• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do THESE cam lobes look OK?

I’m curious on the cost of the oil analysis.
OM

It's only $28. Go to Blackstone to order a test kit (it's free and includes a shipping label (also free) and when it's time follow the instructions, or ask for a step by step here.

I do one every other change. Nice thing is that they catalog your engine and every subsequent analysis report will show the last results so not only do you get a snapshot but you also get data to see how things are trending. They also do a nice little write up, like a short lab report, comparing your results to others taken from other RTs of that year. It's very cool.

Here's the last one I got. Note that I used Big-Name Brand-X 20W50 the first time (@12k miles) and replaced it with Motorex Boxer 15W50 (subject of this report). See the Molybdenum levels? Since BMW doesn't want us to use Moly I now know that I did good for checking and switching brands (not trying to ignite an oil flame war, use what you want, I'm just pointing out that there are things one can learn by doing one of these analyses every now and then).

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:
It's only $28. Go to Blackstone to order a test kit (it's free and includes a shipping label (also free) and when it's time follow the instructions, or ask for a step by step here.

I do one every other change. Nice this is that they catalog your engine and every subsequent analysis report will show the last results so not only do you get a snapshot but you also data to see what the trends are. They also do a nice little write up comparing your results to others taken from other RTs of that year. It's very cool.

Interesting. Thanks.
For those testing oil, what would be the course of action if a report came back “bad”?
OM

Something like cam wear would show up as increased iron/carbon/chromium/nickel content (or something like that).

In the case of my first analysis I didn't collect the sample correctly (like a pee test it's supposed to be mid-stream). I screwed it up and ended up collecting a sample from the drain pan after the fact. Knowing that, I wasn't too concerned about off-baseline results. The second sample was done correctly and that anomalous iron reading was gone.

Now, if I had a Wethead that was still under warranty and got a sample or maybe two consecutive samples with elevated iron content I might take the report to the dealer and ask them to think about it. Better yet, just ask Blackstone to evaluate the sample in that light. You can add a comment or note saying something like "I'm worried about premature cam wear can you please evaluate the sample for signs of that?" They'll do a good job of that because this it what they do for a living.

Something like cam wear would show up as increased iron/carbon/chromium/nickel content (or something like that).

In the case of my first analysis I didn't collect the sample correctly (like a pee test it's supposed to be mid-stream). I screwed it up and ended up collecting a sample from the drain pan after the fact. Knowing that, I wasn't too concerned about off-baseline results. The second sample was done correctly and that anomalous iron reading was gone.

Now, if I had a Wethead that was still under warranty and got a sample or maybe two consecutive samples with elevated iron content I might take the report to the dealer and ask them to think about it. Better yet, just ask Blackstone to evaluate the sample in that light. You can add a comment or note saying something like "I'm worried about premature cam wear can you please evaluate the sample for signs of that?" They'll do a good job of that because this it what they do for a living.

Pretty sure what my dealer would say, "That's a great report, glad you got it. How's the bike running? Oh, it's running fine...well what would you like us to do? We can charge you an hour's labor to look at a R bike's cam, or four hours labor to look at an S or F cam, to see if we see anything. Of course, if your bike is running okay, doubt the mother ship would cover anything." I would think even with a "little" wear showing much isn't going to happen if all is running well and specs are holding within reason.

Pretty sure what my dealer would say, "That's a great report, glad you got it. How's the bike running? Oh, it's running fine...well what would you like us to do? We can charge you an hour's labor to look at a R bike's cam, or four hours labor to look at an S or F cam, to see if we see anything. Of course, if your bike is running okay, doubt the mother ship would cover anything." I would think even with a "little" wear showing much isn't going to happen if all is running well and specs are holding within reason.

Yeah. Most likely. I guess I mean if the oil report comes up with something grossly off. Even a minor miss would at least have me looking a little more closely for something than I might have otherwise. I'm betting that the subject cam wear actually happens pretty quickly once it starts so an oil report probably wouldn't be too useful as a predictor. It would however serve as evidence that whatever oil you were using was in-spec at the end of its run which might come in handy if the mothership or the dealer tried to claim you somehow caused the problem.

Interesting. Thanks.
For those testing oil, what would be the course of action if a report came back “bad”?
OM
I've been doing oil analysis on my '11 R1200r and intend to do it on the '18 RT. I guess it would depend on the level of "Bad" and what exactly is reporting as "Bad" as the the action taken. On the '11 if no shiny bits show up in the oil pan then no immediate action, just run the guts out of her. On the '18 probably pop the valve covers off and have a quick look, then run the guts out of her. I like the reports mostly for an indicator of oil life and effectiveness. With advice from Blackstone I've advanced my oil changes to a 7,000 mile interval because testing showed the oil was still effective and within specification.

I think that the only time(s) I would do oil analysis is to figure out what the possibilities due to something suspect when I did an oil change or to check some fancy engine mods I had done myself. Being old :gerg I have always looked at the drained oil and run/felt the old oil between my fingers as engine condition "check".
Beat up/used up oil was pretty easy to tell and event a quick smell could let you know if the fuel pump diaphragm could have been leaking back into the engine. Even a relatively quick change or usually quick change in oil color is worth noting. A good example of abused oil can still be found in most homeowners push-type lawnmowers. The new oils are so much better at doing what they are supposed to do, I have faith in them.
I think that having oil analysis records would be a plus when buying a used bike.
OM

I think that having oil analysis records would be a plus when buying a used bike.
OM

That's the another reason I do it. Did it on airplanes, too; it adds to buyers' confidence in an engine's maintenance history. No one is going to produce an oil analysis history spec sheet showing 6000 mile oil changes who didn't actually do, or have them done. Of course if you let your dealer do it, there are the invoices.

M

I think that the only time(s) I would do oil analysis is to figure out what the possibilities due to something suspect when I did an oil change or to check some fancy engine mods I had done myself. Being old :gerg I have always looked at the drained oil and run/felt the old oil between my fingers as engine condition "check".
OM

Lot to be said for "going by feel". My late father in law, was an aircraft mechanic in WW2. Part of his training was learning bolt torque by feel. They trained on bench boards with a torque wrench to develop the correct touch, and had to pass a rather extensive test to make rate. I wisecracked him one time and tested him, 60 years later and he was still within a couple of pounds of correct. He said, never knew when a torque wrench would break or not be available during a deployment and not having a wrench was no excuse for not getting planes in the air.

2017 GS-Multiple Cam Failures

Had the cam problem 2 times within 5600 miles.
3200 miles, then at 5500.
Traded for a 2019 1250GS. 14000 miles with no problem.

r1200gs cam at 3200 miles.JPG

Was the problem with two difference cams or did the replacement cam fail also? Any possible explanation from the dealer? I'd love to see someone do a Rockwell test on these cams.

Good point. Back in the day, when I didn’t really understand the cause and effect of hard facing, I learned dissimilar surface hardness lessons.
OM

Good point. Back in the day, when I didn’t really understand the cause and effect of hard facing, I learned dissimilar surface hardness lessons.
OM

Hardness testing on these cams is a curiosity more than anything, I doubt there's a QC problem with heat treatment or hard facing, but hopefully it's just that simple. If it's not a material quality issue, the problem gets complex very fast.

Back