• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suzuki DR650SE vs BMW G310GS

Also, on the paved-road capability of these smaller 300-class bikes, I saw this encouraging post from a very experienced rider in another recent thread here:

Not necessarily interstate speeds, but that was a lot of ground covered on a G310GS.

Knowing Paul and Voni and their riding history - I trust the G310GS is capable and stable at interstate speeds if required and have no worries with pavement performance in general.

The thread I put up awhile ago from Jenny Morgan on the 310 is preceded by her reports of riding her 500CX which she really likes. She mentions them in the 310 RR too. Rally Raid also does some really nice farkles for them. Worth digging into her past RR's on ADV for more info as she's thrashed them well and gives you the goods on their performance in all situations.

The thread I put up awhile ago from Jenny Morgan on the 310 is preceded by her reports of riding her 500CX which she really likes. She mentions them in the 310 RR too. Rally Raid also does some really nice farkles for them. Worth digging into her past RR's on ADV for more info as she's thrashed them well and gives you the goods on their performance in all situations.

The CB500X is intriguing. Thanks for that link. I have some reading to do.

Ken,

I can't help but wonder what you ever decided with the aforementioned bikes? I feel fortunate that I have both the DR and the 310. I'm just curious if you picked up one or the other or are still banging this decision around in your head....

Inquiring minds want to know. :bikes

Same here Ken. Also thinking this pandemic development may have postponed your level of activism toward the endeavor.

It's been stated: "Everything's next year"!

Hope all's well there.

IMG_6185_heic-X2.jpg

I was going through my subscribed threads cleaning them out (who else does that?) and when I stumbled across this one I felt should add my .02 worth. I don’t know what the OP decided to purchase if he indeed purchased anything, but this may be of value to others contemplating the same choice.

Not long ago I was out riding some terrain with a friend that turned out to be perfect for a dual sport type bike, and on that particular day I chose to ride the DR650. Like mentioned previously, I own both the 310GS and the DR650. As you can see in my photo I had a bit of a problem. Seriously, at 60 years young, I haven’t had a layover since my teen years. Someone mentioned earlier, it's not if, but when you lay it over. I now know that to be true. :laugh

The photo does little to show the contour of the land, as it was much steeper than it looks. And I fully admit, I picked the wrong line attacking this path. I was getting after it and the front wheel came off the ground as I hit a minor hump, which I counteracted by letting off the throttle and in return it killed the engine before I could recover. It was all on me, I admit that and laugh about my rookie riding move.

Getting to the point I want to make, once the bike was picked back up the only damage I could find was a tweeked clutch lever, which I promptly bent back to original form, and a slight marring of the bar end. I was amazed. I firmly believe that had I been riding the 310 I would have had considerable (and costly) damage with all the plastics. Or at least some serious battle scars that I would have to live with.

With the DR vs 310GS debate, it definitely comes down to the style of riding you want to do. The 310 is incredible for pavement and back roads, but if you are taking it into the rougher country I would be much more inclined to encourage you to purchase the DR. It’s a battle axe, and with 4000 miles of 90% off-pavement riding with mine I have nothing but good to say about it. The torque and suspension are superior to the 310 and it will spoil you quickly when comparing the two. If you are looking for more of a commuter I would lean towards the 310. It just feels like that kind of bike to me.

A DR weak point: That seat! I replace it with a Sargent and it made all the difference in the world. In comparison, I can ride the 310 all day on the factory seat, it’s comfort and ergonomics work great for me.

That's my take.

Same here Ken. Also thinking this pandemic development may have postponed your level of activism toward the endeavor.

It's been stated: "Everything's next year"!

Hope all's well there.

Hey guys, I have been off the forum for a bit mostly dealing with family health issues (not COVID) which is made much more complex in the current pandemic. Things have calmed down a bit with the family but COVID has not given up even an inch in Canada and most other places in the world.

As surmised above I have put off a new purchase until after I can safely ride a lot more than I did this year for sure, however, the idea of having a nice smaller all around useful motorcycle still makes a lot of sense post COVID. Thanks to everyone for your input - a lot of value getting helpful advice from trusted folks here. Thank you.

Ken.

P.S. That looks steep enough to find out that grabbing a handful (in hindsight) may not be prudent for sure. :blush

Last edited:
I’m entering this thread a little late, and saw Jenny Morgan’s name. So I thought I should chip in.

I’ve met Jenny, at the Nakusp Horizons Unlimited meet, and we spoke extensively (she does speak extensively) about the Rally Raid upgraded GS310 that she had just finished riding the TAT... and Honda CB500X, on which she had previously ridden the TAT.

I wanted a small to mid-size Adv bike for extended travel, and was leaning towards the GS (I’m a dyed in the wool BMW guy), but after talking to Jenny, finally decided on the Honda. It’s a deceptively capable motorcycle.

I spent the first few weeks of the Covid19 lockdown upgrading a stock CB500X. For the total cost of bike and upgrades, I probably could’ve got a Trumph Tiger or something, but this was more fun. (my other bike is a R1200RTW).

cb500x_quilcene_obstruction_pt.jpg

If you are serious about overlanding...

If you want something that can easily handle the rough stuff, and still something that can cover miles, this story is worth a read...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cycle-south-2020-parte-tres-tchau-sunny-vejo-você-no-texas.1296625/

A social media friend built up a Suzuki DR650 and has been riding South America for over a year after a couple of false starts (medical issues). He goes into detail about how he decided on the bike and all the modifications he made to make it something that he could trust. He's now shipping the bike back from Brazil and flying back to meet it since all the borders in S.A. are closed for tourism. Had a heck of a time getting a decent price on getting the bike home, too.

It's a great read but has gotten very long - if you get hooked it will take a few days to catch up...

If you want something that can easily handle the rough stuff, and still something that can cover miles, this story is worth a read...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cycle-south-2020-parte-tres-tchau-sunny-vejo-você-no-texas.1296625/

A social media friend built up a Suzuki DR650 and has been riding South America for over a year after a couple of false starts (medical issues). He goes into detail about how he decided on the bike and all the modifications he made to make it something that he could trust. He's now shipping the bike back from Brazil and flying back to meet it since all the borders in S.A. are closed for tourism. Had a heck of a time getting a decent price on getting the bike home, too.

It's a great read but has gotten very long - if you get hooked it will take a few days to catch up...

I've followed Dan's report from the beginning. Nice fella and kudos to him for staying with his plan, despite the complications/interruptions (you'll have to read the TR) that have occurred during his trip. Definitely worth the read.

I’m entering this thread a little late, and saw Jenny Morgan’s name. So I thought I should chip in.

I’ve met Jenny, at the Nakusp Horizons Unlimited meet, and we spoke extensively (she does speak extensively) about the Rally Raid upgraded GS310 that she had just finished riding the TAT... and Honda CB500X, on which she had previously ridden the TAT.

I wanted a small to mid-size Adv bike for extended travel, and was leaning towards the GS (I’m a dyed in the wool BMW guy), but after talking to Jenny, finally decided on the Honda. It’s a deceptively capable motorcycle.

I spent the first few weeks of the Covid19 lockdown upgrading a stock CB500X. For the total cost of bike and upgrades, I probably could’ve got a Trumph Tiger or something, but this was more fun. (my other bike is a R1200RTW).

cb500x_quilcene_obstruction_pt.jpg

Yup, Jenny speaks politely about the G310GS. But if you give her a chance, she will always steer you to the CB.

Respect the CB500X !

DR650 = Swiss Army knife of motorcycles....

I had one I bought brand new. Had a severe surging problem that would trigger motion sickness while riding at local road speed. Suzuki was rather useless. Dealer was rather useless. I finally paid a long time Honda dealer to fix the problem.
I had rather high hopes for it. I always thought the DRZ400 would be a good mid-weight bike. The DR experience kept me from buying one new. Maybe some day a used one. They would probably both be better bikes with fuel injection.
OM

I had one I bought brand new. Had a severe surging problem that would trigger motion sickness while riding at local road speed. Suzuki was rather useless. Dealer was rather useless. I finally paid a long time Honda dealer to fix the problem.
I had rather high hopes for it. I always thought the DRZ400 would be a good mid-weight bike. The DR experience kept me from buying one new. Maybe some day a used one. They would probably both be better bikes with fuel injection.
OM

I have not heard of a surging issue with Dr650's before, but they are carbureted bikes using technology from 1996.
Ive had a couple Dr650s, they've always treated me decently. There have been rumors for decades about Suzuki improving the bike but for the most part it has remained the same for about 24 years with minor upgrades. Bottom line is the bike is dependable and works pretty well on the street and in the dirt.
It's old technology has limits, especially at higher altitudes. It would benifit greatly with a fuel injection, but then the simplicity of the bike starts to deteriorate.
When I was using mine as an "Adventure Bike" I always carried an extra CDI and a carb kit. With those two items I alway felt that no matter where the bike might break down, I would always be able to make it run to get back to civilization.

I had a DR-Z400 for about a year. Added a few farkles and looked forward to the much discussed simplicity.

But although it’s a capable machine, I thought it too primitive for my taste, and quickly got past the romantic idea of riding a long-in-the-tooth carb’d thumper. YMMV.

So I narrowed my decision down to a reliable twin cylinder 500cc, water cooled, fuel injected bike with a decent subframe. I currently have that Rally Rid CB500X, but I hear KTM is coming out with a half liter twin ADV bike in a year or two. Fingers crossed they do make such an animal.

I really enjoy the KTM line and especially enjoyed the history of KTM. Part of that history is 'cause I'm old enough to remember the Penton.
There is a great thread over at ADV on KTM's History

I don't mind chains.....I don't mind belts.....Chains & Belts enabled the industrial revolution.
OM

KTM has quite a good story. I have a link in the above quote.
I actually miss the fun of a 2-stroke even though there is really no place to ride around without the “SUV’ers” calling the police :banghead
If I find something that is reasonable, I will probably pick it up. If it’s KTM, all the better.
I wasn’t familiar with the CB500X until it was mentioned in a few recent threads. It looks like a great bike.
OM

I wasn’t familiar with the CB500X until it was mentioned in a few recent threads. It looks like a great bike.
OM

It’s been around for a good while, but in 2019 Honda gave the CB500X some nice upgrades. Notably, a 19” front wheel (previously both were 17”s), a very light slipper clutch, improved instrumentation, a bit more torque (at lower rpm, too), a bit more ground clearance, full LED lighting, reworked body panels, etc.

So the 2019+ bikes are especially attractive. All for <$7K new with warranty.

The CB500x is a wonderful bike, good power, not too heavy, good on road manners decient on dirt roads. It has that unmistakable Honda quality.
If you are looking at one to purchase, 2019 and newer is in my opinion the best bang for you buck. Prior to 2019 the bike is still very nice but it takes a boat load of money to turn it into a real "Adventure Bike".
The only problem I found with my 2019 is that engine makes up is a intrical part of the frame. Motor guards and most notably skid plates are mounted to the same place where the motor mounts to the frame. This mounting position makes the engine mounting bosses volunerable to breaking or cracking when the skid plate take a sizable hit. There have been incidents where the bosses have broken. This engineering problen makes me believe there is a reason why Honda does not offer a skid plate for ths bike. Any serious off road activity with this bike requires a skid plate, the oil pan is in a volunerable position.
After market skid plates all use these engine bosses for mounting.

Back