• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT tires ?

hobarter

I’ve had excellent performance (wet, curves, etc.) and mileage (+12K on my current RP4s) with Michelin Road Pilot 3s & 4s but now do need some new rubber - Question to those oilheads out there: Would it make much difference to run a set of RP5GTs ?
I’m not against running other brands (have had good luck with Metzlers & Bridgestones, but these last few years I like the Michelin ride the best) -
Does my 2002 R1150RT warrant moving to a GT tire ?
It’s pretty subjective how one feels about tires, especially with the quality of the tires mentioned above.
But any input from MOA would be appreciated - Thanks a lot -

When I bought my '03 R1150RT it had PR3s on it. When they wore out I replaced them with Dunlop RSII (that is not a typo: it's 2, not 3). They had good reviews and I liked the price. A lot. Now that I have a little over 6000 miles on them I like the ride just as well as the PR3s. They are a little bit more squirmy on tar snakes than the Michelins were. Otherwise, on both wet and dry pavement they feel very sure-footed. Just by eyeballing them I'd say I have at least 50% tread left both front and rear.

I only ride one-up and with little weight in the luggage, so I don't have a need for GT tires myself.

Probably the odd man out

Howdy,

I ride twisty mountain roads, sometimes littered with rocks & tree branch debris, in addition to living up a mountain gravel road. I have been running Shinko 705 tires on all
of my bikes except for my K1600GT (Shinko does not manufacture a 705 for the rear tire size). My 04 1150RT handled like a dream (when it was still running) with the 705's. I could take corners extremely well & never feel the rain grooves, true I've never rode autobahn speeds with these tires.. so I cannot speak for the speed factor, but at Idaho highway speeds they are extremely stable and also have a great wear factor.

I’ve had excellent performance (wet, curves, etc.) and mileage (+12K on my current RP4s) with Michelin Road Pilot 3s & 4s but now do need some new rubber - Question to those oilheads out there: Would it make much difference to run a set of RP5GTs ?

Short answer. As long as they're the proper size - No. :thumb

It’s pretty subjective how one feels about tires, especially with the quality of the tires mentioned above. But any input from MOA would be appreciated - Thanks a lot -

Yes. I have Road 5's on my R1200RS and really like them, as have a number of internet reviewers, but I also like the Metzeler Z8's on my R1200ST. The bike handover guy at my local mega dealer told me the (non GT) 5's are his favourite tire.

Just for some weekend fun, I did some searches and couldn't come up with any solid information on the GT. One guy on ADVrider buttonholed a Michelin rep at an event about the GTs, but didn't post anything definitive about what the rep had told him.

Until more is known about this tire, I would just go with the Road 5's.

R1150RT tires

hello, i have two gs's and a k1600gt so cant recommend a tire for your rt. but if you are interested check out (the visor shop) for purchasing rires after you decide.
i have purchased three sets and advised several of my club members about this site. even with $90 shipping from belfast saved $60 on total purchase of a set of michelins and had them in 3 days. just an fyi....

Mich PR4 GT’s

I’m a Michelin fan.....on second set of PR4GT’s, had PR2’s prior, Metzeller before that:thumb

I second the Shinkos

Howdy,

I ride twisty mountain roads, sometimes littered with rocks & tree branch debris, in addition to living up a mountain gravel road. I have been running Shinko 705 tires on all
of my bikes except for my K1600GT (Shinko does not manufacture a 705 for the rear tire size). My 04 1150RT handled like a dream (when it was still running) with the 705's. I could take corners extremely well & never feel the rain grooves, true I've never rode autobahn speeds with these tires.. so I cannot speak for the speed factor, but at Idaho highway speeds they are extremely stable and also have a great wear factor.

I’m with cavedweller. I just bought an ‘03 1150rt and replaced the rubber with Shinkos. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Shinkos. These are the 880’s.

Shinkos for me too

I have a set of 011 Verge on my 2002 RT. Mileage has been comparable to Michelins and Roadsmart 3. they are also very quiet. I do not know how they will perform in the rain. So far I am happy with this choice.

Howdy,

I retire in July. We will be moving in the next 2-4 years to our place in the mountains of NM. In addition to our house being on a dirt road, I'd love to be able to ride moderate dirt roads in the mountains.

Does anyone have experience on Shinko 705 tires on an RT or RS? Or should I just take the opportunity to be like Paul and Voni Glaves and ditch the larger bike to go to the G310GS with similar tires?

I retire in July. We will be moving in the next 2-4 years to our place in the mountains of NM. In addition to our house being on a dirt road, I'd love to be able to ride moderate dirt roads in the mountains.

Does anyone have experience on Shinko 705 tires on an RT or RS? Or should I just take the opportunity to be like Paul and Voni Glaves and ditch the larger bike to go to the G310GS with similar tires?

I spooned on a set of 705's on my 2000 RT last Fall for the first time. I've put about 1400 miles on them so far. Would have been more but the bike hasn't left the garage yet this month.Lots of snow here in central Ohio right now.

I like the tires. They seemed a bit skittish in the rain for the first few hundred miles but now that they're scuffed in well, no problems. I've had a few opportunities to push them on clean, dry roads and found them to be pretty good for hustling through the twisties. Definitely not in the same category as the Pirelli Angel GTs I usually run but considering the price difference I'd be tempted to run the 705's again.

I'll try to remember to come back and report what mileage I get from them once the weather breaks.

Cheers!
-Art

I spooned on a set of 705's on my 2000 RT last Fall for the first time. I've put about 1400 miles on them so far. Would have been more but the bike hasn't left the garage yet this month.Lots of snow here in central Ohio right now.

Thanks for that report. I look forward to seeing the mileage. Have you done any dirt or gravel roads?

Dunlop RoadSmart II's here

I have put on fresh Dunlop RoadSmart II's. Probably not the best tire out there but great dependability and decent performance with a great price point.

Back