• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1998 R1200c disconcerting noises and general musings

m4bmw

I finally got my dream bike a couple of years ago. (please no shoes or fruit thrown.) It had 11000 miles on it so It's practically new.
During my 2 years of shakedown cruising I only had one major problem. The tank liner decided it didn't like it in there. I cleaned it all out changed the fuel pump and filter and will run like that since I'm in Texas and it will be ridden year round.

During this time I have probably read every article about r1200c that exists. The pokie page is good too. I have asked lots of questions on FaceBook and stuff. My battery let me down a few weeks ago so I got a new one and am changing it over the next coupla of days. While tank is off I will install the idle fuel jumper to get that working. I may remove the carbon canister too.

One thing for sure. Keep the air fuel tubing leak free. I need to check and tighten them up once a week.

Here is the bad part. All the noise articles on the interwebs mention the usual noises. Mine has two unusual noises and I am wondering what else I should look at while tank is off and things are accessible. First noise first. When starting engine it will turn over a few times then die and while dying a sharp noise like two pieces of steel slamming together. Seems like maybe a starter noise as I have heard this somewhat from ancient bendixes. Sounds like right cylinder is where it seems from.

Second noise. Same status, starting engine. Engine will turn over fine and whether or not it ever fires as I'm letting off starter button because I'm not one to push it more than a few seconds at a time. When I let off the same right cyl sounds like a steam train letting loose a cylinder full of air at pressure. Just recently once it let off the air but started on up. I'm still trying to sort this weirdness.

I'm quite sure some of y'all have heard these noises too. Am I gonna be stranded? So thankful for internet and helpfull folks around here. In 83 when I got my R80st It was me and the dealer for all things BMW and they stripped my rearend drain plug on my first trip to them for initial service. I'm still not over that.

Thanks and have fun.

ps. anyone have a line on the little caps over the vacuum ports in the fuel air piping. Mine look worn enough to replace. Might be the initial leak starter, Then she backfires and it's all loose. Wheee. I'm looking for the solution if anyone wants to add input.

Definitely nuke that canister... Vacuum caps can be found at any auto parts store, but they will probably be a sloppy fit - I've added a little tie-wrap to make sure they stay put. Caps that fit snugly are found on the older K-Bike parts fische, p/n 13 54 7 694 924 ... but of course they charge a Bring My Wallet price for 'em.

13 54 7 694 924 PROTECTION CAP 2 $2.44

Have you upgraded the Left cam tensioner? (3 parts)
That typically is the source of the sharp snap sound.
Do it before the chain guide breaks.
11 31 7 688 629 CYLINDER F CHAIN TENSIONER, LEFT
11 31 7 656 922 PISTON LEFT
07 11 9 963 308 GASKET RING - A18X22-CU
also available from Beemer Boneyard
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/11317656922cuk.html
The way to tell if it is the old style - 17mm hex = old, 15mm hex = new style.

As far as the fuel lines go, if you have to tighten once a week, they are hardening up and will need replacing.
This is typical of this vintage of machine. A maintenance item.

Note: If you have the original OE black rubber brake lines replace them as well. They fail without warning.
Replace with SS Teflon lines - I prefer Spiegler brand - fit first time every time and the ends are indexable.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on your excellent choice of motorcycles!

A couple of suggestions:

If you haven't found it yet, come on over to www.chromeheads.org for all things R1200C related. Great site with lots of helpful folks.

Pokie's pages rock and will help you out immensely.

Familiarize yourself with parts fiche available on line. You can find the little caps there. I go to Max BMW for my reference. https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/partsfiche.aspx

Don't worry too much about the tank liner. As long as you keep the loose pieces out and the mesh sock clear, you should be ok.

On your fuel supply issue, make sure that the lines are firmly attached and not pinched, including inside the tank. They can come loose and possibly split if worn out.

Regarding noises: You may need to upgrade your cam chain tensioner on the left cylinder. This could be what you are hearing on start up.

The other noise, or air leak is likely from an improperly seated air intake manifold located behind the chrome side cover. Be careful to not over tighten, as you could collapse it. While you are there, check for cracks, as this could be your source of air leaks. On the Chromeheads site, check for "POIM," Popped Off Intake Manifold.

I don't think you have anything major to worry about at this point. Best of luck, you live in a great area to ride.

Hope this helps.

Found one issue

Went to look a vacuum caps. the one i looked at before was bad enoufg but i did my best to refurb it. Looked at the other one and it was split to the point of falling off. A definite leak. Glued it back together and refurbed it and put it on. Then ordered 2 from euromotoelectric for $3.00.

But the noises yall are telling me about are the known noises. this is one loud metallic snap and a huge whoosh of air coming out. Not a suction of a vacuum line come loose. Gotta keep on these I guess.

Thanks.

i think the noise may well be a screetching starter clutch. Remove starter. Clean things up. Spray cleaner (I use Brake System Cleaner) into the visible seam on the round silver disk at the nose of the starter. Turn the starter gear several turns. Then spray WD40 into the same seam. Reinstall starter.

Back