• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How do I start this '03 K1200LT?

I don't know if this works on other models but on the K1200LT analog dashes USA years 1999 to 2004 the water temp light lets you know if the interlocks to keep the engine from starting are ok. When you turn the key on if the water temp light is on it is ready to start. If the light is off one or more of the interlocks will keep the engine from cranking over. The temp light is the red light on the left.

Attachments

• Lt Interlock 002.jpg
    Lt Interlock 002.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 98
I'm too cheap to heat the garage :)
You need to heat your garage up there because your hand will freeze to the car door handle in the morning :)

LOL! My wife and I like warm vehicles when it is on "chilly" side, but I also work out there at least once a week, most weekends I will be out in the garage working on some project. I was out there most of Saturday and Sunday.

Years ago I did the math and it came to an average of about $1 a day to heat it through the fall, winter and spring. We would burn up more gasoline warming up the vehicles in the morning. I refuse to drive a cold vehicle like many will with snow a frost obscuring your view of the road. It just isn't safe.

I refuse to drive a cold vehicle like many will with snow a frost obscuring your view of the road. It just isn't safe.

When I lived in the Dakotas this is precisely why every car or truck I owned had an electric soft plug heater installed.

Best,
DeVern

When I lived in the Dakotas this is precisely why every car or truck I owned had an electric soft plug heater installed.

Best,
DeVern

A soft plug heater keeps the engine warmer for cold weather starts, but you still need to let it idle for a while to get any decent temp out of the heater to get the defroster warm enough o keep the windshield clear.

Sounds like the Immobilizer Is Working

Bought an '03 K1200LT. My first BMW. Got it cheap with a dead battery. Replaced the battery, turned on the ignition, press the starter button, and nothing happens. No clicks, nothing. There is a security fob, in which I replaced the battery as well. Is there a starting procedure that I don't know about? The bike has 30k miles, and had receipts for servicing and tires 2k miles ago.

Had my moments over the years with the security alarms in KLTs. Thought I'd share my experience.

I bought my 2006 used and I had to deactivate the immobilizer with the fob at each start even though the overall security alarm hadn't been set (stopping for gas that kind of stop). Found it to be annoying on a trip to Quebec as I was trying to keep up with 6 other riders so I paid good money to have the immobilizer inactivated for when the ignition had been turned off. Tried doing it myself. No easy task. Funny on a 2005 KLT that I also owned I was able to figure it out back in 2007. Getting old I guess.:beer

In the above '03 K1200LT it could be that either the main battery is low if in cold storage, and once it warms up things will be alright or the battery was installed wrong. I'd still question the fobs and alarm setting sequencing. Bad immobilizer if there's such a thing, perhaps.

Last resort may require getting the K trailered to a BMW dealership as they'll probably be able to figure the whole thing out in seconds. $$$$.

Personal note: I hope to ride this year since I was dealing with medical all of last year with no riding. My K has been sitting on a charger for a year with infrequent starts and alarm resets. (Entertaining offers see CycleTrader.)

Montana would be too far from Mass. for me but I'll be there in spirit!! Been to Charleston, Vermont rally and Bloomsburg on a different K bike each time since 2003.

Good luck on getting this K up and running!! Think Spring!!

starting procedure

Bought an '03 K1200LT. My first BMW. Got it cheap with a dead battery. Replaced the battery, turned on the ignition, press the starter button, and nothing happens. No clicks, nothing. There is a security fob, in which I replaced the battery as well. Is there a starting procedure that I don't know about? The bike has 30k miles, and had receipts for servicing and tires 2k miles ago.

Turn key on, press right fob button, dash lights will blink, then press starter button. Should start. Make that the left or ribbed button, AKA the A button on the fob.

Last edited:
Back