• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Designworks Concept Camper Trailer

It’s a tent on a trailer. :scratch

The article states there are no plans to take it into production.

Best,
DeVern

A Google search does not show anything but the initial concept information. As reluctant as motorcycle manufacturers are to endorse trailers I would be willing to bet it will never happen.

Google "Time Out Campers" and see what kind of hits you get.

Here's our used 2014 'Deluxe' Queen size camper in southern VA.
Bought it from a club member in NVA whom we asked to see how it worked.
I think Deluxe implies it came equipped with plug-in Electric brakes.
I've had it up to ~85 mph on the Interstate (passing left-lane Campers)!
Handles very well - - we'll see how it behaves on The Haul Road... :dunno

Bought the 2014 K-GT in Dec 2017 to pull it to Alaska.
However, we instead ended up moving to Alabama in 2018; thusly:
We're headed to Canada & Alaska next summer - - check it out: "D2D MC Not a Rally."
https://dawsoncity.ca/event/d2d-motorcycle-ride-not-a-rally/

Trailer explodes sideways over the axle; vestibule 1st, then sleeping area.

Camper-VA.jpeg

CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Let me preface this post saying I don't camp off my bike.
After riding all day I want a real bed, A/C and a remote.
I am usually really beat.
You can buy a lot of motel rooms for the price of those campers!

Google "Time Out Campers" and see what kind of hits you get.

Here's our used 2014 'Deluxe' Queen size camper in southern VA.
Bought it from a club member in NVA whom we asked to see how it worked.
I think Deluxe implies it came equipped with plug-in Electric brakes.
I've had it up to ~85 mph on the Interstate (passing left-lane Campers)!
Handles very well - - we'll see how it behaves on The Haul Road... :dunno

Bought the 2014 K-GT in Dec 2017 to pull it to Alaska.
However, we instead ended up moving to Alabama in 2018; thusly:
We're headed to Canada & Alaska next summer - - check it out: "D2D MC Not a Rally."
https://dawsoncity.ca/event/d2d-motorcycle-ride-not-a-rally/

Trailer explodes sideways over the axle; vestibule 1st, then sleeping area.

View attachment 76658

CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Not an expert (only been up to Prudoe once) but I would think about leaving the trailer in Fairbanks with a club member and riding up, staying at least a day, and riding back. They have great accommodations (spartan but excellent) in Prudoe that serve great food. Prime rib and strawberry short cake on the last night there. If for no other reason the Haul Road left my bike caked with calcium chloride that did not clean up easily. There was a quarter car wash as you get back to Fairbanks but I was ill equipped to get that stuff off. Next time (maybe 2020) I am going to spray everything with some kind of protectorate before the Haul Road and take some S100 for the clean up. I would imagine the clean up portion of taking the trailer up and back will be significant. I thought the frost heave snakes that were in the Yukon were problematic for trailers with small wheels moving at speed. People pulling boats needed to slow down so they were not beating up their equipment. Good luck with your trip, should be one heck of a story.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Let me preface this post saying I don't camp off my bike.
After riding all day I want a real bed, A/C and a remote.
I am usually really beat.
You can buy a lot of motel rooms for the price of those campers!

Unfortunately, the most spectacular natural places to visit generally don’t have hotels/motels. A few of the National Parks have lodges, but for the most part camping is the only option. So you miss spending time in some of the best areas if you have to leave to find a hotel.

Camping’s not for everyone, but for those who enjoy it it affords access to beautiful places that can’t be experienced in the same way from a hotel.

Not an expert (only been up to Prudoe once) but I would think about leaving the trailer in Fairbanks with a club member and riding up, staying at least a day, and riding back. They have great accommodations (spartan but excellent) in Prudoe that serve great food. Prime rib and strawberry short cake on the last night there. If for no other reason the Haul Road left my bike caked with calcium chloride that did not clean up easily. There was a quarter car wash as you get back to Fairbanks but I was ill equipped to get that stuff off. Next time (maybe 2020) I am going to spray everything with some kind of protectorate before the Haul Road and take some S100 for the clean up. I would imagine the clean up portion of taking the trailer up and back will be significant. I thought the frost heave snakes that were in the Yukon were problematic for trailers with small wheels moving at speed. People pulling boats needed to slow down so they were not beating up their equipment. Good luck with your trip, should be one heck of a story.

All very reasonable travel tips, Wayne.
We'll likely follow them closely, but I/we only intend to only do ~115 miles north on the Dalton Hwy, get the obligatory photos at the Arctic Circle sign, and return to the Hotspot Cafe for food & fuel [at Yukon Crossing]. We've got an old Milepost book and a new AK Butler map (from Lebanon-TN), so we're starting to get serious about this adventure. Both being retired military, we're planning to camp and leave the camper at Eileson AFB or Ft Wainwright. Could even stay in a VOQ if there's actually "Space Available." We can then take our time, pick a likely mostly-dry day, keep the rubber side down, and fully utilize the many extra hours of sunlight (& wash gear when finito). Thus we're gonna tour lots of National Parks for their Iron Butt Gold Certificate, stay on military posts where possible, and have one Memorable 2020 on the road!

Plan to start our quest for 2020 parks' stamps NLT the MOA Getaway to Orange Beach for Valentine's Day - conveniently next door to the "Gulf Islands National Seashore in FL." Need a single stamp from Florida, fur sure...

Gonna have some fun along the way, egh? Take off, ya hoser!

Ciao!
HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

Just practicing my Bob & Doug McKenzie lingo, don't cha know...

You should go up to Tuk and dip your toes into the Arctic Ocean. I tried 2 summers ago but I had big bike problems after 2 days on the road so packed it in in Dawson. Damn!

You should go up to Tuk and dip your toes into the Arctic Ocean. I tried 2 summers ago but I had big bike problems after 2 days on the road so packed it in in Dawson. Damn!

I was there in early June 2018 with the same idea.... but the Beaufort Sea was still frozen... no toe-dipping possible! :banghead

Best,
DeVern

Back