Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RDL how short is too short? sport seat?

RDL how short is too short? sport seat?

I want to pull the trigger on a Russell seat and have really searched to get a feel for opinions. There was one older thread where the consensus was "if you're under 6' forget it. I'm 5'9"ish (in the morning) and 178lbs (I'm also old-73) and about a 29-30" inseam.. I'm willing to scoot forward to stop and reach- but if the front of the seat is too wide then scooting forward won't help! I DID see a fairly recent thread on the sport seat but nothing since then. I'm a "more is more" kind of guy and see the sport seat as "less". I do tour on my 2016 R1200RT but obviously there are lots of stop and go involved even on long tours- if I can't comfortable reac with a loaded bike- then I'm in trouble (LOL). So I guess I'm looking for responses from similarly sized guys (or women) who have the RDL as well as experienced opinions of the sport seat. I've rarely seen a product so universally appreciated and I want it to work for me. BTW any opinions on vinyl vs leather will be appreciated bearing in mind that so-called "breathability" is probably a minor advantage by itself (IMHO)

Well, I had the same question and found, as you did, not a lot of info directly from others with SLS (Short Leg Syndrome).

That being the case, I just gave up and ordered a Russell. I spoke with Jay there and he was very helpful (the last time I reached out to them, a year or so ago, I spoke to a lady who was not at all helpful but I think she's gone now). Sent him the required pictures and he seemed very confident in their ability to make a seat that will work for me so I rolled the dice and we'll see. He said the Sport seat is what they would make for me.

My build date is Jan. 23rd so if you can wait that long (plus a little time for evaluation) I'll be posting pictures and info about it then.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    Well, I had the same question and found, as you did, not a lot of info directly from others with SLS (Short Leg Syndrome).

That being the case, I just gave up and ordered a Russell. I spoke with Jay there and he was very helpful (the last time I reached out to them, a year or so ago, I spoke to a lady who was not at all helpful but I think she's gone now). Sent him the required pictures and he seemed very confident in their ability to make a seat that will work for me so I rolled the dice and we'll see. He said the Sport seat is what they would make for me.

My build date is Jan. 23rd so if you can wait that long (plus a little time for evaluation) I'll be posting pictures and info about it then.
    Well, I was gonna call them when they re-open (29th) Just trying to do as much research as possible before. I did run across a comment on ADV rider that confirmed Russell's ability to keep the front as narrow as the seat pan allows...I also saw a comment that the sport was as much an "all day" as the "all day". Yeah- I saw that SHE is gone- one stinker can give a company a bad name. Curious what cover you went for and why? I'm upstate NY and I wonder if less blazing sun makes leather a decent option...I almost said f-it and went Sargent because of too many choices with Russell- but overwhelming positive comments brought me back to my senses!

I am also 5'9'' and 178lb (175cm and 81kg in our language) and have installed a RDL on my '16 RT. Since getting it, I have ridden tens of thousands of km's, inlcuding a 20,000km lap of Australia. Prior to getting the RDL I had my seat on the low setting and found that height to be about right. The RDL adds about 1" (25mm) to the height of the OEM which I found a little disconcerting for a while, but have since adjusted well to the extra height seat. The "Russel Slide" becomes instinctive after a short time and now I don't even notice that I'm doing it. I went vinyl and it's good as gold, and I usually wear LDComfort undies on the long hauls, as they are far more comfortable than other options.

I went with vinyl for the durability with a half-moon stitch to match the way my rear seat is done.

This seat was made for Loboheritage over on BMWLT and is pretty much what I'm hoping for. I sent this to Jay and he said that looks like what he has in mind for me.
    IMG00026[1].jpg

This is what I have now and it just doesn't work for me unfortunately.
    IMG_20190515_200826.jpg

Double Post...

I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam. 175lbs and 70 yrs old. I got a standard RDL 2 years ago for my '16 RT. I got used to the forward slide but was still a bit uncomfortable with a fully loaded bike. I bought a pair of Daytona M-Star GTX elevator boots which helped quite a bit. The seat is incredibly comfortable. I can ride 700 mile days with only fuel stops. I used to have to stop and stretch at half a tank.
    If I had to do it over, I think I would go for the sport seat. I think the narrower front would work well for me.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

I have a Russel sport seat on my 1100RS, I am 74, weight about 165 with a 28 inseam. I also bought a set of Wilbers with the -30 mm option. So with that combination coming to stops is no longer an issue, I am on the balls of ny feet, but no more tippy toes stops. The sport seat narrows at the front allowing you to reach easier, works really well for me.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Honda XL600R

If it makes you feel and better I have a 30" inseam and the seat height on my 640 is 37"
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    If it makes you feel and better I have a 30" inseam and the seat height on my 640 is 37"
    Where do you carry the step stool?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Damn! I DO feel better! I also remeasured and came up with a 30" inseam- I guess it depends where I stop the tape! ankle or floor.

I'm 5'6", 29" inseam. A couple of years ago the Day-Long folks recommended against me getting one of their seats for my '15 RT because based on what I told them, their standard seat wouldn't work for me because it'd be too tall when stopped. I appreciated their honesty, it shows they'd rather not take my money if it appears I'm destined to be an unhappy customer.

I have a GSA low now, when I reached out this time they offered me the option of a sport seat. I don't know if this is a new offering since 2016 or whether it's just a function of who I talked to last time vs. this time. This will replace the 2nd Sargent (first was fine but was toast after 100K miles, the 2nd one isn't near as good for some reason). Production date is 7 January but I'll be gone until late March so won't know how it'll work for me until I get back. I'll probably include Shasta Lake in my summer travel plans so I can set up an appointment for tweaking it if necessary.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Another option is http://laamseats.com/ I believe Lamm used to work for RDL. I had him build a seat for my Superduke GT. He will make the seat to any height you want as well as sculpt the front to allow your feet to be down as far as you want. He asks for pictures of you on the bike and then has a 20 min. conversation with you when he gets to the build. I was very happy with the seat both for sport riding and slabbing. I've got a 29" inseam and I believe the SD seat is higher than your beemer's.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '18 Street Triple RS, 2020 R1250R (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

I am your size and inseam also, and have been running the Sport Seat on my '15 RT since new. As are most folks who have gone with a RDL, I am a satisfied customer. Regarding material, I went vinyl on their recommendation. I do have wear on the front right of my seat where my boot or pant leg (from kevlar gear) rub when mounting and dismounting my bike. I have wondered if leather would have worn a little better against this kind of wear ... I really don't know the answer. I think I will order leather next time though.
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / 1955 BMW R50 - Yard Art - 1968 Hodaka / 1968 Sachs
    President SCBMWRC https://scbmwrc.com/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/scbmwrc/
    MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

I ordered the day long BUT also called and was told that when they got the pictures they could give a more definitive opinion on Sport option. Based on my final numbers no red flags were raised concerning the day long...yet. I felt very comfortable dealing with them and am looking forward to winding up with the right seat for me. I also went with leather insert and vinyl sides- he also felt that holds up best with comfort on leather and durability on the sides.