• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Horn Change on K100 & R1100

Paul_F

RK Ryder
i picked up two FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns to replace each of the horns on my '87 K100 and '98 R1100. The max amp draw is 6 per horn.

Is it possible to use the existing horn wiring without having to install an additional relay? Six amps seems low and I am guessing the original horns must have some protection.

Having no electrical expertise, I hope that someone can advise me as to whether or not relays are necessary.

Paul,

The stock horns are already driven through a relay. They are protected by a 15 amp fuse in the bottom location of your fuse block.

However, that fuse is also the fuse for your fan. I don't offhand know what the current draw for your fan is, but it is probably more than 3 amps.

It is NOT permitted to increase the fuse size on these bikes as the limiting factor is the wire size. If you increase the fuse size, you could melt the wires, which is the what the fuse is there to protect.

You could try it by getting several 15 amp fuses (you should always carry several spare 7.5 and 15 amp fuses anyway), get the bike warm so the fan kicks in (letting the bike idle for 10-15minutes with no other airflow to the radiator should do it), and blast away with your horns for 30 seconds or so (you might want to tape some rags around the horns so your neighbors don't call the police). Keep an eye on your temp light. If the light comes on before the fan starts, you either have a blown fan fuse (#7 at bottom) or your fan is shot. If you have a gauge, the fan should come on before 210. I don't have the exact temp in front of me right now. Just don't overheat the bike for too long. You can cool it down quick by riding it or putting a big fan to the radiator after your test.

Remmember to ALWAYS carry several of each size spare fuses.

:dance:dance:dance

Paul,

The stock horns are already driven through a relay. They are protected by a 15 amp fuse in the bottom location of your fuse block.

However, that fuse is also the fuse for your fan. I don't offhand know what the current draw for your fan is, but it is probably more than 3 amps.

It is NOT permitted to increase the fuse size on these bikes as the limiting factor is the wire size. If you increase the fuse size, you could melt the wires, which is the what the fuse is there to protect.

You could try it by getting several 15 amp fuses (you should always carry several spare 7.5 and 15 amp fuses anyway), get the bike warm so the fan kicks in (letting the bike idle for 10-15minutes with no other airflow to the radiator should do it), and blast away with your horns for 30 seconds or so (you might want to tape some rags around the horns so your neighbors don't call the police). Keep an eye on your temp light. If the light comes on before the fan starts, you either have a blown fan fuse (#7 at bottom) or your fan is shot. If you have a gauge, the fan should come on before 210. I don't have the exact temp in front of me right now. Just don't overheat the bike for too long. You can cool it down quick by riding it or putting a big fan to the radiator after your test.

Remmember to ALWAYS carry several of each size spare fuses.

:dance:dance:dance

Thank you Lee.
The installation and testing will have to wait until the snow melts. I always have extra fuses with me for both bikes. Fortunately, only once was one needed. :dance

Back