• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 k1600GTL wiring: what is recommended switched positive for accessories?

jwhitson

I bought a cheap little waterproof dash cam for my bike. It has 3 wires. One to pos, one to neg, and one to ignition pos. I don’t want to mess with any sensitive wiring, so where should I tap the ignition-switched line?

Thanks.

Another choice would be a wire running to a Powerlet outlet.

Keep in mind they stay powered up for a while after the bike is shut off, something like 15-20 seconds.

Thank you, gentlemen

I knew I'd get a good answer here. Thank you.

I just didn't want to annoy the CANBus. I'll give one of these a try (depending on which one is easier, I'm lazy).

Went with Denali tap

Denali makes a "Switched Power Adapter for Select BMW Motorcycles" (part DNL.WHS.10000). It plugs into the Navigator (GPS) power line, and has a tap pre-wired for switched positive.

I haven't installed it yet (I need to take off some faring (sp?) panels to get to that part of the wiring harness, but I may tackle it this weekend), but it should make hooking into that circuit trivial. The adapter was rather pricey ($41 - most of the cost probably went into some exotic looking plugs), but it'll keep everything neat, and they promise it won't void my warranty. Plus, it'll keep the cameras going a few seconds after power goes off.

Again, thank you all for the suggestions.

Another choice would be a wire running to a Powerlet outlet.

Keep in mind they stay powered up for a while after the bike is shut off, something like 15-20 seconds.

Problem with using this as a switched source is that the powerlet is powered through the Canbus system and if it senses a load when the ignition is switched off the powerlet does NOT shut down. I have used it on my GTL and Grand America to power a GPS but had to manually unplug when I shut off the bike. Better choice is the wire for the top case brake light (even if light not installed) which I believe is pin position #3 on the round plug (disconnect the plug and check the pin with a voltmeter). It will shut off after about 20-30 seconds. I have my GPS (NAVI VI too expensive for me) tied into this wire and it works perfectly.

Back