• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 K1600gt coolant low

Pjcrump

I just picked up a 2013 k1600gt with 21k miles and I was looking it over once I got it home and I can't see any coolant in the plastic container. I am planning on taking the Tupperware off this weekend to add some more.

Are there things I should be looking for as I do this? Do I need to be concerned?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on the big K.
You don't need to take all the plastic off.
Remove the R/S air deflector and a couple screws on the fairing and you should be able to get to the overflow tank.
Make sure you add the right spec coolant. I use Pentosin; thats what BMW uses. I believe its the "blue" formula.
I assume you checked around the motorcycle for leaks?
Its not unusual for coolant to be a little low.
If no leaks; you should be OK.

Maybe see you on the road come spring.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

I am going to get some of that coolant (pentosin nf) from O'Reilly along with distilled water. Looked at the screws last night and it seemed like I need to pull off that lower radiator bezel as well. You are saying I won't need to pull that one?

Thx

Well you can if you're going to pull everything off.
If you remove the deflector and two screws in the front, you can gently pull the plastic away from the frame enough to get in there with a long funnel.
But if you're not comfortable doing that, then yes, remove the lower bezel and the screw under the front of the seat (and a couple others).

Joe

Add coolant and keep an eye on it. I wouldn't worry about it. As much hassle it is to add coolant it might have gotten ignored.

Do validate the water pump is not leaking. There were problems with wp design early on.

I have gone through three of them under warranty.

Great replies.
* there are no leaks from the water pump or anything else
* I have since done several cycles of running the bike for 20 minutes and letting it cool down. I have done the last 2 cycles on the side stand instead of the center stand because of a thread I read about how the side stand may be better for releasing trapped air

Do these bikes have a history of using coolant?

Radiator gets moved/disconnected for valve checks, which is every 18k miles. Quite possible the mechanic that did the work, didn't burp the system and top off so it pulled from the reservoir. Just fill with, like the link someone else posted and keep an eye on it. And watch the water pump area.

Back