• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Roadside tire inflation

Rocky Creek MotoPressor

This little unit save my bacon when I got a flat in rural eastern Oregon. I ride a 2016 R1200RT, and this unit plugs into the accessory socket with an adaptor.

The pump you will see mentioned the most is Best Rest Cycle Pump.
https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/cyclepump-ez-gauge/

On trips I use a Air-Shot Moto Pump and on day rides I carry a Slime pump.
Slime & AirShot MotoPump (2).JPG

I like the Air-Shot best for trips because of the compact size and you can check the air pressure without removing the hose form the valve stem.

Cycle Pump lists for $115 to $130.
Air-Shot lists for $60
Slime lists for $30.
The Air-Sot used to be available on the ADV Rider forum in the Vendor section for $50.

The Air-Shot claims to have a low enough draw to use the BMW accessory outlet but I use a pigtail attached to the bike battery.

Whichever you get, get one. In 2015 we had a flat in the middle of nowhere Texas at 10:00 am on a Sunday morning. The tire pressure reading was dropping fast. 37, a mile later, 33, another mile, 27. Nothing but rocks and hills, then ..... Lone Star Motorcycle Museum. Middle of nowhere, and open on Sundays!! I asked the lady if we could repair the tire in front of the museum (more of just info sharing as we weren't going anywhere else) and she asked if we had enough air left to get the bike to the back of the museum. Barely, but yes. So to the back we go. Middle of nowhere with a compressor and work space. The odds are so low Spock would have to think about them. So get a compressor, any compressor. Unless you're feeling really, really lucky.
IMG_1843.JPG

I keep the CyclePump[emoji2400] EXPEDITION Tire Inflator (and a repair kit) on my bike in this box:
7dd5b7a6d8c54b8cb62d26f5f1f11b98.jpg

Fixed this puncture on the shoulder of I-70 in Effingham, IL just across the service road from a Harley dealer.
38e66083c607848bc30d7f1d851009db.jpg

I’ve also patched & inflated a tire in the middle of nowhere, without cell phone reception. Without the air pump, we would have been pretty screwed. I’m a big believer of having an air pump always on the bike.

I totally agree with the previous poster for the Moto Pumps Air Shot. I had his first generation pump that saved me any number of times and after sitting in an inch of water in my rally boxes for too long it was done. The Air Shot works very well and the little blue hose disconnects for easier storage. These work very well and are very durable. Rob at Moto Pumps is a great guy, very helpful with excellent customer service. Over 10 years later he looked me up from my first purchase in '07 and got me my pump in good time. When I misplaced my little blue hose he fires out another for me at no cost. I highly recommend Moto Pumps for the quality of their products and for the excellent customer service.

That being said I also carry a Mtn bike hand pump for backup. Only one of my main bikes is tubeless so now I need to get some plugs for that machine.

On this machine my pump lives in the little rally box down low by the motor, tool roll lives on the other side.
IMG_3660-L.jpg

Motopressor by Rocky Designs

Rocky Designs is running a free shipping after Christmas sale. Their small compressor runs $40.

My experience with a powered pump is that it shuts down when it gets too hot prior to adequate tire pressure.

The Moto Pump / Dydaplug pump does not over heat when filling a flat tire.

My $10 Walmart pump never shut down but you had to be careful how you held it because it got hot.
On canbus bikes if you use the accessory outlet with some of the higher draw pumps, the pump may work for a minute or two then shut off when it has to work harder as the tire gets closer to required pressure.
Air Pump.jpg

Back