Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Pavement paranoia!

Question

Many Gold Wing riders of yore likely chose not to wear a helmet on the older models because of the increased wind noise and buffeting.

Here's a pic of Rollie Free's gear and riding position he used to establish a speed record.

NOTE: He is wearing a helmet!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wildbears; 02-18-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Post Pilgrimage for Clean Air

Windscreens create less turbulence if the trailing negative pressure is reduced.

On a typical motorcycle windscreen, high pressure develops on the leading surface at the same time low pressure develops behind the screen.

When the pressure difference is great enough, the high pressure air pops into the low pressure region and produces turbulence/buffeting.

The pressure difference is proportion to wind speed.

Some bikes, for example the 2nd edition of the K1200RS, don't develop significant turbulence until around 50 mph. It progressively increases as wind speed increases.

Pilgrimage for Clean Air

Rollie Free Info:

"On the morning of September 13, 1948, Free raised the American motorcycle speed record by riding the very first Vincent HRD (it is debated as to whether it was a Black Lightning or Black Shadow), owned by the California sportsman John Edgar and sponsored by Mobil Oil, to a speed of 150.313 mph (241.905 km/h). Special features included the first-ever Vincent use of a rear shock absorber, the first Mk II racing cams, and horizontally mounted racing carburetors. Free adopted a style used by others of lying flat-prone along the machine's back spine,[4] thereby minimizing wind resistance and placing most weight over the rear wheel."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

Never thought I'd do it but I'm putting a small driving light on my airhead. Looks stupid but I'd look stupider in the ER. Car drivers don't know what they're doing out there and last season it was worse then bad. After passing a watered down no texting etc. law, drivers still don't give damn. The tickets for non-compliance are a joke. It's reality not paranoia. Follow the direction map on yer dash is another elephant in the closet. Gut check for texting would be suspension of license for six months and impounding of vehicle. It's like a DUI situation. Also installing a hype-light in the rear. Two cents.

Put both on my old K bike too. Also made a plastic bulge over the RS helmet buffeting windshield. Gives some clean air onto my helmet. Looks stupid too.

Aggressive Riding and Lane Changing Risks

(An aggressive) driving tendency has a significant effect on the risk level of lane-changing execution. More specifically, the more aggressive the driving tendency, the higher the risk level.
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ddns/2017/7328562/

Other known factors:

• Fatigue.
    • Improperly looking prior to lane change.
    • Driver distraction due to map or gps reading.
    • Under the influence of drugs/medications and/or alcohol.
    • Weather conditions limiting the drivers ability to see clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    Aggressive Riding and Lane Changing Risks

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ddns/2017/7328562/

Other known factors:

• Fatigue.
    • Improperly looking prior to lane change.
    • Driver distraction due to map or gps reading.
    • Under the influence of drugs/medications and/or alcohol.
    • Weather conditions limiting the drivers ability to see clearly.
    How in the hell is anyone but a higher education mathematician supposed to make sense out of anything in that link? I'll continue to rely on my senses, skills and peripheral vision when riding. Science is fabulous but only when one can make sense out of the technical data and properly apply that to the street. IMO, this link doesn't accomplish that,
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    How in the hell is anyone but a higher education mathematician supposed to make sense out of anything in that link? I'll continue to rely on my senses, skills and peripheral vision when riding. Science is fabulous but only when one can make sense out of the technical data and properly apply that to the street. IMO, this link doesn't accomplish that,
    In summary ............ Speed, following distance / gap and "driving tendency" are dominate factors in this model. Which sorta supports your observation of nothing new.

However it is a traffic risk model developed by Chinese researchers at a Chinese University using Chinese Gov't funds. Potentially, this little risk model could be an element in the design of artificial Intelligence software for a "smart" autonomous car or other vehicle.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks