• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT vs R1250RT Ergonomics

I never rode a 1200 RT before getting the 1250 RT, but, true to BMW fashion, the seat sucked for me. Hope expired at 2000 miles, so got a custom saddle. Peace in the valley, so to speak.

Did anything change as far as the ergonomics between the 2014-2018 R1200RT and the 2019 R1250RT?
No.

Both bikes have the same frame, subframe, handlebars, footpegs, etc.

If there are ergonomic issues you can readily get aftermarket seats, bar risers, repositioned pegs, etc. Virtually everting that fit the R1200RTW fits the R1250RT with the exception of most engine guards and a few other small items IIRC.

Exactly the same.
I like the factory seat, must have a nonstandard tush.

It seems that some people's backsides are more sensitive that others.

I wasn't sure about the stock seat on my 2018 RT, but after 6,000 miles it kinda grew on me. No plans to change it.

It seems that some people's backsides are more sensitive that others.

Sensitive, maybe. Differently shaped for sure. Supporting different weights for sure. Pressure in different spots for sure. I have ridden most of my 850,000 miles on stock seats. Voni has ridden almost all of her 1,100,000 miles on stock seats. OEM seats seem to work best for thinner, lighter weight people with narrower backsides.

I rode on the stock seat (2016 RT) for about 8K miles, but I would definitely get some discomfort on long days in the saddle (over 250 miles - and I did one day that was 525 miles).

I got a sargent seat and after breaking it in for a couple thousand miles, it feels much better. I have done as many as 400 miles in a day and haven't yet found the point at which the discomfort sets in.

I have had a 14 and a 15 and now have a 17 and 19.

Insofar as I can tell, they are the same. The stock saddles are the same and just as awful on both and are now RDLs on mine. The Ilium crash bars work the same (see photos}. Some of the software is a little different. The earlier oilhead top cases fit the same (see photos)

1200-head.jpg

Back