• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Cedar City, Utah -- September 11-13, 2020

Great ride!

This will be an awesome ride for me heading out of Susanville! Should be an easy 2 day ride stopping off in Tonopah! Really looking forward for this ride!

Sorry have to cancel my attendance at this event

Hi all,

Ellen and I were looking forward to this event. We need to cancel. Please pass our registration fee to anyone who would like to go. Thanks, Howard

This coming up soon. Who is going, and from where? We are heading down from Montana. Planning on riding Nebo Loop on the way down. See you there.

Adding Hwy 150 to Nebo Loop

Planning on riding Nebo Loop on the way down.
Kevin if time allows and depending on your route add Hwy 150 from Evanston, WY to Kamas, UT. You will go over Bald Mtn Pass at 10,759 ft. I rode 150 today and Nebo Loop as well. Roads were in great shape but lots of cattle and sheep on Nebo Loop road. Darrell

Kevin if time allows and depending on your route add Hwy 150 from Evanston, WY to Kamas, UT. You will go over Bald Mtn Pass at 10,759 ft. I rode 150 today and Nebo Loop as well. Roads were in great shape but lots of cattle and sheep on Nebo Loop road. Darrell

Not familiar with the Nebo Loop or Hwy 150, but from the description wow it sounds like a neat route! You folks out West have some amazing riding options.

Not familiar with the Nebo Loop or Hwy 150, but from the description wow it sounds like a neat route! You folks out West have some amazing riding options.

We do, in many areas. I rode from Boise to the Coeur d'Alene Getaway last weekend. Highway 55 from Boise to New Meadows, and then Highway 95 on to Coeur d'Alene is 380 miles of 90% curving roads from big fast sweepers to pretty tight technical roads, often combined with significant climes or drops of a thousand feet or more. The White Bird Hill climbs 2,700 feet in seven miles (a 7% grade). That's the new highway. The old highway which is still maintained as an emergency alternate route climbs another 200 feet higher through a series Alps-like switchbacks. The new highway is the one on the left and the old highway is the one on the right in the picture below.

It's been my theory that the major reason that MOA members from west of the Rockies attend "eastern" events is such low number is because many believe they have such good riding much closer. :scratch

Attachments

• Doc3_resize.jpg
    Doc3_resize.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 56
Hi all,

Ellen and I were looking forward to this event. We need to cancel. Please pass our registration fee to anyone who would like to go. Thanks, Howard

Howard,
You will need to contact the BMW MOA office to cancel and see if you may be able to get a refund. The Forum is not monitored for needs like this. Thanks.

We do, in many areas. I rode from Boise to the Coeur d'Alene Getaway last weekend. Highway 55 from Boise to New Meadows, and then Highway 95 on to Coeur d'Alene is 380 miles of 90% curving roads from big fast sweepers to pretty tight technical roads, often combined with significant climes or drops of a thousand feet or more. The White Bird Hill climbs 2,700 feet in seven miles (a 7% grade). That's the new highway. The old highway which is still maintained as an emergency alternate route climbs another 200 feet higher through a series Alps-like switchbacks. The new highway is the one on the left and the old highway is the one on the right in the picture below.

It's been my theory that the major reason that MOA members from west of the Rockies attend "eastern" events is such low number is because many believe they have such good riding much closer. :scratch

That is neat. Are they keeping the old highway open, too, or just going to let it deteriorate then close it? I'd like to ride my bicycle up that.

That is neat. Are they keeping the old highway open, too, or just going to let it deteriorate then close it? I'd like to ride my bicycle up that.

The old highway is maintained and open. They need it at times when the new highway is too slick from snow and ice for traffic (especially big trucks) to get up or down it safely.

This coming up soon. Who is going, and from where? We are heading down from Montana. Planning on riding Nebo Loop on the way down. See you there.

We’re on the cusp of fall color season, and that always brings out people from the metro area for their fall sightseeing tour. I find a fall ride on the Nebo Loop is more enjoyable northbound than south, as in my experience the northbound traffic has been lighter.

And from Kamas SR35 over Wolf Creek to Duchesne, then US191 through Indian Canyon to Helper/Price. Then southbound on SR10 for a taste of Castle Country and cross under I-70 to SR72 and Loa. Then SR24 to SR62 and pick up US89 to Panguitch, where SR143, SR148, and SR14 will take you right into Cedar City.

And just many days were you planning to take on the way down?? :bliss:bliss

Best,
DeVern

Tonight we are in Logan, UT and planning to head to Evanston, WY in the morning. However.... the forecast for Evanston, Kamas and the Bald Mountain area is very sketchy. Trying to decide if we should bypass and head for lower and warmer places. Any sage advice from locals will be much appreciated.

Tonight we are in Logan, UT and planning to head to Evanston, WY in the morning. However.... the forecast for Evanston, Kamas and the Bald Mountain area is very sketchy. Trying to decide if we should bypass and head for lower and warmer places. Any sage advice from locals will be much appreciated.

My not-so-sage input...

The ski crowd was dancing last night and this morning as we had snow down to 6000ft. Tonight’s low in Logan is forecast at 32 degrees so with last night’s precipitation and tomorrow morning’s temps Logan Canyon has the potential to be a bit sketchy from the Peter Sinks area to the top in the early morning. Options include a later departure or a trip through Sardine Canyon on US89 to Brigham City then south on 89 through the “old fruit way”—peaches are on right now and numerous fruit stands along the way. Stay on 89 into Ogden (Washington Blvd) to 12th Street then east on SR39 through Ogden Canyon to SR167 (Trapper’s Loop) and south to Mountain Green. Left on old SR30 all the way to Morgan, where you can cross under I-84 to SR66 and down East Canyon, past Bald Mtn, and continue on with your planned route.

Unless you’re leaving at zero-dark-30 by the time you get to East Canyon roads and weather shouldn’t be an issue. And if you’re looking for a breakfast stop along the way, Chris’ place on SR39 just east of the Trapper’s Loop turnoff has great pancakes.

If I didn’t have to hit DMV in the morning and renew my DL I’d happily show the way in person, since I need some o-rings from the dealer in SLC anyway. ;)

Best,
DeVern

Thank you DeVern, we will follow your advice. What do you think Nebo Loop will be like.

You can probably get away without a driver’s license for a few more days.... probably.

Thank you DeVern, we will follow your advice. What do you think Nebo Loop will be like.

Mt. Nebo had snow on Aug 18th, so with this most recent storm it is possible to see some accumulation at the back sides of the peaks, at least until it warms up this weekend. Breezy and cool would be my guess, and at the upper reaches of the road (over 9000’) I’d not expect tomorrow’s temps above 38-44F at midday. Best bet is to ask locally in Payson about the snow and road status. The fall colors up there should be spectacular now, tho.

You can probably get away without a driver’s license for a few more days.... probably.

Alas, it expires tomorrow, and the Covid situation has messed up advance renewals so to keep the same expiration date, and I have reasons for doing that, I have to renew tomorrow. Plus, with my luck I’d end up having a roadside conversation over the expiration status at one of the three areas on that route that see notable patrolling—Mantua, Perry, and Trapper’s.

Have a great ride,
DeVern

Back