Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Pavement paranoia!

Pilgrimage for Clean Air

Rollie Free Info:

"On the morning of September 13, 1948, Free raised the American motorcycle speed record by riding the very first Vincent HRD (it is debated as to whether it was a Black Lightning or Black Shadow), owned by the California sportsman John Edgar and sponsored by Mobil Oil, to a speed of 150.313 mph (241.905 km/h). Special features included the first-ever Vincent use of a rear shock absorber, the first Mk II racing cams, and horizontally mounted racing carburetors. Free adopted a style used by others of lying flat-prone along the machine's back spine,[4] thereby minimizing wind resistance and placing most weight over the rear wheel."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

Never thought I'd do it but I'm putting a small driving light on my airhead. Looks stupid but I'd look stupider in the ER. Car drivers don't know what they're doing out there and last season it was worse then bad. After passing a watered down no texting etc. law, drivers still don't give damn. The tickets for non-compliance are a joke. It's reality not paranoia. Follow the direction map on yer dash is another elephant in the closet. Gut check for texting would be suspension of license for six months and impounding of vehicle. It's like a DUI situation. Also installing a hype-light in the rear. Two cents.

Put both on my old K bike too. Also made a plastic bulge over the RS helmet buffeting windshield. Gives some clean air onto my helmet. Looks stupid too.

Aggressive Riding and Lane Changing Risks

(An aggressive) driving tendency has a significant effect on the risk level of lane-changing execution. More specifically, the more aggressive the driving tendency, the higher the risk level.
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ddns/2017/7328562/

Other known factors:

• Fatigue.
    • Improperly looking prior to lane change.
    • Distraction due to map or gps reading.
    • Talking on a blue tooth device.
    • Under the influence of drugs/medications and/or alcohol.
    • Weather conditions limiting the drivers ability to see clearly.
    Last edited by wildbears; 02-25-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    Aggressive Riding and Lane Changing Risks

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ddns/2017/7328562/

Other known factors:

• Fatigue.
    • Improperly looking prior to lane change.
    • Driver distraction due to map or gps reading.
    • Under the influence of drugs/medications and/or alcohol.
    • Weather conditions limiting the drivers ability to see clearly.
    How in the hell is anyone but a higher education mathematician supposed to make sense out of anything in that link? I'll continue to rely on my senses, skills and peripheral vision when riding. Science is fabulous but only when one can make sense out of the technical data and properly apply that to the street. IMO, this link doesn't accomplish that,
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    How in the hell is anyone but a higher education mathematician supposed to make sense out of anything in that link? I'll continue to rely on my senses, skills and peripheral vision when riding. Science is fabulous but only when one can make sense out of the technical data and properly apply that to the street. IMO, this link doesn't accomplish that,
    In summary ............ Speed, following distance / gap and "driving tendency" are dominate factors in this model. Which sorta supports your observation of nothing new.

However it is a traffic risk model developed by Chinese researchers at a Chinese University using Chinese Gov't funds. Potentially, this little risk model could be an element in the design of artificial Intelligence software for a "smart" autonomous car or other vehicle.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Post What Can Fatality Rates Tell Us About Motorcycle Safety?

What Can Fatality Rates Tell Us About Motorcycle Safety?

Helmets???

BAC???

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...rcycle-safety/

I went to pick up a box of parts, on the floor.
    I ripped one nail off half way up my finger.
    Never felt a thing, but noticed some blood
    Wonder how the bones would do on a simple impact.
    Kind of worries me.

ATGATT.
    John
    Defiance, MO
    96 BMW R1100GS; 17 KTM 350 EXC-F; 20 R1250 GS Adventure HP

Post Riding Technique

Become a Better Street Rider With "The Pace 2.0"

"The street is not a racetrack: How to ride swiftly and safely on the road"

"Give yourself a straight-line speed limit when youíre out sport riding. There are a few states that have mandatory jail time for speeds over 100 mph, so setting your own limits might save major hassle. Want to go seriously fast all day? Visit your local racetrack ... Bonneville ... Maxton ... Mirage ... the dragstrip. On the street, know that lots of speed all the time will eventually catch you out."

https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/1...riding-skills/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    After passing a watered down no texting etc. law, drivers still don't give damn. The tickets for non-compliance are a joke. It's reality not paranoia. Follow the direction map on yer dash is another elephant in the closet. Gut check for texting would be suspension of license for six months and impounding of vehicle. It's like a DUI situation.

Just talking on a cell phone is equivalent to being intoxicated.

Most agree, texting is even worse as your eyes and attention are away from the road.

And making matters worse, drunks text and drive at the same time!

From the Net:

Talking On A Hands-Free Cellphone While Driving Is As Bad As Driving Drunk

https://www.businessinsider.com/talk...g-drunk-2013-8

Our state and federal agencies do a lot of good work in the area of motorcycle safety. While many of the study results (Helmet laws) aren't popular with some parts of the MC community, the studies are being conducted.

Chapter 5 and Appendix 5 of this NHTSA report on countermeasures is good, but please read the detailed assessments in the Appendix to understand the evaluation of effectiveness. In many cases, it's a lack of definitive evaluations that result in the low score on effectiveness. https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...res-guide-.pdf

Another good read is the annual report from the Governor's Highway Safety Association on motorcycle safety.
    https://www.ghsa.org/sites/default/f...cyclists18.pdf

While both of these studies point to Helmet Laws as the most effective means of reducing fatalities, they also note the resistance of entrenched motorcyclist (political) groups, like ABATE & the AMA, which will prevent the enactment of these laws. Sadly the assessment of training programs to counterbalance the No-Helmet Law crowd is not promising. As noted in the federal register, the 2015 proposed rule for safety helmets acknowledges a significant number of riders choosing novelty helmets, even in states with mandatory helmet laws.
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...2015-11756.pdf

Finally, the fine folks at the Center for Disease Control have also looked at the data and costs
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6123a1.htm
    Last edited by 36654; 02-25-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Post Pilgrimage for Clean Air

One way to reduce the "Coke Bottle" effect with a full face helmet is to use a "chin curtain".

These are available for many makes of helmets and are designed to reduce or eliminate the opening between the rider's chin and the "chin bar" of the helmet.

Below is an example of a Chin Curtain for the Shoei Neotec helmets. It slides in place between the shell and EPS liner on the bottom of the chin bar below the lower vent. It is constructed with a soft mesh material that allows some air circulation within the helmet for heat and moisture dissipation.

Shoei Chin Curtain.PNG

Other devices enclose the entire rider's neck at the helmet bottom. These may be more effective for wind noise reduction but can result in heat and moisture retention problems on helmets without sufficient shell ventilation.

Below is an example of the Windjammer product.

WindJammer.PNG
    Last edited by wildbears; 02-26-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Lightbulb The "Pavement Paranoia" Thread

The "Pavement Paranoia" thread is dedicated to four of my friends who died in separate, preventable, motorcycle accidents.

The thread is meant to encourage the use of ATGAT and safe riding practices.

Most of the information is old hat while some is new and novel.

Discussion is welcome and encouraged.

There are multiple sub-threads. These should be reviewed in their entirety in order to avoid taking a single post out of context.

Please only use information that makes sense to you and for your riding style.

(From post #1)

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    One way to reduce the "Coke Bottle" effect with a full face helmet is to use a "chin curtain".

These are available for many makes of helmets and are designed to reduce or eliminate the opening between the rider's chin and the "chin bar" of the helmet.

Below is an example of a Chin Curtain for the Shoei Neotec helmets. It slides in place between the shell and EPS liner on the bottom of the chin bar below the lower vent. It is constructed with a soft mesh material that allows some air circulation within the helmet for heat and moisture dissipation.

Shoei Chin Curtain.PNG

Other devices enclose the entire rider's neck at the helmet bottom. These may be more effective for wind noise reduction but can result in heat and moisture retention problems on helmets without sufficient shell ventilation.

Below is an example of the Windjammer product.

WindJammer.PNG
    Your interpretation of Dr. Kennedy's research has resulted in a very incorrect analogy, i.e., the Coke Bottle effect. At no point did Kennedy or other researchers claim the region behind the chin bar was functioning as a resonator with a distinctive, high energy tone. What he said was..paraphrasing.Ö.the measured unsteady pressures under the front of the helmet correlated to the sound spectra (i.e., sound level vs frequency) measured at the riders ear. This was a significant contribution because many riders and acousticians would have assumed the dominant sources were the turbulent flows on the exterior of the helmet shell at the top (near the vents) or in the separated flow region at the back of the helmet.

The incorrect interpretation of the phenomena would lead one to investigate small changes in cavity throat area and volume behind the face shield / chin bar to eliminate or avoid the resonant condition with expectations of large sound level reductions. In a worse case scenario, let's call it the AMA/ABATE scenario, an unscrupulous, politically motivated person could make the extrapolation that no chin bar or face shield helmet would eliminate this resonant (Coke Bottle) condition.

What is severely lacking in this discussion is at-ear sound level measurements with various types of helmets at speed. As indicated by Kennedy's work, the helmet pitch angle (i.e., tilt) and position relative to the windscreen severely alter the flow field at the front and below the helmet (his last paper has smoke streak tests from the wind tunnel evaluations). Typically, changes in streak path curvature indicate high local velocities and noise level is a 4~6 power function of the maximum velocity (dB ~ V^4~6).

There are studies of the noise level reductions (i.e., insertion loss) for well-fitting full-coverage helmets which show significant sound level reductions at the high end of human hearing (8K Hz) but nothing at low frequencies (~125Hz). However, these tests were done stationary, in the same manner as any hearing protector test.

Nice Thread.

Just a quick response on visibility and lane position. I have recently, in the last 12 months or so changed my habitual lane position from left wheel track to right wheel track (closer to the fog line). After watching a video study David Peterson (Best Rest Products) did, I was able to see the enhanced conspicuity of pushing that bike further right, not to mention the increased degree of reaction time and maneuver space gained from oncoming traffic crossing the center line usually due to texting or fixation.

I also have clear-water yellow covers over my darlas that I run in the daylight to enhance that oncoming visual footprint.

Here is an article I recently wrote for the Army Safety Center as a motorcycle mentor. It touched on some of the points made in this thread.

https://safety.army.mil/MEDIA/Risk-M...2-PLR-Analysis
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President