• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do I start this '03 K1200LT?

1972flh

Bought an '03 K1200LT. My first BMW. Got it cheap with a dead battery. Replaced the battery, turned on the ignition, press the starter button, and nothing happens. No clicks, nothing. There is a security fob, in which I replaced the battery as well. Is there a starting procedure that I don't know about? The bike has 30k miles, and had receipts for servicing and tires 2k miles ago.

Bought an '03 K1200LT. My first BMW. Got it cheap with a dead battery. Replaced the battery, turned on the ignition, press the starter button, and nothing happens. No clicks, nothing. There is a security fob, in which I replaced the battery as well. Is there a starting procedure that I don't know about? The bike has 30k miles, and had receipts for servicing and tires 2k miles ago.

More info is needed. Do other electricals like lights and horn work? And of course, verify all the basics—bike in neutral, engine cut-off switch in run position, etc. It sounds like there an alarm system fitted to the bike—have you asked the previous owner about the security fob and/or alarm system operation?

Best,
DeVern

Receipts for 2,000 miles, but how many years?

Some riders will put on 15,000 miles a year, how long has it been sitting?

On the K1200 there's two battery cables on the negative post.
Did you miss the 2nd negative cable when the battery was replaced.

Maybe it is another negative cable.

On the K1200 there's two battery cables on the negative post.
Did you miss the 2nd negative cable when the battery was replaced.

There were two extra black cables. One had an inline fuse that I assumed was for an accessory, like the extra driving lights that are on the front forks. The other I connected to the positive terminal. I would have expected an arc. When I turn on the key, all the lights and signals work. Idiot lights illuminate as well. I also hear a noise that I assumed was the fuel pump pressuring up. The kill switch was in the run position, and I had the kickstand up and down. I'll try moving that black cable to the negative terminal and see what happens.

Welcome to the forum!
Hard for me to tell what is up from way over here....
I think I would do some testing on “continuity” before swapping 12v cables of unknown termination. Don’t want to let the “smoke” out of the wires :)
There are members here that are real familiar with these bikes. They can help.
Gary

There were two extra black cables. One had an inline fuse s.

Those cables may be a pigtail for a battery charger or heated jacket liner.
Like Omega Man said don't swap cables if you don't know where they came from.

Welcome to the forum.

The negative cable should be a black & Brown wire. The two positive cables should be black with a red sleeve on the end. One positive cable comes from the front right side & the other comes from the left side. If it is in neutral it shouldn't matter if the side stand is up or not if the switch is ok. The positive cable that comes from the left side might not have the red sleeve on it.

Attachments

• LT Batt Cables 004.jpg
    LT Batt Cables 004.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 213
  • LT Batt Cables 008.jpg
    LT Batt Cables 008.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 212
It looks to me that it would be very easy to cross the battery leads on this bike.
Jeez that could real expensive real quick.
Unmarked positive lead? ouch

K1200 starting issue

Don't you have to worry about starting with a "low voltage" battery? It welds the starter contacts. I don't know on the 1200 but that seems to be an issue with the K75S. If you just bought it and the original owner let the battery get low and then when testing you may have started it and ran it for a few minutes which actually took more out of the battery then put in.
Just a thought. You are asking the right people here! Welcome and enjoy all the help.

cheers!

markw

Back