• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

YouTube R1200RTW TPMS Programing with the GS-911

Boxflyer

With a previous post showing additional rims for use on my 2016 R1200RTW, I thought I'd follow up with how to cope with so many TPMS units.

Using a GS-911 you can interrogate multiple TPMS sending units to be used with 2014-2020 BMW R1200/1250RT motorcycles.
This process is needed if you plan to use more than 2 front and 2 rear rims with unique TPMS ID's.

Either method, Wake-Up Tool capture of TPMS ID's, or Manual ID entries, will allow your bike to have many different rims in use with correct dash display or tire pressures.

https://youtu.be/4HAnT58b2DY

R1200RTW%20TPMS%20Programing%20with%20the%20GS-911-M.jpg

I just took it to my local NTB tire store and he held a tablet to the front and rear and I took a picture of the ID with my phone.

Then went home and entered them in with a GS-911.

I was always told that expelling air would wake them but that has never worked for me. If they are not awake they have no idea air is running through them.

Correct, I would think that most places that do lots of service on modern tires would be able to do a similar thing.

The bike will be able to log the first 2 TPMS front or rear sending units ID's it sees by just riding the bike, it's after that where the issues comes in.

Still, taking it to a NTB or similar to trigger the sensor ID, then putting those numbers in the GS-911 works fine if you don't have the $10 tool.

With a previous post showing additional rims for use on my 2016 R1200RTW, I thought I'd follow up with how to cope with so many TPMS units.

I watched your videos on rims and TPMS programming. They are excellent help for those of us who want to save some money. First I purchased a matched pair of used rims on eBay that were salvaged from a wrecked BMW R1200RS, and used your video to guide me swapping out the bearings for the correct size for our R1200RTW moto. My only problem was getting the first bearing out using the split collet tool, but it turns out that I just needed to be less tentative with the hammer while setting the collet.

I was lucky that my set of wheels shipped with TPMS' already mounted. However, when I bought the wheels, I wasn't sure if the TPMS sensors on the salvaged rims would be operational, so I bought 2 more TPMS sensors on Amazon from this retailer in China for $20 each: TPMS

I received the sensors in about 4 weeks. Next, I used the technique shown in your video with a GS911 and a wake-up tool. I was able to record the TPMS ID numbers for my original wheels, and each of my other 4 (2 on the new rims, and 2 purchased from China).

I have two takeaways for other readers: first, these instructional videos from Boxflyer are all you need to do this job yourself. And second, at this writing, the link for the TPMS sensors from China is trustworthy, and offers a great value.

Cap

Tire sensor info

Thanks once again for this video BoxFlyer. Very much appreciated!

I know I can purchase the Wake up tool from Amazon - but - can you provide the link or relevant info for purchasing the cheap Chinese tire sensors that you use.

Thanks, Ron

Old thread but worthy of an update.

I purchased these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000235718354.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7dbb4c4dIORUQp months ago.

Finally got around to changing tires and TPMS sensors today.

The sensors worked fine, the only difference between the OEM and these was that OEM required a 12mm wrench to remove, these used an 11mm wrench. These sensors come with the ID# on the plastic envelope they are shipped in. I entered the ID using my Motoscan Tool and woke them up using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KL82JP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 tool.

Tire pressures immediately read out on my dash.

Two new sensors for less than $40 all in.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
I purchased these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...7dbb4c4dIORUQp months ago.

Cap wrote:
Thanks. I have always been wary of Aliexpress, and it is nice to hear that it worked out for you.

The site says they "can not ship to United States" I'd be careful
View attachment 81080

Didn't see that yesterday, I just copied the link from my "Recent Purchases" list.

Obviously, mine arrived, it took awhile - slow boat from China!

There are others selling the same item. Use the BMW part# to search for the right sensor for your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
I purchased these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...7dbb4c4dIORUQp months ago.

Cap wrote:
Thanks. I have always been wary of Aliexpress, and it is nice to hear that it worked out for you.

The site says they "can not ship to United States" I'd be careful

Also note that the items pictured are not compatible with wheels where the stem is not integrated into the TPsensor - like the R/RS wheels (and I suspect RT wheels).

Back