• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pavement paranoia!

Kudos to Snell and UNECE. I doubt that much of anybody related to the DOT standard does much coordination with anybody at all. I can't say the DOT standard is meaningless. There are lots of helmets (maybe I should say beanie lids) out there that won't meet it: thus the need for fake DOT stickers at your favorite Sturgis vendor.

I look for the ECE approval. I think it is the most meaningful. YMMV

Over in the medical R&D world, there's been several research papers on MC injuries and helmets around the world. On paper from California, broke the injuries down by helmet type. The over 50 crowd in their beanie lids (Pappys seem to prefer beanies) were well represented in the statistics. Apparently, old and stupid is a lot more common than old and wise.

Over in the medical R&D world, there's been several research papers on MC injuries and helmets around the world. On paper from California, broke the injuries down by helmet type. The over 50 crowd in their beanie lids (Pappys seem to prefer beanies) were well represented in the statistics. Apparently, old and stupid is a lot more common than old and wise.

Among those who crash at least.

Riding Technique

To be fair, that was the only group of BMWs we saw that week that were riding poorly.

We drove the van across the “Dragon” several times. And came across crashes every time. All but one involved Harleys, usually riding in large groups.

There were many more instances of Harleys going wide in the curves.

The groups were usually from Northeastern states and had ridden down to experience the “Dragon”.

The one non-Harley crash involved a large pickup truck going wide in a left-hander and hitting a tree.

None of the crashes required ambulances while we were there.

Not criticizing Harley riders, they just happen to be most of the bikes there.

Yes, market share would result in HD's being the most common vehicle in these observations. But, a long wheel base and minimal ground clearance aren't good choices for riding tight radius turns. Group riding typically reduces reaction times and adds multiple risk factors (all the members of the group) which the rider must continually assess. Relative to demographics, the cruiser market customer is a post middle age group that can be training adverse....."front brakes are dangerous" and "Countersteering is BS" are typical statements. Accordingly, these riders are often older (slower reactions), riding in groups (less reaction time) and unaware of riding techniques that reduce braking distance and improve avoidance maneuvers.

At least, they weren't riding single wheel forward trikes.

More lighting helps. IMO, louder horns are worthless in most situations, more so on a head on. The oncoming driver, if he doesn't see your lights won't hear your horn either. Horns are fine for side by side traffic and someone tries to change lanes into you, but even then I question them. In 50 years of ridding I can remember using my horn a few times. Best defense is to be aware of your surroundings, watch traffic, anticipate other drivers and have a plan to get out of a bad situation.

I agree, my last bike was accessorized with a louder horn that did me no more good than the OEM horn. Not because I wrecked even though I used it, but because I rarely use the horn in the first place - mostly just to tell people I'm canceling my turn signal :). I do have my ezCAN set up to flash the driving lights when I use the horn so if I do remember to use it the blinky lights will probably get more attention than the sound.

Loud lights save lives.

I agree, my last bike was accessorized with a louder horn that did me no more good than the OEM horn. Not because I wrecked even though I used it, but because I rarely use the horn in the first place - mostly just to tell people I'm canceling my turn signal :). I do have my ezCAN set up to flash the driving lights when I use the horn so if I do remember to use it the blinky lights will probably get more attention than the sound.

Loud lights save lives.

I like it. My new go to Mantra.

My area had a number of bad accidents with cars making left turns in front of motorcycles. My response was to upgrade my bikes with conspicuity lights and louder horns. My R1200R has both Skene Photon Blasters and Clearwater LED spotlights. I've seen my bike coming towards me when mechanics were riding after servicing. It's more than a bit conspicuous.

I'd add a laser cannon and a siren if I could...

+1 for the Skenes, have'm front and back. The newer ones have an available "Alert" function: a quick double tap of the brakes (not to slow, but just to activate the switch) and the Photon Blasters go into a VERY noticeable strobe effect for a few seconds. Never fails to impress when I think to use it.

Just jumped in and I have NO IDEA what this thread is about...Be that as it may, RE: alcohol related injuries In many states the legal limit has been so ridiculously lowered that it's stupid low- I say this as a teetotaler non-drinker- well aware of the havoc alcohol can cause.So to call an incident occurring where anyone is BELOW the legal limit an "alcohol related incident" is as valid as calling it a coffee related incident or a footwear wearing incident or a powerbar related incident- gimme a break.
Arguably, alcohol at these levels is a stimulant resulting in increased awareness. (I did say "arguably"!)

Did not see anyone respond to this so I will. Any amount of alcohol affects judgement, its a chemical reality. For me, it has no place around the safe operation of a motorcycle.

Regardless of how YOU feel about the law and statistics, the reality is that if you are injured in a multi vehicle accident while riding a MC at .02% BAC (under the legal limit) you will have two serious issues:

1) Even if its not your "fault", your position in civil litigation will be less impactful by the fact you were under the influence.

2) You will have to look into the eyes of your family and try to explain how there was no way the outcome of how you came to be riding in the first place as well as being in an accident had anything to do with the pint of 7% IPA you had to have with lunch.

Back