• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pavement paranoia!

Nice reminder video about our inherent invisibility while riding. Also may help to keep emotions in check by not assuming cagers are not looking, checking, and observing or are purposefully trying to hit us. No use getting upset at others on the road when we are arguing against science in many instances - which is pointless.

I remember in an old article in perhaps Cycle World, New York had proposed motorcyclists have a revolving light on the top of their helmets.
OM

Strange to say that it is currently illegal in New York for motorcyclists to add stuff to the exterior of their helmets.

This includes items like Go-Pro's.

Maybe not a primary offence, but if you get pulled over for something else, such as a motorcycle check point, you can get cited.

:eek

I wonder if that would include 3m reflective tape being added for visibility? "To add stuff" should be well defined, not that general statement.

I wonder if that would include 3m reflective tape being added for visibility? "To add stuff" should be well defined, not that general statement.

I doubt the law says you can't "add stuff." More likely the language is similar to can't "mount a device" or some such.

I doubt the law says you can't "add stuff." More likely the language is similar to can't "mount a device" or some such.

Reflectors and stickers are ok, but noting that sticks out that could effect how the helmet works in a crash. Camera mounts, spikes, mohawks and similar things.

Wind buffeting and the associated noise contributes to fatigue on long trips (or short ones if you find it annoying).

And fatigue is an enemy of staying safe on the pavement.

If your bike "torments" you this way, maybe a different wind screen and/or wind screen mounting system would help.

The causes of buffeting include screen attitude and negative trailing pressure.

Ear plugs with a high NRR is a direct approach to limiting noise fatigue.

Ear plugs with a high NRR is a direct approach to limiting noise fatigue.

Quiet mufflers stop the noise at the source. I have had riders with loud exhaust join us while riding, or I have come up on such a rider. I simply will not follow or ride along with a loud bike and will either pass the bike or stop myself until the nuisance is gone. I wear ear plugs but certainly don't rely on them to suppress some rude jerk's bleating exhaust.

Quiet mufflers stop the noise at the source. I have had riders with loud exhaust join us while riding, or I have come up on such a rider. I simply will not follow or ride along with a loud bike and will either pass the bike or stop myself until the nuisance is gone. I wear ear plugs but certainly don't rely on them to suppress some rude jerk's bleating exhaust.

Paul, there's no way I will disagree with you on the loud mufflers. Boorish behavior is just that.

However, in this day of 80MPH highway speeds, it's critical we get all riders to wear hearing protection. At those speeds, the wind noise will exceed the worst straight pipe.

Paul, there's no way I will disagree with you on the loud mufflers. Boorish behavior is just that.

However, in this day of 80MPH highway speeds, it's critical we get all riders to wear hearing protection. At those speeds, the wind noise will exceed the worst straight pipe.

I agree 100% and did not intend to imply folks should not wear ear plugs. They should now, or hearing aids later. But even though I do wear ear plugs all the time, I am still greatly annoyed by loud pipes and will not ride with or near anybody with a bike so equipped.

I find that ear plugs make wind buffeting seem less obnoxious. For bikes that handlebar fairings will fit on, I like National Cycle Deflector fairings. The are fairly small but the seem to be mostly effective at stopping wind and vehicle turbulence without introducing any on their own. They are also very reasonably priced, something like $130.

I find that ear plugs make wind buffeting seem less obnoxious. For bikes that handlebar fairings will fit on, I like National Cycle Deflector fairings. The are fairly small but the seem to be mostly effective at stopping wind and vehicle turbulence without introducing any on their own. They are also very reasonably priced, something like $130.

If someone could quantify the difference between noise and buffeting that would be helpful. I fear we're talking around individual perceptions of high and low frequency noise.

Good question!

Noise is heard and buffeting is felt.

:thumb

It's possible that you're talking about two perceptions of the same phenomenon. Noise can be quantified by a sound level measurement and we have established exposure levels relative to hearing loss. I'm not aware of allowable exposure levels for buffeting or the standard measurement methods.

In summary, it's best to target the environmental factors with established thresholds and prior research on measurement methods. Placing all issues on the plate of the riding public will soon lead to a myriad of subjective discussions that will detract from the critical message you want to relay.

Back in the early 2,000's, I test road a Honda Gold Wing.

Then, and maybe still, the bikes were designed for the usual Gold Wing rider.

The latter usually don't wear helmets and, if so, not full face.

I have always worn full face and did so on the test ride.

At speed, the aerodynamics of the bike were such that it seemed as though someone was slapping the back of the helmet (wind-slap is another term for buffeting) with a rapid and regular rhythm.

While an unusual form of buffeting, it demonstrates the essence.

And is essentially absent if not wearing a full face helmet.

Another example...

Last year we test rode the latest Gold Wind, two-up.

With this iteration the "wind-slap" occurs along both the captain's and pillion's sides.

Wind flow around the helmets is smooth and without buffeting (wind-slap).

:thumb

More to follow later on wind-noise, wind-buffeting, causes, and solutions.

If you're going to discuss the topic of wind noise and motorcycle riders, I suggest you start your discussion with a review of the work by Dr. John Kennedy of Trinity College Dublin. His experiments on correlating sound pressure measurements around the helmet with at-ear measurements, provides a strong indication that exterior turbulence isn't a dominant factor in the at-ear noise levels. His measurements indicate the noise source is the flow passing underneath the chin of the helmet.

Back