• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moto316

I'm looking to buy a heated vest. My search through the forum for prior reviews came up empty? Any recommendations on a good one. Thanks

Have a look at the "Similar Threads" pane at the bottom of the page. You can search the "Tag Cloud" as well. As soon as you type in Heat, the possibilities appear.
Good luck.
OM

Gerbing used to be good but they have changed hands several times and I don't know if the current company is good.
I think the current company is Gyde.

If we had to replace our gear I would probably buy Warm and Safe.
https://www.warmnsafe.com/

You can buy a Widder vest at the Iron Butt Association's online store. Mike Kneebone bought the Widder stock when the went out of business. Under $75 for non-members and $70 for members. The Widder gear uses their own connector for power which comes with the vest along with an on/off switch. If you prefer it to have a coaxial conector that can be used with a controller, then they are available from Ken Phenix for $80-85. Ken is on Facebook. Widder gear is of very high quality.

+1 on Warm & Safe. And you really want a jacket liner, with sleeves, and not a vest. Makes a world of difference!

Best,
DeVern

Have a look at the "Similar Threads" pane at the bottom of the page. You can search the "Tag Cloud" as well. As soon as you type in Heat, the possibilities appear.
Good luck.
OM

Gerbing and Warmnsafe are also featured through the Tag Cloud as well.
OM

NOS Widder cannot be beat, price is right as well. My wife bought me a vest and arm chaps in 1999, I'm still running them with no issues what so ever.

I'm new to heated gear, but my Venture Heat jacket and pants worked well this fall. The pants are over kill for me, but the jacket is fantastic. Jacket purchase price includes remote controller and battery pigtail.

The original founder of Gerbing has a new company with the same, good ole fashioned service and quality from their beginnings. I found out Gerbing changed ownership in '14 and then experienced it, first hand, a few years later. When my gloves give out, I will go with
https://www.gordonsheated.com/index.php

+ 3 on Warm 'n' Safe. My Gerbings controller quit (in my opinion, rather prematurely), so I went with Warm 'n' Safe jacket and I have been very pleased. I also use the wireless controller, which sits conveniently on my brake fluid reservoir via a small patch of Velcro.

Regardless of what brand you go with, I would recommend a full jacket rather than just the vest (in fact, I don't believe Warm 'n' Safe even makes a vest). Having heat on the arms doesn't cost all that much more than a vest and, IMHO, it's additional money well spent. After all, you're buying it to keep warm. :)

When you buy new heated gear, it’s a great time to get yourself a connection wired directly to the battery. The connection can run the heated gear or provide a way to connect a battery maintainer.
OM

What ever brand you buy, DO NOT BUY A VEST! Buy a jacket with sleeves! I have a Warm and Safe with the wireless remote controller. I Velcro the controller to the handle bar so I can easily reach it. It is so much better than having the controller inline on he power cord.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm very intrigued by the Warm and Safe heated shirt, that might work for me. What's the deal with extra battery harness, do they break or do you lose them frequently? Is this something that I should get right away?

I was also looking at the Kanetsu vest from Aerostich, anybody tried that?

I'm looking to buy a heated vest. My search through the forum for prior reviews came up empty? Any recommendations on a good one. Thanks

Get a long sleeve liner with a dual controller in case you would want to add gloves, pant liners or a passenger. Everyone has a vest hanging in their closet because they didn't buy a long sleeve liner first.

I've had my Gerbings for more than 10 years and they still work.

Heat

I have a couple of the aerostich heated vests that I purchased used (cheap why I have 2 ) both work very well, also have the sleeves for one vest.
Much easier to store vest on motorcycle

I have a couple of the aerostich heated vests that I purchased used (cheap why I have 2 ) both work very well, also have the sleeves for one vest.
Much easier to store vest on motorcycle

My Warm 'n' Safe jacket liner and controller store in a small bag about the size of a Nalgene bottle. Not sure what you would save in storage without sleeves...but I know what you would give up in warmth. :)

I'm very intrigued by the Warm and Safe heated shirt, that might work for me. What's the deal with extra battery harness, do they break or do you lose them frequently?

Here's a review and discussion on the shirt. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...t-Review&highlight=Warm+and+Safe+heated+shirt

You only need one battery harness. This can be used for heated gear, battery charger and tire pump.
It's best to use the harness provided with heated gear as it has heavier wires compared to a harness provided with a battery harness.

Back