• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A simple question (Hopefully) about the GS911 WiFi tool..

rvint

Does the GS911 WiFi display the same information and provide the same functional options when used both on a mobile phone and a laptop?
In my particular case, I used my GS911 (for the first time) with my iPhone but when I went to play with it on my iPad, I discovered that my iPad was too old to support the current version of the 911 tool. So, before I run out and purchase a new iPad/laptop, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to gain anything other than a little convenience by using a laptop vs. my iPhone. Most likely, I will not be using the device to store data. I will primarily use the tool to clear fault codes (mostly oil) and if any major codes/problems appear, I'll leave the repairs to the dealer, since I would probably do more harm than good.

Many 'thanks' in advance!!

Just for the halibut, check the software versions on the iPhone and iPad and see where they are at. If you have been taking the update(s), they should be similar.
OM

the last and final update for my iPad is 9...…and it's unable to go from there. :(

Yeah, my iPhone 4 was stuck there :gerg

Anyway, I think you would have the same results if the updates were the same. Just easier to see on a larger screen.
The “Tag Cloud” has many threads that may help you.

OM

First a disclaimer.... I am a techno ludite. My experience and understanding of my GS911WiFi that is three years old.....

It will work with an iPhone only thru WiFi that is a local area WiFi established by the GS911. It has limited capability when used in this manner. Basically it is a code reader only that is good for on the road use. I suspect an iPad will have the same limitations. To get full functionality out of the GS911 I use the cable and connect to an MSDos computer. Every other computer and related device I own is an Apple but I have one MSDos laptop I keep in the shop just for the GS911.

There may be changes in newer GS911s that I do not know about, but this is the way I use mine.

From yet another luddite...

As I seem to recall, the phone connectivity is for emergency, roadside use. To take advantage of all of the functionality (specifically for me, to reset the service reminder) you need to connect the GS911 to a computer with the supplied USB cable.

That may not be true with the latest firmware, but I won't try using my phone with the GS911, unless there is no other option. I find the limited functionality and having to create an ad hoc network extremely frustrating, and prefer to not have such frustrations. I do carry the GS911 on all of my trips, but also keep the pictographic instruction sheet in case I don't have a computer to plug in.

I'm sure that there are people who are able to easily go between the different modes and devices. I'm not one of them, and I've found a way to do what I need to do. I stick with that, and I'm reasonable happy.

From yet another luddite...

As I seem to recall, the phone connectivity is for emergency, roadside use. To take advantage of all of the functionality (specifically for me, to reset the service reminder) you need to connect the GS911 to a computer with the supplied USB cable.

That may not be true with the latest firmware, but I won't try using my phone with the GS911, unless there is no other option. I find the limited functionality and having to create an ad hoc network extremely frustrating, and prefer to not have such frustrations. I do carry the GS911 on all of my trips, but also keep the pictographic instruction sheet in case I don't have a computer to plug in.

I'm sure that there are people who are able to easily go between the different modes and devices. I'm not one of them, and I've found a way to do what I need to do. I stick with that, and I'm reasonable happy.

Yes, but at least you can spell “ludite” correctly. 😉

I was able to reset the service reminder and view error codes using my iPhone 11 and the latest software on both the GS911wifi and the app on the phone. I never connected to a laptop since I don’t own one ... I haven’t tried the iPad yet tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back