Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody have ambition to ride around the world?

I don't think bike size really matters.
    If you are confident an RT will get you around the world, go for it. Reliability is the key IMO. That and resourcefulness. It would probably be easier in the rough sections on a lighter bike and finding parts for the eventual repairs would come easier with a small Japanese bike. But what fun is there in that?

One guy, Marcello Anglana did it on a '98 Goldwing in 2013. http://www.gold-wing.it/moto/2013-10...ro/indice.html
    And wasn't there a guy who did it, a few years back, on Harley Road King, in winter? http://www.revolutionmotorcyclemag.c...extreme-biker/
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick View Post
    I've started doing some research on what it would take to drive my RT around the world. The more I look into this, the more realistic it seems and the more excited I'm getting about this goal.

The short story is that to do this you'd need to be able to be away for about 4 months and have an estimated budget of about $30k.

Anybody interested in doing this or have thoughts or experience with it? I'm guessing I'm planning this for 2022.
    If you have not already found it, you need to join the forum at Horizons Unlimited. It's the de facto best resource for world touring. Lots of expertise and current information.

Not sure I'd choose an RT for the tour for the reasons others have stated, and I am sort of ashamed to say I don't think I'd choose the current day GS... you don't need all the power and technology, you need simplicity, durability and suspension travel.

My choice for a bike would be a middleweight Japanese bike like a Suzuki WeeStrom or a Yamaha T7. If it has to be a BMW I strongly encourage you to find a low-mile pre-2004 R1150 GS.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    ...or a Yamaha T7....

Ian
    Hadnít heard of that new Tenere 700 model. Wow, looks very interesting. If the rumored smaller Africa Twin arrives this fall, too, there are going to be some very interesting new options on the market.

I like how simple and straightforward the T7 is, without all the electronic gizmos and hi-tec clutter. If they offer a low-suspension/low-seat option, I predict it will have broad appeal for ADV riders.

Here is a web site and YouTube Chanel for a young woman who has been riding the world solo and unsupported on a Royal Enfield Himalayan, which is a very simple 400cc adventure bike. Much of her riding is on unmade roads.
    See https://www.itchyboots.com/
    Also https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI...OcJBwTg/videos

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    Here is a web site and YouTube Chanel for a young woman who has been riding the world solo and unsupported on a Royal Enfield Himalayan, which is a very simple 400cc adventure bike. Much of her riding is on unmade roads.
    See https://www.itchyboots.com/
    Also https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI...OcJBwTg/videos
    She's been given gear and the bike she's riding today was given to her by Royal Enfield. She bought her first bike, they gave her the one she's riding.

That in no way takes away from her determination and grit to travel alone through some rough territory. Remember the woman who was raped by 4 men [ Bolivia I believe ] while wilderness camping and riding around the world a few years ago? She got justice eventually, but she was also beat badly and left for dead after being gang raped.

The world isn't a safe place, it's less safe not more safe every day. Anyone doing a solo RTW, best of luck.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Hadn’t heard of that new Tenere 700 model. Wow, looks very interesting. If the rumored smaller Africa Twin arrives this fall, too, there are going to be some very interesting new options on the market.

I like how simple and straightforward the T7 is, without all the electronic gizmos and hi-tec clutter. If they offer a low-suspension/low-seat option, I predict it will have broad appeal for ADV riders.
    KTM/Husqvarna have a nice offer in this segment... I, too, look forward to the Honda. I think the BMW 850 is too heavy.

About 6-7 years ago I sensed a trend to smaller and lighter bikes, and wrote about it in my "Always an Adventure" column. Over the years the category has gone heavyweight and highly technical to increase sales prices and profits.

Simple and straightforward is for me, too... all the electronic maps and modes, who needs them?

Unfortunately, long-travel suspension = more seat height. Instead of lowering a bike like the T7, Yamaha makes the MT-07, which is essential what BMW does with R models... same basic platform with shorter, more street-oriented suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post

The world isn't a safe place, it's less safe not more safe every day. Anyone doing a solo RTW, best of luck.
    I am 60 years old, fat and ugly, and there are many places in this world I wouldn't ride. Now be a relatively good looking women. May as well paste a target on your back.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Sure there are plenty of places in the world that aren't the safest but that certainly applies to the good old US of A too so don't fret about it. The tour I'm siging up for includes a foray into Afghanistan which would terrify most people to even think about but I have to say I'm pretty excited about it. We're keeping that part quiet so we can have more fun telling the story after the fact.

I will concur that Horizons Unlimited is a great resource. Have a look at their site and see if you can get to any of their meetups. There's one happening up here in Newfoundland in August, hoping to get to it but it's only 2 weeks after I get back from the stans. Have a look at that event, we're opening a B&B for touring motorcycles so you could add a spin our way to your itinerary. Yes I know it's long way from Texas, look at it as a good warmup ride.

One of the links I posted was from ADVrider.com which is also a great resource with over 350 000 members around the world. Many RTW folks post on there and there are discussion boards on any topic you could possibly think of and many many helpful folks that will answer all of your questions.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I am 60 years old, fat and ugly, and there are many places in this world I wouldn't ride. Now be a relatively good looking women. May as well paste a target on your back.
    You obviously are not aware of my friend Tiffany Coates and dozens of other women out there touring the world alone.

You may want to check out Compass Expeditions who lead a group on that trip every couple years. I have a 650 VStrom and an 2018 RT and I would not consider taking the RT. I would take either a 650 VStrom or a DR650.

Tiffany was supposed to stay at my place when she was in Newfoundland a few years ago but a speaking engagement at Bob's BMW came up and she had to hightail it south. Great lady! Lois Pryce is another one who has ventured far solo and her books are a good read. She's hoping to head my way one of these days too.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    You obviously are not aware of my friend Tiffany Coates and dozens of other women out there touring the world alone.
    Not by name, but I realize woman riders are out there. I just don't think it is a good idea. For example another family was ambushed in Mexico the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Not by name, but I realize woman riders are out there. I just don't think it is a good idea. For example another family was ambushed in Mexico the other day.
    And how many in Chicago? Baltimore? Oakland?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    And how many in Chicago? Baltimore? Oakland?
    I don't ride in those areas either.

Look, I don't care whet anyone does or where they ride. Areas of the world are risky places to be, in the USA or Central/South America, plus others. Travel there if you want, just be aware of your surroundings and the potential for negative human interaction is higher in many areas. Don't go with blinders on plus your rose colored glasses.

I have friends that have traveled in Mexico for years without issues, they stopped going south a few years ago, to much risk they said.

I have a problem with people that take risks, have problems then cry about it. Man up, chose you level of risk and deal with it when bad crap happens.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    For the Russian adventure I'd get a hold of Walter Colebatch of Sibirsky Extreme fame...https://advrider.com/colebatch/

A 1200 GSA is too big of a bike for an RTW trip. Nice for closer to home, but not for BFE where repairs would be near impossible. A lighter bike would be my choice as well..YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT