Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do THESE cam lobes look OK?

Do THESE cam lobes look OK?

Imagine my disappointment to find this mess during the 24K service on my '18 RT. Everything looked fine at the 12K check. I've used only Castrol Power 1 4T 5W-40 since new. Clearances are within spec and have barely changed.

You may have seen an earlier post from me relating a similar problem an a new '18 RT which was discovered at 800 miles! After negotiation with the dealer and BMWNA, I received a new '18 RT. The original bike received new intake and exhaust cams and presumedly has found a new owner.

The exhaust cams appear OK...some fine scratches on the business end of the lobe, but no ridge that I could detect. As you can see, the intake cams are shot...far worse than the damage noted on the original bike.

It's going back to the dealer this coming week.

Wait. So are you saying you had one before, a different R12LC, and it had the same problem only at 800 miles? And they gave you a whole new motorcycle???

You must have mad negotiating skills (or you know where the dealers children go to school or have some other nefarious skill we shouldn't ask about).

Two identical failures happening to the same owner on two different motorcycles. I'd kill to see the Weibull for that.
    Last edited by pappy35; 12-22-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Putting the warranty issues aside. And, I would want it repaired/replaced, if possible.
    But, you are at 24K and the clearances are OK. While not pretty, I'm curious what they'll look like at 48K.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Ouch, that's crazy to have the same serious problem on 2 bikes.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by dlong View Post
    ....After negotiation with the dealer and BMWNA, I received a new '18 RT. The original bike received new intake and exhaust cams and presumedly has found a new owner....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Ouch, that's crazy to have the same serious problem on 2 bikes.

Now we know who the new owner of the old bike is!

I noticed from the VINs of the two bikes that they came off the line within about 400 units of each other. I'm hoping that the cams in each bike came from the same lot, likely with the same defective case hardening process. No way to know for sure. I've seen heresay reports of wethead owners with similar problems, but please chime in if you share my experience.

I dont know as of yet how my '18 will be, just purchased it last September and only have 2,500 miles on it. What was the manufacture date of the two units you've had go bad?
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Bike #1...1/18 bike #2...2/18

Bike #1...1/18 bike #2...2/18
    Well, now you’ve got me concerned. My GS has a production date of 3/18.

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

This has been going on for a lot of years.

I was asked to check the cam sufaces when I did all my cam checks and was how I became aware of it.

In 30 something bikes I have never seen a bad cam lobe.

I have seen many posts of this issue though. Nobody is safe on this issue at any mileage.

It is said to be bad heat treating and it can show at 1000 miles or 20,000 miles, that is the kicker. No way to tell how deep the surface treatment was and if it is good.

I guess replace the cams and do very close oil changes a time or two or three?

I have never seen pictures of chunks as they say the cam flakes so if there is any positive it is that. Pretty much sucks though and I pull my valve covers with every service so if I ever see the beginnings of this, BMW will no longer exist for me.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    This has been going on for a lot of years.

When we bought our bikes in 2016 the shop warned me about the problem and said to keep an eye on the cams at valve checks.
    They had replaced cams but did not say how many.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

My dealer has confirmed the worn cam lobe issue and ordered new cams and followers. I understand the service includes oil change and filter replacement even though I had done those services just prior to bring in the bike. Despite the large amount of material missing from the cam lobes, there was nothing on the drain plug. If the material was coming off in macroscopic chunks, it seems there should have been some material on the drain plug. I'm concerned for the long-term health of the motor but unsure what if anything to do. Any thoughts? (Aside from selling or trading it)

My dealer has confirmed the worn cam lobe issue and ordered new cams and followers. I understand the service includes oil change and filter replacement even though I had done those services just prior to bring in the bike. Despite the large amount of material missing from the cam lobes, there was nothing on the drain plug. If the material was coming off in macroscopic chunks, it seems there should have been some material on the drain plug. I'm concerned for the long-term health of the motor but unsure what if anything to do. Any thoughts? (Aside from selling or trading it)
    Fix it. Ride it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

There are so many variables to your question I don't think anyone can clearly and definitively answer your question. Depending upon the material of construction of the camshaft and size of particles shed, they may not stick to the drain plug. As for engine damage depending upon the shed particle size, they may be small enough to pass through engine oil clearance without affecting engine wear any worse than typical environmental conditions. A sampling of the engine oil may give you indication of wear.

It's a disconcerting issue for sure, and something that wrankles me as well, we've been making camshafts for years and you would think that by now the technology would be proven out. I guess my thoughts would be run the guts out of it every chance you get, try and not let it bother you and enjoy. If it helps I'll buy you a beer in MT next June.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    run the guts out of it every chance you get, try and not let it bother you and enjoy.
    Think I'll do what he said.