Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Pavement paranoia!

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    Helmet Safety

My current helmet is a Shoei RF1200.

This is my fourth iteration of this model and they keep getting better.

It will be interesting to see how it fares with the new European testing standards.

However, if satisfactory for rotational injury protection and as I just purchased it, a safer helmet may have to wait awhile.

I also wonder if Shoei and Arai will introduce new models at the last minute to submit for the new testing standards?
    If you read the documents on the Snell Foundation website; specifically, the discussion about M2020D and M2020R test certifications you might find a clue.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Post Moto Touring Hazards

Moto Touring Hazards

The reported COVID-19 incidence in US as of late last week was 1 diagnosed case per 22,961 people.

Question Hand Signals

Hand Signals

This Fall while driving in the Deal’s Gap area there was a close call involving 3 BMW GSs.

This happened on 28 coming back from Fontana Lake.

We were on a very twisty section of road with no pull offs.

First bike successfully passes on a blind curve but could have been taken out by oncoming traffic.

He's up ahead approaching another left hand blind turn and sticks his arm straight out to indicate a car is coming around the curve.

The second rider takes this as an all clear signal and starts to pass.

We quickly move towards the shoulder as it's clear if we don't the 2nd rider will be taken out in a head on.

There's no berm to move onto.

So he's right next to us, sharing the lane with our van at 50 mph, as the oncoming car passes.

It was that close!
    Last edited by wildbears; 03-22-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Question Helmet Safety

Helmet Safety

Does Snell testing data reflect rotational forces likely in a crash?

Or are the Snell testing parameters insufficient?

Some feel the jury is still out on this.
    Last edited by wildbears; 03-22-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Some still think the earth is flat.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Some still think the earth is flat.
    Ya know, you can stand in front of the library and point inside when someone asks a question. If they refuse to enter the library and research the topic, that's their problem. But, when they continue asking the same question at each street corner, it isn't a sign of stability or knowledge..............
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Hand Signals

This Fall while driving in the Dealís Gap area there was a close call involving 3 BMW GSs.

This happened on 28 coming back from Fontana Lake.

We were on a very twisty section of road with no pull offs.

First bike successfully passes on a blind curve but could have been taken out by oncoming traffic.

He's up ahead approaching another left hand blind turn and sticks his arm straight out to indicate a car is coming around the curve.

The second rider takes this as an all clear signal and starts to pass.

We quickly move towards the shoulder as it's clear if we don't the 2nd rider will be taken out in a head on.

There's no berm to move onto.

So he's right next to us, sharing the lane with our van at 50 mph, as the oncoming car passes.

It was that close!
    Idiots and if members MOA idiots. Been on those roads enough times to know to not even think about a pass on a very slow posted road due to LEO presence and especially in a blind curve.

As far as signals...also a fail as the extended arm horizontally in my world means clear. Unless I know the habits and skills of person behind me, I rarely make that call for them as I sure would feel pretty bad if bad things happened.
    Glad it didnít end badly.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Helmet Safety

Does Snell testing data reflect rotational forces likely in a crash?

Or are the Snell testing parameters insufficient?

We buy helmets from some of the bigger names and donít spend a lot of time,none really, on reading test data. Maybe because we can ride yearlong and donít have down time and maybe we donít worry about it.

Testing good but so many variables out in the real world that can affect the static results of a lab.YRMV
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    We buy helmets from some of the bigger names and donít spend a lot of time,none really, on reading test data. Maybe because we can ride yearlong and donít have down time and maybe we donít worry about it.

Testing good but so many variables out in the real world that can affect the static results of a lab.YRMV
    The Snell Foundation website has a good deal of discussion on the new M2020R and M2020D test procedures and the topic of rotational (torsional) load tests. They also communicate with the UNECE. While the individual organizations have their own protocols, they appear to work in a collaborative manner.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    The Snell Foundation website has a good deal of discussion on the new M2020R and M2020D test procedures and the topic of rotational (torsional) load tests. They also communicate with the UNECE. While the individual organizations have their own protocols, they appear to work in a collaborative manner.
    Kudos to Snell and UNECE. I doubt that much of anybody related to the DOT standard does much coordination with anybody at all. I can't say the DOT standard is meaningless. There are lots of helmets (maybe I should say beanie lids) out there that won't meet it: thus the need for fake DOT stickers at your favorite Sturgis vendor.

I look for the ECE approval. I think it is the most meaningful. YMMV
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Kudos to Snell and UNECE. I doubt that much of anybody related to the DOT standard does much coordination with anybody at all. I can't say the DOT standard is meaningless. There are lots of helmets (maybe I should say beanie lids) out there that won't meet it: thus the need for fake DOT stickers at your favorite Sturgis vendor.

I look for the ECE approval. I think it is the most meaningful. YMMV
    Over in the medical R&D world, there's been several research papers on MC injuries and helmets around the world. On paper from California, broke the injuries down by helmet type. The over 50 crowd in their beanie lids (Pappys seem to prefer beanies) were well represented in the statistics. Apparently, old and stupid is a lot more common than old and wise.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Over in the medical R&D world, there's been several research papers on MC injuries and helmets around the world. On paper from California, broke the injuries down by helmet type. The over 50 crowd in their beanie lids (Pappys seem to prefer beanies) were well represented in the statistics. Apparently, old and stupid is a lot more common than old and wise.
    Among those who crash at least.

Post Riding Technique

Riding Technique

Riding On A Motorcycle With Your Dog

Can you do it safely?

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bik...with-your-dog/

Post Helmet Safety

Helmet Safety

Snell Foundaion Says New FIM Helment Standards Increase Risk of Head Injuries

A letter from Dr. Daniel J. Thomas, M.D., M.P.H., President, Snell Foundation Board of Directors, to FIM President Jorge Viegas, as posted on www.smf.org.

This letter is written with regard to the FIM Racing Homologations Programs for helmets used in FIM events. We are grateful that Snell Certification is accepted as one of the several alternative prerequisite requirements for the helmet models submitted for FIM homologation. Even so, the FRHPhe#01 performance and test standard criteria combine to block most if not all current Snell M2015 certified helmets from the FIM program. Meeting both the Snell M2015 and the FRHPhe#01 impact requirements would necessitate substantially larger, heavier helmets but Snell M2015 already calls for as much helmet as riders might reasonably be expected to wear. The industry can reasonably meet either standard but not both. We are working to resolve this problem with FRHPhe#01 but if FRHPhe#02 is put into effect, there may be no good solution.
    Last edited by wildbears; 03-27-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: reformatting

Helmet Safety

Snell Foundaion Says New FIM Helment Standards Increase Risk of Head Injuries

A letter from Dr. Daniel J. Thomas, M.D., M.P.H., President, Snell Foundation Board of Directors, to FIM President Jorge Viegas, as posted on www.smf.org.
    https://www.smf.org/docs/media/Roadr...adInjuries.pdf