Thread: mirror just popped off/ 01 k1200LT

mirror just popped off/ 01 k1200LT

I was feeling pretty good, having just changed the headlight bulb and was backing my bike out of the shed for a Christmas day ride. The right mirror touched (and I'm talking TOUCHED) another object and the mirror just popped off. Evidently this is not the first time, since the previous owner had secured it with a zip tie so it would not crash to the ground. I didn't want to manhandle it too much and risk further damage. Is there an easy way to re-secure the mirror?
    I got here as quick as I could

One of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below mentions K1200LT mirror tethers. Sounds like this is a "thing" on the KLT:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Mirror-Tethers

Check the other thread also.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jz3377 View Post
    I was feeling pretty good, having just changed the headlight bulb and was backing my bike out of the shed for a Christmas day ride. The right mirror touched (and I'm talking TOUCHED) another object and the mirror just popped off. Evidently this is not the first time, since the previous owner had secured it with a zip tie so it would not crash to the ground. I didn't want to manhandle it too much and risk further damage. Is there an easy way to re-secure the mirror?
    Did you try to remount it? My Honda ST1100 has "pop off" mirrors so that they detach with impact instead of breaking the fairing or mirror. It has tethers as well, but they are frequently replaced with a zip tie when they get old, otherwise the mirror will hit the ground and break if they pop off.

I haven't tried to remount it. I put it in the trunk and went riding. Figured I'd take a stab at it later. Any tricks to re-assembly?
    I got here as quick as I could

Quote Originally Posted by jz3377 View Post
    I haven't tried to remount it. I put it in the trunk and went riding. Figured I'd take a stab at it later. Any tricks to re-assembly?
    I don't have any experience with the BMW, but my Honda has ball shaped mounting posts that mated with corresponding sockets on the fairing. It just pushed straight on and clicked into place.

Sometimes they crack near the spring clips and don't stay on tight. There are three balls that the spring clips go over. Put a little grease on the balls.
    Dave Selvig
    2008 Black LT
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT