• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking at the First Gear website I see they do not show a variable controller, just a switch to mount on the handle bars, if you have tubular bars.
They do not show the inside of the jacket to see if it has connections for a Powerlet or Warm & Safe controller.
I agree, the on off switch on the First Gear jacket looks like it would be very difficult to reach under your riding jacket while going down the road.

View attachment 76740
The tab does hang down far enough for me to find with gloved hand and push button to turn on or change temp by cycling thru the button. For me, it is impossible to see button and confirm setting so only to really get it right is hold for few seconds to turn off and then turn back on and toggle. I recently started using remote and it makes it super easy now to use.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

The tab does hang down far enough for me to find with gloved hand and push button to turn on or change temp by cycling thru the button.

It looks like it hangs down enough for waist length riding jackets, what about jackets that cover the hips like these?

Fredericksburg Airport (5).JPG

River Road near Gruene.jpg

It looks like it hangs down enough for waist length riding jackets, what about jackets that cover the hips like these?

View attachment 76745

View attachment 76746

No way. I wear a Klim Latitude and there's no way I could find that button there. Some have them on the left side over your pec. Same thing, I've never find them with my gloves and Klim in the way. That and there no feedback until your shirt catches fire under the jacket. :banghead

No way. I wear a Klim Latitude and there's no way I could find that button there. Some have them on the left side over your pec. Same thing, I've never find them with my gloves and Klim in the way. That and there no feedback until your shirt catches fire under the jacket. :banghead
I'm using mine with klim latitude and not having issue getting to button. I'm using vest versus jacket and don't know if that makes a difference or maybe I'm lucky with dimensions, but XL in both. It is a pain to figure out setting without being able to see. If I'm getting cold, then I know it's not on high. Hit button again and wait a minute. That if gets warmer I know it was on low and I just kicked to high. If it doesn't get warmer, then I must have been in medium and now low, so just hit button again to be high. If that doesn't work, I realize wasn't on and now just hit button and hold couple seconds to turn on. The remote fixed all that nonsense. But, I know if battery in remote goes, still works.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

So does that liner default to full on so you can use the wireless (I have the W&S dual controller) or do you have to plug in, turn it full on, then zip up and go? Seems like a PITA to me. What keeps you from accidentally hitting the switch which would then turn it off?

The jacket has a long plug hanging from the left side that plugs the receiver in the left pocket into the battery wiring harness. The wireless controller module (Remote Heat-troller) has two knobs for two different clothing; jacket and pants, for example. When the knob is turned counterclockwise to the 12:00 position, it clicks to the off position. Plug in the jacket, turn knob clockwise to desired temp. Further towards the 10:00 position it gets warmer, counterclockwise to 3:00 and it's cooler. Simple.

I plan to velcro the wireless controller module to my new RCU shelf that just showed up today and is destined to be installed on Saturday. I'll simply plug in and then turn the knob that's sitting right in front of me. I've seen others velcro their wireless controller module to the top of the clutch reservoir. It seems altogether pretty easy, I know my wife has not complained a bit about her First Gear heated jacket.

If the wireless controller module is lost, it will set the temp to 33% so you at least have some heat. The wireless controller module will turn off after 30 minutes after losing contact with the receiver. If you're back on the bike inside of 30, it goes back to the temperature set before.

The jacket has a long plug hanging from the left side that plugs the receiver in the left pocket into the battery wiring harness. The wireless controller module (Remote Heat-troller) has two knobs for two different clothing; jacket and pants, for example. When the knob is turned counterclockwise to the 12:00 position, it clicks to the off position. Plug in the jacket, turn knob clockwise to desired temp. Further towards the 10:00 position it gets warmer, counterclockwise to 3:00 and it's cooler. Simple.

The Venture site does not show a controller with knobs.
Are you using one like I pictured in post # 32 ?

Nice partial shot of the Tri-Pacer

He may have sold it, I did not see it in the hanger when we stopped by this last spring.
Fredericksburg Airport (3).JPG

He has a nice Super Cub he had reskinned last year or year before and also a 180.
Bob (2).jpg

Bob (1) - Copy.jpg

He always has nice toys.
Bob's 70 Mach 1.jpg

The Venture site does not show a controller with knobs.
Are you using one like I pictured in post # 32 ?

Yes, it looks exactly like the image of the First Gear receiver and remote on post #32 at the bottom. It has a yellow knob for the second clothing piece and a red knob for the 1st piece. Each knob has a small LED that apparently blinks to let you know it made the requested heat change, but then goes out so as to not use too much battery.

I will probably install my new RCU shelf and the battery wiring harness for the First Gear jacket tomorrow. I can supply an image of the remote on the RCU shelf after that is complete.

Last edited:
What keeps you from accidentally hitting the switch which would then turn it off?

Hi Pappy, here's how I mounted the wireless controller. I velcro'ed it to the underside of the new RCU shelf (very nice, btw) with the leash tied off to the support for the RCU shelf. It's easy to reach and make adjustments. Rode about 100 miles today after install, I think it will work well in that location. The jacket worked great, it was so nice to be out on a cool day and not be bundled up like the little brother in the Christmas Story.

BlueDash LowRes.jpg

So does that liner default to full on so you can use the wireless (I have the W&S dual controller) or do you have to plug in, turn it full on, then zip up and go? Seems like a PITA to me. What keeps you from accidentally hitting the switch which would then turn it off?

Another option to mount the wireless remote is a small patch of velcro on the brake fluid reservoir. I also hook the leash to the handlebar just in case it comes off the velcro, but I've never had that happen. It's very convenient to adjust having it located on the reservoir.

OP asked about Kanetsu from Aerostitch?

I have had that brand vest for 10 years plus. Works great, stores very small. Controller is on/off, no dial or levels.
The logic of vests is that if your core body is warm, other parts will feel warm. I have found that to be true. Riding jacket insulates and keeps heat in, keep neck warm with some gaiter or scarf and you are good to go. Most other electric gear is a lot of hassle and expense, for little return.

Back