Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Pavement paranoia!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Kudos to Snell and UNECE. I doubt that much of anybody related to the DOT standard does much coordination with anybody at all. I can't say the DOT standard is meaningless. There are lots of helmets (maybe I should say beanie lids) out there that won't meet it: thus the need for fake DOT stickers at your favorite Sturgis vendor.

I look for the ECE approval. I think it is the most meaningful. YMMV
    Over in the medical R&D world, there's been several research papers on MC injuries and helmets around the world. On paper from California, broke the injuries down by helmet type. The over 50 crowd in their beanie lids (Pappys seem to prefer beanies) were well represented in the statistics. Apparently, old and stupid is a lot more common than old and wise.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Over in the medical R&D world, there's been several research papers on MC injuries and helmets around the world. On paper from California, broke the injuries down by helmet type. The over 50 crowd in their beanie lids (Pappys seem to prefer beanies) were well represented in the statistics. Apparently, old and stupid is a lot more common than old and wise.
    Among those who crash at least.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    Helmet Safety

Snell Foundaion Says New FIM Helment Standards Increase Risk of Head Injuries

A letter from Dr. Daniel J. Thomas, M.D., M.P.H., President, Snell Foundation Board of Directors, to FIM President Jorge Viegas, as posted on www.smf.org.
    https://www.smf.org/docs/media/Roadr...adInjuries.pdf
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    Riding Technique

To be fair, that was the only group of BMWs we saw that week that were riding poorly.

We drove the van across the “Dragon” several times. And came across crashes every time. All but one involved Harleys, usually riding in large groups.

There were many more instances of Harleys going wide in the curves.

The groups were usually from Northeastern states and had ridden down to experience the “Dragon”.

The one non-Harley crash involved a large pickup truck going wide in a left-hander and hitting a tree.

None of the crashes required ambulances while we were there.

Not criticizing Harley riders, they just happen to be most of the bikes there.
    Yes, market share would result in HD's being the most common vehicle in these observations. But, a long wheel base and minimal ground clearance aren't good choices for riding tight radius turns. Group riding typically reduces reaction times and adds multiple risk factors (all the members of the group) which the rider must continually assess. Relative to demographics, the cruiser market customer is a post middle age group that can be training adverse....."front brakes are dangerous" and "Countersteering is BS" are typical statements. Accordingly, these riders are often older (slower reactions), riding in groups (less reaction time) and unaware of riding techniques that reduce braking distance and improve avoidance maneuvers.

At least, they weren't riding single wheel forward trikes.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    More lighting helps. IMO, louder horns are worthless in most situations, more so on a head on. The oncoming driver, if he doesn't see your lights won't hear your horn either. Horns are fine for side by side traffic and someone tries to change lanes into you, but even then I question them. In 50 years of ridding I can remember using my horn a few times. Best defense is to be aware of your surroundings, watch traffic, anticipate other drivers and have a plan to get out of a bad situation.
    I agree, my last bike was accessorized with a louder horn that did me no more good than the OEM horn. Not because I wrecked even though I used it, but because I rarely use the horn in the first place - mostly just to tell people I'm canceling my turn signal . I do have my ezCAN set up to flash the driving lights when I use the horn so if I do remember to use it the blinky lights will probably get more attention than the sound.

Loud lights save lives.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    I agree, my last bike was accessorized with a louder horn that did me no more good than the OEM horn. Not because I wrecked even though I used it, but because I rarely use the horn in the first place - mostly just to tell people I'm canceling my turn signal . I do have my ezCAN set up to flash the driving lights when I use the horn so if I do remember to use it the blinky lights will probably get more attention than the sound.

Loud lights save lives.
    I like it. My new go to Mantra.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President