Thread: Recent MOA Foundation Mailing - SafeMile Endowment

Recent MOA Foundation Mailing - SafeMile Endowment

I have no doubt the folks of the MOA Foundation are good people, but a bit more discussion on the goal or plan for the SafeMile endowment/project would have been of interest to me. Just offering gifts and raffle ticket blocks depending the amount of the contribution, seems hollow to me............Please give us money so we can make riders safer.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

The foundation is all about training. If training makes riders safer and training takes money to provide then fund rising to provide training make ssense.
    That said I don't know much about this specific fundraiser.

Ted Moyer to the white courtesy phone please.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I have no doubt the folks of the MOA Foundation are good people, but a bit more discussion on the goal or plan for the SafeMile endowment/project would have been of interest to me. Just offering gifts and raffle ticket blocks depending the amount of the contribution, seems hollow to me............Please give us money so we can make riders safer.
    It's a good program but you make a good point. The fund raising may have better results if the mailers include a brief description of the different ways the money is used.
    Send a couple emails and make the suggestion.
    Chuck Manley is president of the foundation cmanley@bmwmoaf.org
    Vance Harrelson is Vice President vance@bmwmoaf.org

I don't care about a decal or saddlebag medallion but I plan to donate.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    I haven't received the "recent" mailing myself, but the following is from the Foundation concerning the SafeMiles initiative:

SafeMiles. It's the thing we all hope for when we throw a leg over the saddle and head out for the day - to enjoy our sport and be certain there is a tomorrow. We're out to make sure this hope is a reality. That's why we created the SafeMiles Endowment fund. A long term legacy fund to provide for the future of motorcycling.

100% of your donations to the SafeMiles Endowment will be deposited into a long term fund to support rider safety, education and training initiatives of the BMW MOA Foundation. We won't use a dime until we have 1 million dollars in the bank. Then, we start changing the future of motorcycling.

The options to support the SafeMiles Endowment are easy. No matter what level you want to give or on what interval, you can support our lofty goals. And we greatly appreciate your support. So do the riders that benefit from your generosity. Learn more about the SafeMiles Endowment on our website.

You can easily look up more information via bmwmoa.org and then the selection of our MOA Foundation.

"travel'n" john

The SafeMiles campaign supports the same initiatives the Foundation has been championing - the Paul B. Scholarship fund, group training initiatives at the club level, Premier Training events for MOA members, rider training at the Rally, the GEARS program and the Built for All of Us awareness initiative. The difference with the SafeMiles campaign is the time
    horizon of when the funds will be used.

The intent of the SafeMiles fund is to accrue a $1 million fund and use the interest or investment gains off that money to self fund the Foundation initiatives. The expectation is those initiatives will be the same as they are today. Rather than simply redistributing current donations, the Foundation is looking for a way to “invest” in rider education and safety.

It is a fair point that the mailer could contain additional info to explain the program. SafeMiles is an on going initiative and won’t end any time soon. It has been well received by several members and we have almost twenty people who have committed $10,000 or more to make the fund a reality. The mailer was a reminder that the Foundation is available for end of year donations, but if it provides an opportunity for more in depth discussion about the Foundation, our Board members and myself are certainly available to anyone who is interested.

Have a safe and happy New Year.

Ted
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

Quote Originally Posted by t2moyer View Post
    The SafeMiles campaign supports the same initiatives the Foundation has been championing - the Paul B. Scholarship fund, group training initiatives at the club level, Premier Training events for MOA members, rider training at the Rally, the GEARS program and the Built for All of Us awareness initiative. The difference with the SafeMiles campaign is the time
    horizon of when the funds will be used.

The intent of the SafeMiles fund is to accrue a $1 million fund and use the interest or investment gains off that money to self fund the Foundation initiatives. The expectation is those initiatives will be the same as they are today. Rather than simply redistributing current donations, the Foundation is looking for a way to “invest” in rider education and safety.

It is a fair point that the mailer could contain additional info to explain the program. SafeMiles is an on going initiative and won’t end any time soon. It has been well received by several members and we have almost twenty people who have committed $10,000 or more to make the fund a reality. The mailer was a reminder that the Foundation is available for end of year donations, but if it provides an opportunity for more in depth discussion about the Foundation, our Board members and myself are certainly available to anyone who is interested.

Have a safe and happy New Year.

Ted
    Ted,

I appreciate the frank response.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Thanks Ted.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT