• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mirror just popped off/ 01 k1200LT

jz3377

I was feeling pretty good, having just changed the headlight bulb and was backing my bike out of the shed for a Christmas day ride. The right mirror touched (and I'm talking TOUCHED) another object and the mirror just popped off. Evidently this is not the first time, since the previous owner had secured it with a zip tie so it would not crash to the ground. I didn't want to manhandle it too much and risk further damage. Is there an easy way to re-secure the mirror?

I was feeling pretty good, having just changed the headlight bulb and was backing my bike out of the shed for a Christmas day ride. The right mirror touched (and I'm talking TOUCHED) another object and the mirror just popped off. Evidently this is not the first time, since the previous owner had secured it with a zip tie so it would not crash to the ground. I didn't want to manhandle it too much and risk further damage. Is there an easy way to re-secure the mirror?
Did you try to remount it? My Honda ST1100 has "pop off" mirrors so that they detach with impact instead of breaking the fairing or mirror. It has tethers as well, but they are frequently replaced with a zip tie when they get old, otherwise the mirror will hit the ground and break if they pop off.

I haven't tried to remount it. I put it in the trunk and went riding. Figured I'd take a stab at it later. Any tricks to re-assembly?

I haven't tried to remount it. I put it in the trunk and went riding. Figured I'd take a stab at it later. Any tricks to re-assembly?

I don't have any experience with the BMW, but my Honda has ball shaped mounting posts that mated with corresponding sockets on the fairing. It just pushed straight on and clicked into place.

Sometimes they crack near the spring clips and don't stay on tight. There are three balls that the spring clips go over. Put a little grease on the balls.

Back