• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody have ambition to ride around the world?

Rtw

I've started doing some research on what it would take to drive my RT around the world. The more I look into this, the more realistic it seems and the more excited I'm getting about this goal.

The short story is that to do this you'd need to be able to be away for about 4 months and have an estimated budget of about $30k.

Anybody interested in doing this or have thoughts or experience with it? I'm guessing I'm planning this for 2022.

Hi Chadwick,
My mind drools at the invite! I have a 2003 RT...I also have some experience riding in South America, Europe, New Zealand and Australia. Having said that, if you have done a lot of careful and very recent research in your intended routes,... do you know how much pavement you are able to find for your, so far, chosen routing???
I was on a South American traverse last year from Patagonia to Columbia and can say that while I would have loved my RT in many places and on many roads, it would have taken a bit of a beating...especially if you are going to try to stick to a schedule of time to complete the journey.
I am not saying don't go, quite the contrary, it will be a fabulous trip!!...... but I would not take my RT for the following reasons...1, I love my RT and want to keep it a long time for nice pavement where it belongs,..2. The roads in other parts of the world are NOT well paved often and for LONG distances and an RT will be a bit tearful once you come upon these sections which of course will not be as per your research or maps available or even recent GPS downloads! guaranteed!!...3. where the roads are indeed paved, they can be very rough, pot holed, heaved and frankly unkind to a beautiful road machine such as the RT..not to mention the rider...4. Once you are in certain countries you very well look longingly at the map and the road you see blazing off into the distance and wish you could follow it for a few days....if only you had a different more suitable machine for the obvious rougher conditions you are seeing, or are informed of.......that can be a real tear jerker when you are out on the surface of the earth and enjoying your big journey....5. even on long boring sections traversing vast sections of incredible terrain you WILL all of a sudden, most UNEXPECTEDLY come across a section of terrible nasty unpaved road work being done...perhaps for the past several years, that could very easily put down the unsuspecting rider and leave you reaching for your SPOT device calling for evacuation....

I might suggest that you take something a little more robust for the definite bad sections that you will be sure to come across....also when you are out in the big world on a tour it is inevitable that no matter how careful or how much experience you have, the bike will inevitably fall over somewhere....making a gorgeous RT look a real mess and cost too much to repair....a GS model would be a great choice however and just require a little more need to be selective with what rubber you ride depending where you are and the surface conditions.
..having said that, if you are bound and determined to take the RT, you will find fabulous roads in and throughout Europe yum yum, Australia, and New Zealand,yum yum... and of course North America. Many countries in South America also provide fabulous journeys for pavement riding...but be forewarned...you can easily find yourself behind routes blocked by earth quakes, long ways from accommodations, where camping just over there off the pavement maybe safer, more comfortable and better, behind flooded roads, washed out bridges, with long detours of not so pleasant recently plowed land making for the obligatory and only route required to travel in as it turns out very deep soft silt for the next 50-80 miles trying to keep the bike from swimming and ...falling over again!!, deep river crossings or when you are zooming along a lovely piece of pave road only to find a dip a head filled with deep water corsing across the pavement, that you can't quite see until you are right on top of it.... at....'how fast were you going there???' ....like in Argentina, Brazil, Peru,....etc., etc.
Make the trip but give the bike of choice some very careful consideration, it could make your day!
All the best.
Mark

Great YouTube channel

Here is a web site and YouTube Chanel for a young woman who has been riding the world solo and unsupported on a Royal Enfield Himalayan, which is a very simple 400cc adventure bike. Much of her riding is on unmade roads.
See https://www.itchyboots.com/
Also https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIs9nkveW9WmYtsOcJBwTg/videos

I agree. Her Vlog is well presented. Even if you don't have the urge to travel, Noraly's connection with the roads and people she encounters is heartwarming. Highly recommend watching both Season 1: India to Malaysia back to Middle East around Slavic countries to Norway and Season 2: Patagonia to Alaska

Back