Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pavement paranoia!

Post Motorcycles and Blind Spots...

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of the "cruiser types" pictured in this article do not have a freaking clue about this!
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Blow horn after avoiding an accident. On second thought, don't blow it period. May offend someone. Wonder how long it takes to think, "Horn, need to blow the horn!"
    The position of the ST horn button pretty much guarantees that I don't offend anyone. I can never find it in a hurry. It is about as convenient as the turn signal cancellation button

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    More lighting helps. IMO, louder horns are worthless in most situations, more so on a head on. The oncoming driver, if he doesn't see your lights won't hear your horn either. Horns are fine for side by side traffic and someone tries to change lanes into you, but even then I question them. In 50 years of ridding I can remember using my horn a few times. Best defense is to be aware of your surroundings, watch traffic, anticipate other drivers and have a plan to get out of a bad situation.
    When I can, i fit my bikes with a pair of Fiamm horns. I know they work because drivers sometimes give me the finger. I'd really like a Bluetooth equipped helmet with a loudspeaker on the bike. Sometimes a horn doesn't really express how I feel about someones driving skills. Also, I know I can always scream obscenities while executing an emergency maneuver but I can't always find where BMW has hidden the damned horn button.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Question One of the easiest safety improvement techniques...

When changing lanes, checking your mirrors and blind spots takes attention away from the vehicles and road ahead.

Will a road hazard suddenly appear from under the vehicle ahead while you are looking elsewhere?
    Last edited by wildbears; 02-18-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Post Misleading signals....

The difference between a beep and a honk....

What?

This pertains to how others on the road interpret what you are trying to signal to them.

Use of the horn can be misleading.

Are you giving a driver permission to pull out in front of you or trying to call attention to your presence and warn against it?

The horn can say different things depending on the situation and how it is used.

A long honk can indicate anger and incite road rage.

A quick beep may announce your presence but some will take it as permission to pull out in front of you.

Is there something in between that can be used as a warning to keep you safe but is not a middle finger salute?

And maybe a quick wave just to make sure things are not misinterpreted.

I have never been a regular horn user when on the road.
    Was recently recounting two different summer treks totaling around 10K miles with some buds and couldn’t recall a needed honk except for getting the attention of a herd of cattle on an open range backroad that were not moo-ving from the roadway as I rolled up to them.
    I try to avoid riding in anyone’s blind spot and try to make eye contact or SMIDSY weave with potential path crossers
    Same for H, except when her tankbag contacts horn button while slow maneuvering at stops or getting my attention before rolling off if we are not connected via headsets.
    Have been in parts of the country where it seems blasting or beeping is standard practice, just not my thing as I just move away from reasons to use it as a emotional tool and enjoy my ride. Some places a honk is an aggressive move leading to more issues I have no time or need for.

I probably use hand signals of phone to ear, a WTF upward palm shoulder shrug, or a wave way before a horn... too each his own
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I was trying to think back on the few close calls I have had and the last thing I was thinking at the time was, "honk the horn!". I was too busy avoiding an accident to honk! The few times I have used the horn were drivers trying to make a lane change into my lane in slow city traffic. The last time was in the city, coming up to a red light, someone change lanes into mine, cutting me off. I swerved to the left hand curb and ended up stopping right beside the driver's door. I missed the back of his car by inches. The whole indecent probably didn't cover 50 feet and a couple seconds. The driver looked over his shoulder, but he was committed already. One of those, do the maneuver, then see if the road is clear deals. He rolled down his window and apologized his heart out. I just told him to not worry about it, but look first next time.

IMO, most accidents a horn honk would have been useless as the offending driver will not react fast enough. You see someone cutting you off. It takes you a fraction of a second to honk, it takes the other driver another fraction of a second to hear the honk and realize it was meant for him and then to do something about it. The whole thing take a second, maybe 2 or 3 for someone to react. At any speed over 30 MPH the crash happened already!

Best use of a horn? Honk at pretty women, unless your wife is along!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I've managed to stop more than a few drivers from pulling out of a driveway or running a stopping with a loud blast of a horn. I'll worry about road rage after I am through worrying about getting run over. To be sure, most errant drivers look more surprised than angry.

Post Leaning Tower of Pisa

Leaning Tower of Pisa

When in or approaching a left hand curve (on right hand roads) this is an easy to spot, early clue that an oncoming vehicle may go wide and enter your lane.

Most vehicles will have a noticeable lean when taking a curve at higher than posted speed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/horror-cr...081604613.html
    Last edited by wildbears; 01-17-2020 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Link corrected....

Post Misleading signals redux...

What again?

This time when using your high beam.

And again, this pertains to how others on the road interpret what you mean by flashing it.

Flashing the high beam can be misleading.

Are you giving a driver permission to pull out in front of you or trying to call attention to your presence and warn against it?

Flashing the high beam can say different things depending on the situation and how it is used.

Keeping the high beam on can indicate anger and incite road rage.

A quick flash may announce your presence but some will take it as permission to pull out in front of you.

Is there something in between that can be used as a warning to keep you safe but is not a middle finger salute?

And again, maybe a quick wave just to make sure things are not misinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by randyjaco View Post
    The position of the ST horn button pretty much guarantees that I don't offend anyone. I can never find it in a hurry. It is about as convenient as the turn signal cancellation button

Randy
    It seems to be a BMW "thing" to put the horn button where you can't reach it. Angrily flashing your left blinker at offending motorists is generally the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    It seems to be a BMW "thing" to put the horn button where you can't reach it. Angrily flashing your left blinker at offending motorists is generally the result.
    Or, pressing the starter button to cancel the right turn signal...…...
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Post Breaking the Seal on the Horn...

When riding, locating the horn button and using the horn seem to be difficult for many of us.

A possible way around this is to "break the seal on the horn" as soon as you get out on the pavement.

That is, just do a short beep.

This will reinforce the location of the horn button in your mind/reflexes.

And perhaps might make you less timid about using the horn when needed.

YRMV

Post The tip of your nose...

Windshields that are higher than the tip of your nose may block your vision when dirty or it is raining.

Especially at night.