• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas cap ring tank bag mounts

Hello, I am looking at gas cap mounted tank bags and want to know if anyone has experience with them. The two that I am interested in are the Givi tankloc and the SW Motech Quickloc. Is one better than the other and what are the pros and cons of this type of mounting system. thank you.

I have both. Used the Givi on three bikes and always functioned as advertised. I have a SWMotech on my GSA and it has also been flawless. I also use a Givi tank lock mount on the GSA. I have a pillion luggage plate on the GSA in lieu of the rear seat. I mount a Pelican case to the plate, to hold tools and an air pump, by using the Givi system. Allows easy removal/installation of the tool box.

Both systems have worked well for me. If I had to choose again I would most likely go with the SWMotech, but it might depend on who made the tank bag I liked the best. I don’t think either will let you down.

I have two models of SW Motech - 1 small, 1 large. Love them both. Perform flawlessly.

I simply like the look of the Motech bags better than their competition. But beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

gas tank ring tank bag mounts

Thanks for the quick replies now I just have to decide which one to get.

My wife and I have had several SW Motech bags and like them.
Givi also has good tank bags.
Several times Jeff Dean has posted pictures of his Hepco & Becker bag and the magnetic tank ring looks interesting.

https://www.motomachines.com/catalo..._FMaAgUtEALw_wcB&manufacturer=336&q=Tank+Bags

hepco-becker-tank-bag-street-tourer-m_10.jpg

hepco-becker-tank-ring-bmw-f850gs_8.jpg

Of course you understand there was never any design consideration that these small diameter screws would be stressed to any extent in any situation. BMW has never offered this tank bag mounting method. I imagine if I were a a manufacturer with integrity I’d test and then specify a weight maximum.

I tried one on my '97 1100 GS only to find the bag interfered with the swing of the handlebars.

Of course you understand there was never any design consideration that these small diameter screws would be stressed to any extent in any situation. BMW has never offered this tank bag mounting method. I imagine if I were a a manufacturer with integrity I’d test and then specify a weight maximum.

We'd appreciate a listing of all those who have experienced failure of the gas cap screws due to overstressing by this type of tank bag mount. Anecdotal instances not acceptable. I have never seen a failure raised in any forum at any time in the last 15+ years.

Personally speaking, my SW Mototech system has performed flawlessly for the last 150,000 km. I'm sure the Givi unit performs similarly.

We have the SW Motech on our bikes and like them but on the F650/700/800GS bikes they crowd the ignition switch too much.

Wouldn't that depend on the size of the tank bag one chooses?

Actually it doesn't. It has to do with the distance between the front of the bag (the part that crowds the ignition switch) and the frontmost position possible for the installation of the mount that attaches the bag to the ring (i.e. the position that results in the rearmost position of the bag). Even at the extreme rearmost it still crowds the ignition switch even with the smallest bag. I solved the problem but that another story.

My wife and I have had several SW Motech bags and like them.
Givi also has good tank bags.
Several times Jeff Dean has posted pictures of his Hepco & Becker bag and the magnetic tank ring looks interesting.

https://www.motomachines.com/catalo..._FMaAgUtEALw_wcB&manufacturer=336&q=Tank+Bags

View attachment 76783

View attachment 76784

Big thumbs up for the Hepco & Becker tank bag. Mag mounting very secure. Easy on and off. Street tourer M model permits full handlebar rotation.

I have the SW Motech City Bag on my '14 GS Adv.

20181011_184320-XL.jpg

I love the bag, perfect size for spare gloves and the associated crap I need at hand.
I hate strap mounts and on the GS Adv Magnetic Mount is not an option.

I have to admit that I have had trouble with the Quick Detach mounting system. It does not like sand or fine dirt.
The problem would manifest itself as an inability to remove the tank bag at refuel time no matter how hard one pulled on the lanyard.

I struggled to find a solution to the problem but on the way back from Prudhoe Bay last year I think I discovered a solution

The solution for me has been to periodically remove the mounting mechanism from the bag, completely disassemble it and wash it in hot soapy water, usually in the motel sink.

After air drying, I use a bar of hotel soap to lubricate the mechanism before reassembly and installation.

So far this has worked just fine, I tried silicone spray lubricant once but it seemed to attract the dirt faster and didn't last as long as the soap.

As always YMMV!

Some times the lube you use can collect a lot of dust and debris. I blow mine out with air, and no lube. Good luck.

Is there a way of releasing the SWMotech ring if it won't release with the lanyard?

On the new mount you can undo the mount from inside the bag.
On the old mount it was a real pain in the ass.
Tank Ring (2).JPG

Back