• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I have moto-hypochondria

rick601

Just musing about the interweb. I love it- more helpful info than I could ever need, ability to share experience, place to see what issues others have with simillar products...and therein is my problem. I'm sure I have a leaky driveshaft, bad compensator, worn cam lobes, dangerous jiffystand, bad transmission gears etc etc etc ad naseum on my various bikes. I won't even begin to relate the problems I'm sure my cars have! I know information is good and dealers won't always acknowledge issues- but I gotta relax a little.

The corollary to moto-hypochondria is moto-acquisivitis- wherein I must get every farkle de jour. I mean the guy who posted, eloquently laid out why I need a [fill in here].

I'm gonna get regular service by the schedule, trust my mechanic (so far so good) and use reviews to research a need that MY EXPERIENCE tells me I need. I'll continue to read cam and compensator threads- but with a less anxious eye, and I'll read your louder horn bigger tank bag review- but be mindful of MY actual needs.

balancing prudence and foolhardy

Defining need while "perfecting" my ride

“balancing prudence and foolhardy”

But, but, you take all the fun out of it ...

Take your bike for example: your R3000RXTL-meg and load it with all appropriate aftermarket accessories. After replacing all moving and non-moving parts, all that’s left of the original purchase is ‘you’. How more individual and special can it get? Ain’t it grand! One of a kind. That should take your breath away ...

You should check out the new, improved, Turbo-Encabulator. It fixes the problems you have with the old one.

FYI, details of the turbo-encabulator have been embargoed for some time, but you can still pick one up on Amazon.

It's just a thing. You are not marrying it. You buy it and you ride it. Get a good roadside assistance plan. Try to do better than 35 miles towing. It might be a long way to the nearest qualified service facility. Get decent insurance to meet state laws and your needs for financial security. Do the recommended maintenance or have it done. Ride it.

If it falls off a cliff, blows up, catches fire, explodes, shells an engine, or anything else the worst case is you are out a thing. No divorce needed. Sign the title to the insurance company or the junk yard and walk away. Do not try to pet the dog.

If the worst case scenario is more than you can afford you need a cheaper bike.

Last edited:
It just a thing. You are not marrying it. You buy it and you ride it. Get a good roadside assistance plan. Try to do better than 35 miles towing. It might be a long way to the nearest qualified service facility. Get decent insurance to meet state laws and your needs for financial security. Do the recommended maintenance or have it done. Ride it.

If it falls off a cliff, blows up, catches fire, explodes, shells an engine, or anything else the worst case is you are out a thing. No divorce needed. Sign the title to the insurance company or the junk yard and walk away. Do not try to pet the dog.

Is that you, Yoda?

It just a thing. You are not marrying it. You buy it and you ride it. Get a good roadside assistance plan. Try to do better than 35 miles towing. It might be a long way to the nearest qualified service facility. Get decent insurance to meet state laws and your needs for financial security. Do the recommended maintenance or have it done. Ride it.

Actually, if it blows up, falls off a cliff etc. I get to buy a new one!!!

Is that you, Yoda?

Nope, Paul was more eloquent than I could ever be.

I was gonna post:

"I understand the need to be super uptight about stuff happening on the road. Stuff happening on the road is part of riding. Since my group doesn't ride with a chase van and a trailer, I think we are riders. It's not a lot of fun to have stuff happen in the middle of butt-nut where Sasquatch lives but last I checked, no amount of spreadsheet creation and analysis prevented monster pot-holes, tire killer nails or Redheads that serve cold beer.

Stuff happening on the side of the road leads to good things, new friends, a great place to stay that has awesome food and sometimes, the next wife.

To make a few things a bit clearer, a Redhead that serves me a cold beer is a TLM (Trip Limiting Move) as I more often than not, I ask them to marry me. This should not be confused with a BBW ((Blown Bike Wheel)did that with the monster pot-hole this summer) or a 2/3rd rounder(2/3rds of my tire are round, one third ain't).

You should also know that some of your brethren members hate you when you talk about riding when it's ballzdropov cold and you talk about riding. I think we should open a new forum section devoted to adding farkles to your snowblower."

Ok San Antonio, I did substitute "S--t" for "Stuff" and I didn't mention that it gets so cold here that a penis turns into a button on a fur coat which results in peeing all over your boots.

We good until the next time? Prolly be tomorrow though.

I had one go halfway over a cliff one time on a continental divide trail. Tried to get away from me but I dragged her back kicking and screaming to safety. Hurt my feeling as I always thought we were soul mates. Guess Paul is right, just a thing, not a soul mate. Having said this though, my new R NineT makes googly eyes at me every time I walk past her and mention "not now honey, but soon". :love

Nope, Paul was more eloquent than I could ever be.

I was gonna post:

"I understand the need to be super uptight about stuff happening on the road. Stuff happening on the road is part of riding. Since my group doesn't ride with a chase van and a trailer, I think we are riders. It's not a lot of fun to have stuff happen in the middle of butt-nut where Sasquatch lives but last I checked, no amount of spreadsheet creation and analysis prevented monster pot-holes, tire killer nails or Redheads that serve cold beer.

Stuff happening on the side of the road leads to good things, new friends, a great place to stay that has awesome food and sometimes, the next wife.

To make a few things a bit clearer, a Redhead that serves me a cold beer is a TLM (Trip Limiting Move) as I more often than not, I ask them to marry me. This should not be confused with a BBW ((Blown Bike Wheel)did that with the monster pot-hole this summer) or a 2/3rd rounder(2/3rds of my tire are round, one third ain't).

You should also know that some of your brethren members hate you when you talk about riding when it's ballzdropov cold and you talk about riding. I think we should open a new forum section devoted to adding farkles to your snowblower."

Ok San Antonio, I did substitute "S--t" for "Stuff" and I didn't mention that it gets so cold here that a penis turns into a button on a fur coat which results in peeing all over your boots.

We good until the next time? Prolly be tomorrow though.

How's the bob sled team doing?

Back