Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pavement paranoia!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Say what? Whose sign language is this? Who teaches this? How many soccer moms, teenagers, or truck drivers know this? How did they learn it?

When riding with my wife Voni I have sometimes on occasion pounded lightly on the side of my helmet to indicate what we just saw somebody do was a dunderhead move. She knows what I mean but I never dreamed somebody would think I was apologizing. Wow!

Geez, Paul.............According to Leif's comment on this thread..........."Actually the hand signs are part of the curriculum for both motorcycle and car driver licenses:-)"
    https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundatio...signals-chart/

As you and Mrs. Glaves get more experienced at motorcycling, I'm sure you'll pick these things up.......
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Post Shoei's Answer to MIPS

SHOEI’S M.E.D.S. SYSTEM

M.E.D.S. Shoei’s Motion Energy Distribution System (M.E.D.S.) is a proprietary exclusive in the new VFX-EVO helmet. This new helmet offers a dual-layer, multi-density EPS liner with the lightweight, impact-absorbing and comfortable characteristics of Shoei’s traditional EPS helmet integrated with M.E.D.S. to reduce rotational acceleration energy to the head in an accident. The idea of M.E.D.S. is similar to the popular MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System), which you see in helmets from Fly Racing and Troy Lee Designs. Both systems’ primary objective is to reduce rotational motion.
    https://motocrossactionmag.com/ten-things-9/

TEN-THINGS-SHOEI-VFX-EVO-MEDS-01.jpg

Post MIPS Helmet Technology Explained

Although this video is for bicycle helmets, the technology is the same.

Post Differences in Carbon Fiber & Fiberglass Helmets

Differences in Carbon Fiber & Fiberglass Helmets

Fiberglass helmets are strong, and have been proven as effective motorcycle helmets over many years of use. However, fiberglass is brittle compared to carbon fiber, and tends to dissipate impact energy by shattering. For most impacts, this is not a problem; the helmet absorbs the impact and rider is OK. But when a rider suffers two impacts in a crash, for instance, falling off the bike then sliding into an obstacle, The helmet could be compromised by the first impact, allowing the second to harm the rider. Carbon fiber helmets have significantly more flex and "give" in the outer shell, offering protection from accidents of this type.
    Full article about comparison here: https://itstillruns.com/differences-...s-8689700.html

Reading this and other information is suggested before purchasing your next helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Geez, Paul.............According to Leif's comment on this thread..........."Actually the hand signs are part of the curriculum for both motorcycle and car driver licenses:-)"
    https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundatio...signals-chart/

As you and Mrs. Glaves get more experienced at motorcycling, I'm sure you'll pick these things up.......
    A few of those make sense for group rides, I suppose. I don't do group rides. As for the apology signal I didn't see it listed or illustrated.

As for license curriculum, these signals are not taught in Texas, Kansas, Iowa, for sure. I call balderdash on that one, but it is, after all, the internet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    What about when the ADV Lady gives you a sign?

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...o-see-me-today

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    There is only one universally understood hand signal (excluding North Koreans) and in fact it only takes one finger to make this gesture.
    As always...………..They're Big, You are small.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    A few of those make sense for group rides, I suppose. I don't do group rides. As for the apology signal I didn't see it listed or illustrated.

As for license curriculum, these signals are not taught in Texas, Kansas, Iowa, for sure. I call balderdash on that one, but it is, after all, the internet.
    They're not in the PA curriculum, either.

Moto Touring Hazards

Moto Touring Hazards

Infected individuals should self quarantine.

The typical surgical mask will not prevent inhalation of airborne viruses. But they can be used by infected people to prevent spreading respiratory viruses. They are designed to catch particles leaving the wearer's nose and mouth.

Also, when a mask is worn it acts as a reminder not to touch the mouth and nose. A major cause of spreading infection.

The 3M N95 dust mask is excellent for protection against exposure to airborne flu viruses and coronaviruses.

However, these should be reserved for health care personnel.

If you have some of these that are unused, please forward them to your local healthcare facility.

3M makes other types of dust masks that are probably effective and can also be used by health care personnel for protection.

Again, if you have unused masks of this type, forward them to healthcare facilities for use by healthcare personnel.

An example of a non-N95 3M dust mask.

Attachment 77360
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wildbears; 03-18-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Updated information.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    It may be that all crashes and near crashes provide a chance to learn how to ride more safely.

DISCLAIMER: The "Pavement Paranoia" thread is dedicated to four of my friends who died in separate, preventable, motorcycle accidents.

The thread is meant to encourage the use of ATGAT and safe riding practices.

Most of the information is old hat while some is new and novel.

Discussion is welcome and encouraged.

There are multiple sub-threads. These should be reviewed in their entirety in order to avoid taking a single post out of context.

Please only use information that makes sense to you and for your riding style.
    Wow, this thread started out with good info, but it seems to have ventured a little off-topic.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    While I assume this was posted with good intent, the veracity of the information is difficult to judge since you do not cite your sources or personal qualifications for offering the information. Since there is already misinformation floating around concerning the coronavirus, one should be skeptical of the public health advice offered on a motorcycle forum. I do not think this is helpful.

Backing up Kevin's comment. Read to the bottom of the page........

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...r-use-faq.html

These are good people doing the best they can.

Post US Motorcycle Market "Woes"

http://www.moto-emag.com/woes-series.htm

MOTO eMAG's Game-Changing US Motorcycle Market "Woes" Series

The US motorcycle market is very different from all other markets in the world. In India for example they sell 17M bikes a year. It's no wonder European brands are flocking there. We are a country of 320M and last year we purchased 17M new cars, SUVs and pickups. However, in the same year we bought only 470K motorcycles, including scooters and three-wheel vehicles (down from over a million units in '07). The US moto market has contracted or shrunk by about 60% in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    http://www.moto-emag.com/woes-series.htm

MOTO eMAG's Game-Changing US Motorcycle Market "Woes" Series
    If the US MC industry is in the toilet, it's the same toilet it was in until 1996. And, 1996 was an extremely good year for the economy.

In other words, we've passed a bubble and returned to a previous normal, in my opinion

Sales 1990 -2016.png

Question Lane Changes

Does changing lanes on a highway really increase the chance of an accident?

Post Black Swan Events

Black Swan Events

This is an event that is rare, but when it does happen there are significant consequences.
    Last edited by wildbears; 03-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.