• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding jeans

EUGENE

Any one use riding jeans, for under $300, with armor and CE knee pads? Last months BMWON had a review but no knee armor in the ones tested.[page28 & 29]

My riding buddy has a pair of the Klim riding jeans (with knee armor) and swears by them. I rarely see him ride in anything but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a pair of Klim Fifty 2 jeans, which are a straight fit, I really like them, knee, hip, and tail bone armor with kevlar panels. They are still pretty warm in the heat of the summer.

I had a pair of Klim K fifty1 jeans, they were pretty baggy through the seat/hips/thighs. I sold them off about year ago after getting the new K fifty 2s.

Years ago I had a pair of Dragg'n Jeans, I didn't really care for them. Kevlar but no armor, and the fit was weird for me.

Klim jeans

My riding buddy has a pair of the Klim riding jeans (with knee armor) and swears by them. I rarely see him ride in anything but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ditto the Klim jeans with armor. They’re the only pants I ride with, I have several pairs, and if colder I simply put on a pair of Under Armour leggings beneath. Of course I have rain pants tucked away just in case. However, I find these Klim jeans with armor to be comfortable on long tours on my R1200RT. And of course.... YMMV!

Bill It Jeans

My favorite are Bull It Jeans. They have the pockets for armor, but don't come with it. I have worn Bohn armored tights under my jeans for a while because it holds the armor in the right place.

The Bull It Jeans fit snug but not tight. So I think they'd hold the armor just as well.

My favorite are Bull It Jeans. They have the pockets for armor, but don't come with it. I have worn Bohn armored tights under my jeans for a while because it holds the armor in the right place.

The Bull It Jeans fit snug but not tight. So I think they'd hold the armor just as well.

Which series of Bull It Jeans?

I bought a set of the Bohn Armour bottoms late last summer. I wear the heavy Duluth Trading fire hose jeans over them. They are comfortable and the fire hose pants are just as heavy as any riding jeans I have looked at. It will be interesting to see how they are in really hot weather vs. my Motoport mesh riding pants.

I have three riding pants -Klim ("jeans") Saint (gray Kevlar or something) and BMW summer 3("Chino) all with armour Seems that I always gravitate to the Klim K fifty2. So comfortable I usually forget to take them off after a ride. They also seem to have a small extra armour piece in the tailbone that no others have. I really like them. When I got them I saw they were made in China- something I avoid if possible- it was NOT possible- they are too good for me to stick with a "foolish consistency" ("the hobgoblin of small minds" RW Emerson)

I have (and really like) the Klim K51 jeans. I also have the dragin cargo pants, and diamond gusset jeans. I wear the diamond gusset the most, though they probably have the least amount of kevlar. The dragin cargo pants are very nice, and I think that the Klim jeans are the best, though they have a liner. Sometimes that is good, other times it isn't so good.
I have not had good luck with knee pads in riding pants, unless I can easily take the pants off before I go for a walk. The knee pads just aren't comfortable for me to walk in. Like, not at all comfortable. That's among several pairs of riding jeans, Klim Latitude pants, and Aerostich AD1 pants. Of course, YMMV... Many people are very happy with knee armor in their riding jeans, and you may be another.

I bought a set of the Bohn Armour bottoms late last summer. I wear the heavy Duluth Trading fire hose jeans over them. They are comfortable and the fire hose pants are just as heavy as any riding jeans I have looked at. It will be interesting to see how they are in really hot weather vs. my Motoport mesh riding pants.

The Bohn Armor and riding jean set-up has been a good choice for me.

I did a 4000 mile week in the Bohn Armor and Bull It riding jeans set up. I wore a Klim induction Jacket, Frogg Toggs rain gear, AGV gloves/ BMW Gloves, Forma Boots, and a Nolan Helmet. All performed as expected. The only niggles I could mention is jacked up leg zipper on the Frogg Toggs rain Pants. And the tailbone protector in the Bohn Armor pants always seems to rotate the wrong direction.

I hit 98° in Tucson down to 30° and snow on the Utah\ Colorado border.

I'd set out on another 4000 mile trip with the exact same gear.

I'll be riding in the Bohn pants and staying with my normal heavy Carhart's.

Riding Jeans to fit

I'm migrated to suspenders with riding pants as I can buy a size up and have a bit of a looser fit. It seems in my advanced years I fluctuate about 10lbs from year to year. Let go and gain the 10, then go on a diet and lose the 10. Everything fits great on the down cycle and everything fits too tight on the up cycle. I just checked out the Klim Fifty 1 and Fifty 2 jeans and using their sizing wizard them recommend 36S as I have about a 34-35 waist and 27.5" inseam. They don't have that size, and doubt if they will. I remember vaguely chasing down a small company (1, maybe 2 person shop) that handmade moto jeans but for the life of me can't find the link. That seems to be where I'm headed if I want to continue to wear jeans as opposed to riding pants.

Scotty

Not meaning to be pedantic and probably no one cares ... so just for the record/fyi ...

The reason motorcycle racers wear one-piece leathers and the reason many riding suits feature zip-together jackets and pants is that if your pants aren't essentially attached to your shoulders there exists some chance they will simply come off as you're sliding down the pavement after a get-off. I wouldn't count on suspenders.

So, recommend thinking safety over economy.

I hear about lots of people wearing riding jeans, but I have yet to read much about how they actually work in a crash, low, med or high speed.

I know from my childhood days that jeans will rip from a 5MPH crash from a skateboard.

Has anybody crashed a set and reported it?

I have a generic pair of riding jeans and have a couple of issues with then
One the armor is annoying when not setting on motorcycles, on some brands armor can be removed with out taking pants off, I cheaped out and did not get that feature.
Two with the Kevlar lining jeans are very hot in warm weather.
The good my wife really likes the way the look when I have them on so I remove armor and happy wife happy life.
Before I take off on a ride I am putting on my riding boots, jacket, helmets and gloves so so putting on a pair of motorcycle pants over what ever I am wearing that day no big deal. I have a couple of pair of Aerostich Darien’s that I purchased used, side zips on legs make pants easy to put on or take off over boots, waterproof so I don’t have to carry rain pants with me. To stay comfortable while riding light stuff under them in the summer and heavy stuff in the winter

SO after some thoughts

I think I am down to Aerostich Protekt, Bull It Tactical jeans or the new Bull It Convert jeans. Will do more research now.I like items of each of them.:wave
Yes, must make the wife happy!

Last edited:
Back