Thread: 2007 R1200GS Adventure ABS module reinstall

2007 R1200GS Adventure ABS module reinstall

I recently had the ABS module repaired by ModuleMasters, but I am flummoxed by the reinstall process. The module is an iABS2, also referred to as ABS IV , I think. It has no bleed nipples on the module itself. I bought the GS-911 unit so I could run the process that bleeds the module, but the instructions advise to do a 'conventional bleed' first, and I can't even get that process started! I can't get any fluid to flow in either the front or the rear circuits. Do I need to apply vacuum to the caliper nipples to fill the system? Could that damage the newly repaired ABS module? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. The nearest dealer is about 150 miles away. Thanks!

The module should have been shipped full with plugs at ports.
    Bleed to calipers after reinstalling unit should get fluid flowing. You may need to draw a vacuum with a syringe or vaccum bleeder. Been awhile since I did on two 07 models but donít recall an issue
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I'd do a "conventional" bleed with a vacuum system (Mityvac), then use the GS911. Jim shows how to do a conventional bleed using the brake levers, buthttp://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_2007_brake_bleed.html I've always found that it doesn't seem to work well when replacing components.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_2007_brake_bleed.html

Also, welcome to the forum!
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Hi, I had the same problem when I repaired/replaced the abs module in my 12 GSA camhead. Run the GS911 bleed function followed by bleeding of the brakes (per instruction in the GS911). You will have to repeat this several times before the system will build pressure. I believe it took about 45 min before I started feeling pressure in the break lever. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll try again with some vacuum per MityVac. And I'll welcome any additional input anyone else has.

Job completed! I am embarrassed to admit that the major problem in the way of bleeding front brakes was the fact that the black rubber diaphragm inside the master reservoir had inverted and was blocking fluid from entering master cylinder. I need to go to remedial brake bleed school.