• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 K1200RS Poor mileage

paulie321

I’m a R guy but I got a deal on a 2000 K1200RS with 3,000 miles. Getting very poor gas mileage, 111 miles to a tank, ordered a O2 sensor. Any other suggestions? Canister removed. No gas smell.
Also the gas gauge remains at full at all times. I have changed the fuel filter. This is a pre fuel strip bike I believe. Part of a rich guys collection, hence the low mileage. Looks brand new.
Also did the TPS reset.

Brand new. I changed the usual stuff, oil etc. when I got it. Still had original tires on it, they looked good but came apart on I95 in Miami. I mean BIG chunks came off the tires. I’m hoping it’s the O2 sensor, never got 1 volt out of it. Best was .8 volts and that took a while of heating it.
Is there another temp sensor that controls mixture?

On earlier K's the coolant temp senser affected the fuel mixture. It ran rich when cold and leaned out as the coolant warmed up.

Now I think the line on the fuel filter has failed, there is plenty of gas in the tank when it seems dry. Anyone use the corrugated lines from boneyard? Or should I buy that $$$ u shaped bmw one?

Now I think the line on the fuel filter has failed, there is plenty of gas in the tank when it seems dry. Anyone use the corrugated lines from boneyard? Or should I buy that $$$ u shaped bmw one?

BeemerBoneyard ones were great on several K75's that I've replaced them in. Don't forget your MOA discount :)

On a side note, I also have had good luck with getting my injectors cleaned by Mr. Injector, this may be a good idea with this much of a fuel system degradation.

Solved

Not poor mileage, there was plenty of fuel still in tank. The u shaped fuel pump hose was sucking air. Bought the beemer boneyard fix, now picking up fuel where it should. Changed O2 sensor because I already ordered it and the old one is kind of flakey.

K bike coolant temperature sensor

On earlier K's the coolant temp senser affected the fuel mixture. It ran rich when cold and leaned out as the coolant warmed up.

are there other indications of an issue with the temp sensor? I have an 03 K1200GT and have noticed the mileage is not a good as it used to be. Part of the issue is colder weather but I've seen some issues with the coolant temperature that make me wonder. What would you expect to see if there was an issue?

TIA!

are there other indications of an issue with the temp sensor? I have an 03 K1200GT and have noticed the mileage is not a good as it used to be. Part of the issue is colder weather but I've seen some issues with the coolant temperature that make me wonder. What would you expect to see if there was an issue?

TIA!

The two brick-k bikes I’ve seen with bad coolant sensors both exhibited the same symptoms: start and run normally at first, then at some point down the road the bike shuts down just like the key had been turned off. Left to sit a few minutes at roadside the bikes would start and run normally again, then eventually shut down again, restart after a roadside rest, etc. etc. As the sensor condition worsened the distance that could be traveled between shutdowns decreased, in the one case down to about 5-6 miles. The bikes showed signs of running rich, possibly caused by the flawed sensor tricking the computer into thinking the bike was still cold and needed additional fuel.

IIRC there are two temp sensors on some k-bikes; one controls the cooling fans and the other speaks to the engine management system. On both the bikes mentioned earlier, replacing the sensor at top front of engine (a stinker to get at) completely resolved the issues.

HTH,
DeVern

Not poor mileage, there was plenty of fuel still in tank. The u shaped fuel pump hose was sucking air. Bought the beemer boneyard fix, now picking up fuel where it should. Changed O2 sensor because I already ordered it and the old one is kind of flakey.

Your original post did lead some in the wrong direction. Your wording was suggesting poor fuel mileage rather than poor tank range.
I was set to ask what your actual MPG is, until I read down and saw you correct it yourself.

Paulie,

Thanks for getting back with what you found out. That's how we all learn and it is good forum protocol (something we have been ocasionally had issues with).

In the future, please list the year and model of the bike IN THE TITLE of any thread you start in this section (I've added it for you on this thread). It helps all of us find stuff that pertains to us and helps you get more specific answers from people that have had your same problem. Thanks.

:dance:dance:dance

2000 k1200rs

Would it be wise to change the temp sensor on a low mileage (3500) bike? It is 20 years old and I have the panels off already.

Would it be wise to change the temp sensor on a low mileage (3500) bike? It is 20 years old and I have the panels off already.

Not in my book. A bike like that needs a basic service, tire and brake inspection, and then be ridden—frequently and enthusiastically. :)

Best,
DeVern

Back