Thread: 2018 k1600GTL wiring: what is recommended switched positive for accessories?

2018 k1600GTL wiring: what is recommended switched positive for accessories?

I bought a cheap little waterproof dash cam for my bike. It has 3 wires. One to pos, one to neg, and one to ignition pos. I donít want to mess with any sensitive wiring, so where should I tap the ignition-switched line?

Thanks.

Tail light.

Joe
    ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You cannot withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Another choice would be a wire running to a Powerlet outlet.

Keep in mind they stay powered up for a while after the bike is shut off, something like 15-20 seconds.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Thank you, gentlemen

I knew I'd get a good answer here. Thank you.

I just didn't want to annoy the CANBus. I'll give one of these a try (depending on which one is easier, I'm lazy).

Went with Denali tap

Denali makes a "Switched Power Adapter for Select BMW Motorcycles" (part DNL.WHS.10000). It plugs into the Navigator (GPS) power line, and has a tap pre-wired for switched positive.

I haven't installed it yet (I need to take off some faring (sp?) panels to get to that part of the wiring harness, but I may tackle it this weekend), but it should make hooking into that circuit trivial. The adapter was rather pricey ($41 - most of the cost probably went into some exotic looking plugs), but it'll keep everything neat, and they promise it won't void my warranty. Plus, it'll keep the cameras going a few seconds after power goes off.

Again, thank you all for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Another choice would be a wire running to a Powerlet outlet.

Keep in mind they stay powered up for a while after the bike is shut off, something like 15-20 seconds.
    Problem with using this as a switched source is that the powerlet is powered through the Canbus system and if it senses a load when the ignition is switched off the powerlet does NOT shut down. I have used it on my GTL and Grand America to power a GPS but had to manually unplug when I shut off the bike. Better choice is the wire for the top case brake light (even if light not installed) which I believe is pin position #3 on the round plug (disconnect the plug and check the pin with a voltmeter). It will shut off after about 20-30 seconds. I have my GPS (NAVI VI too expensive for me) tied into this wire and it works perfectly.