seen heavy offload and long tours and everything in between.
IMG_3443-L.jpg

I've done a little time on a DR and have many friends with them, as previously stated old technology and tons of aftermarket support. I had fun when I was on one but I was missing my KTM. Like the KLR its days may be numbered in the new world of emission control. I haven't spent time on a 310 but it has plenty going for it. Jenny Morgan took one and did a long term flog on it and wrote an excellent RR detailing how it worked for her. She's a very experienced offload racer and rider and she knows what she's talking about. Here's a link to her RR: https://advrider.com/f/threads/beemer-beemer-chicken-deener.1294883/

The 500 class is definitely more offload capable, I have a KTM 525 that goes very nicely and I've had it over 100mph no problem. That being said in the 650 class the KTM 640 Adventure is still considered one of the best adventure machines ever built and I have to say I love mine. Too bad the last production run was 2006.

This is one awesome do anything machine. It's my favourite that has seen heavy offload and long tours and everything in between.
View attachment 76802

Great bike, no doubt. But man does that thing vibrate.

Great bike, no doubt. But man does that thing vibrate.

No first hand experience, but reading about it that seems to be the consensus by those who’ve reviewed this model. I really like the looks of that KTM, though.

Was there ever a twin-cylinder version?

I don't find mine vibrates a whole lot, must have been built on a Wednesday. As for the 690 it was never built as an Adventure bike so it needed some farkling to make it worthy for that application. I don't know enough about the 790 to comment but there's a new 300 Adventure coming down the pipe which should be very interesting and worth looking at compared to the 310GS. Time to expand your horizons and go google that to put up against the DR and 310.

I was supposed to take my 525 to Siberia/Mongolia/stans this summer but 2 months turning into 4 months just wasn't an option for me. It definitely offloads better than the 640 and is a lot lighter. I've toured 2up on the 640 but not an option on this little beast.
IMG_0870-L.jpg

Back